PDA

View Full Version : What are my options on rear sights for a Ruger Blackhawk?

C. Latch
11-25-2013, 11:24 PM
I took my Bisley .45 to the woods the other day and shot a doe with it; I hit her a bit high, it seemed, and it bothered me a great deal. So yesterday I went back and shot at another doe - and missed her clean.

I picked up the rifle laying beside me and laid her and two of her friends out, but the miss with the pistol bothered me - so this morning I shot the Ruger at 30 yards, and found my sights were off ~4" or so, mostly high and a bit to the right. I adjusted them and for now they seem ok.

I have heard of other people having issues with Ruger's rear sights on their blackhawks; some people complain about loose adjustments, some complain about slop between the sight body and the slot it sits in; others complain about easily broken blades. I don't know specifically what happened to mine; all I know is that 1) my sights moved several inches in a couple of weeks, causing me to miss a deer (though all is well that ends well; she went home with me anyway), and 2) during load development I had a couple of weird groups that I attributed to leading or other gremlins, but maybe I was having sight issues and didn't realize it, and 3) I have S&W revolvers with adjustable rears that haven't moved in 20 years.

If I still lived where I had a range in my yard, I'd take it upon myself to learn my way around this rear sight, but I don't have that luxury.

That leads me to my question: if I want to replace this sight with an aftermarket assembly, what options do I have? A quick google search turns up Bowen, and they look nice, but what else is there? I'm content with a simple black square notch, but who all makes such a thing?

Mk42gunner
11-26-2013, 01:12 AM
I think Bowen is about it. I am not sure if Millet made any rear sights for Blackhawks before they went out of business or not, but finding one would be quite a chore.

Robert

jmort
11-26-2013, 01:20 AM
I like these:

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html

Norbrat
11-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Willimas gun sights are now making Firesights to suit the Rugers http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pistol.htm

45sixgun
11-26-2013, 06:18 PM
I have three Ruger SA's with adjustable rear sights––two factory and one Bowen. I've never had any problems with them going out of adjustment. Sometimes a pin will start to creep out, but that's an easy fix. Have you explored all of the possibilities with this?

C. Latch
11-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks, folks. I don't really have time to tinker with a sight that is going to move on me; I have a pile of unfinished projects I'd like to fix 'one of these days' and I try not to add to that pile. I'll look at both Bowen and the Williams sights. I'm not a fan of the peep rear idea for handguns, but I appreciate the link anyway.

Thanks!

C. Latch
12-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Well, I decided to tinker with the sight, and Wednesday night I rebuilt it, with some copper-wire shims in strategic places, and I bent the pin that holds it in (didn't know how loose it was until I went to remove it and it fell out).

I checked zero yesterday (got within one click of W and one of E after reassembly!) and was going to epoxy the thing together today and forget it. Then I dropped it, onto a relativelys oft floor, from a height of less than 2 feet, and broke the blade.

So.....Bowen Target or Bowen Rough Country? Which one do I need?

45sixgun
12-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Sorry about that accident. Sounds like you almost had a solution. I have the rough country square notch with white outline. Can't speak for the target, but I like mine.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-csEXUphuHbk/Tw29HjeCidI/AAAAAAAAaEk/DJV6EcgCuLQ/s800/P1040868-1.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rqLfVq89Wqw/Tw29KzfJXmI/AAAAAAAAaEs/TYDFsyWIm1I/s800/P1040873-1.JPG

C. Latch
12-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Does yours fit tightly into the frame notch, or does it wobble side-to-side like the factory sight?

How hard is it to adjust windage? I'm really not even sure that matters, as windage adjustments SHOULD be a one-time thing.

45sixgun
12-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Adjustments were easy.

But for the sake of full disclosure, and to answer your question, there is a miniscule amount of side play. A shim would easily take care of it. I haven't put in the shim, yet this gun is still my most accurate out of four SA revolvers. I can get one inch groups at 25 yards with it.

And I haven't had to do any readjustments so far. It stays on.

C. Latch
12-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I'd think it would be hard to make a sight without some sideplay and still expect it to fit a ruger revolver made on a production line.

I'll order the RC.

C. Latch
12-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Ordered. :smile:

45sixgun
12-07-2013, 05:29 PM
I think you'll like it. A bit costly, but worth it, being so well-made. Good luck with it.

Lefty SRH
12-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Bowen rears are the way to go for both Ruger SA and DA revolvers. I have them in all my Rugers except for one. And thats only because i havent ordered one for it yet.

Outpost75
12-07-2013, 06:41 PM
+1 on the Bowen Rough Country sights. I have them on both my Rugers.

Changeling
12-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Bowen makes the best sights I have ever seen (If your eyes are OK).

W.R.Buchanan
12-09-2013, 12:21 AM
+1 on Bowen for the rear

Weigand on the front, interchangeable blades makes it really versatile.

Randy

C. Latch
12-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Well, the Bowen showed up this afternoon. I wolfed down supper so I could hurry up and install it. It's gorgeous, it fits snugly (no sideplay) and I'm impressed. I took some measurements and adjusted it to approximate zero, and can't wait to shoot it again.

I'm impressed. Not sure what I was expecting, but this thing is nice!

Thanks for the advice, folks. I think I'll like this one.

Lefty SRH
12-14-2013, 10:56 AM
+1 on Bowen for the rear

Weigand on the front, interchangeable blades makes it really versatile.

Randy

Who or how was the front base installed. The factory fro t blade on my .44 FT is a little difficult to see and the HiViz front on my SBH Hunters are hell on my holsters. I like that Weigand.

Lefty SRH
12-14-2013, 10:58 AM
You wont be disappointed C-Latch! I need one mpre Bowen rear and all my Ruger Sixguns will have Bowens.

C. Latch
12-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Well, I snuck off from the house this afternoon and shot 5 rounds through the Blackhawk with the new sight. I'd guesstimated it within 2" of being zeroed (zero being 1.5" high at 50 yards) so I fired 2 shots, moved everything a hair, then fired 3 more and shoved it in a holster and went hunting. Nothing showed within pistol range except a button buck, so I didn't get to try the sight on live targets today, but so far I really like the sight; the adjustments are going to be rock-solid and still quite precise. :)

45sixgun
12-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Look forward to hearing about the upcoming hunting success. Glad you're happy.