PDA

View Full Version : Reuse of crock pot barbeque sauce

dtknowles
11-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Is it ok to reuse crock pot barbeque sauce? I made County Style Ribs in the crock pot yesterday. After pulling the ribs out of the pot (really mean, scooped the pieces of meat out of the pot because they falling apart) I let the sauce cool, skimmed the grease and put the sauce back into the bottle and put it back in the fridge.

Is it Ok to reuse it, it was quite tasty? Pro's and Con's?

Tim

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Heck Yeah,
I always save excess sauces and excess meat juices for leftovers or even another new entree. The trick is to cool it quickly and keep it cool (frig temp) til you use it again...I try not to save anything like that for more than a week or so.

gbrown
11-26-2013, 03:29 PM
i've used leftover sauces of all kinds. You can also freeze it, it keeps good. It's just like any other sauce, chili or stew.

orangezuk
11-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Between heating and cooling is when the "bad things" grow.
The real danger zone is when we let foods cool before refrigerating. In the restaurant world most foods are only allowed two (2) manipulations, ie. cooking & reheating or repurposing for another dish. Personally, I keep left over sauces, stock, ect. but I only take out an amount I will use and make damn sure I reheat them over 120deg. Once something has gone through its 2nd life it gets tossed.

*side note; This is a big reason your restaurant leftovers or "doggie bag" are bad news, asking to get sick

Baja_Traveler
11-26-2013, 05:10 PM
I just used the foiling juice I saved from smoking two racks of ribs over the summer - made an awesome addition to my smoked pork shoulder chili.

Just scoop the fat off the top and use the deliciousness below...

dtknowles
11-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Guys. I think I will find a use in the next week. Maybe do the ribs again.

Tim

MaryB
11-27-2013, 12:36 AM
I freeze it in ice cube trays then pop it out and into a ziplock. Pop out a cube and add it to whatever you need.

Shiloh
12-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Freeze it. At least what you won't use in 5 or so days. Sauces freeze well.

Shiloh