PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Rem. Model 6 .32rf to .32 S&W

birch
11-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I have the opportunity to get a nice condition model 6 in .32rf. If I get it, I am going to convert it to .32 Long. Is there anyone who could offer me some advise on how this job might go? I assume the RF headspaces on the case mouth. Will I have to recess the chamber to headspace on the rim?

If I am thinking this conversion is easier than it actually is, I would appreciate a kick to the head to set me straight.

Is there any chance I might get someone to rent me a chamber reamer for .32? I would be more than happy to send you the entire cost of the reamer + 20 dollars just to make sure I have it chucked correctly.

texassako
11-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I don't think a Model 6 is strong enough for centerfire. The centerfire version of a .32 Short and Long Rimfire is the .32 Short and Long Colt. You can find converted brass and the heeled bullets on GB, and then you would just need to alter the firing pin to centerfire. Or you could just do something like this: http://32rimfire.blogspot.com/ and not alter the gun.

birch
11-25-2013, 11:02 PM
What a cool idea. That whole idea just blew my doors off. Thanks alot and I really really appreciate the help and info.

Reg
11-25-2013, 11:23 PM
The Model 6 would not be my first or even second choice for a center fire conversion.
The locking system with that pivoted breechblock is very weak and the way the barrel nests down into the top of the receiver is just simply not a very strong setup.
Think I would go for a .22 Long Rifle conversion first. The barrel would be a snap to line and if one cannot figure out how to move the firing pin ( I would just make a whole new breech block ) then perhaps one should move onto something a little easier to work on.

Mk42gunner
11-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Personally, I think if I came across a somewhat decent Model 6 or improved Model 6, I would leave it alone as a wallhanger. I would much rather have a No 2 or even a No 4 as a shooting example.

Robert

NoZombies
11-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Similar to the idea posted earlier, I've been happy with my .32 RF conversion cartridges that use .22 blanks as the primers. Due to the cost of .22 blanks, I generally just pull the bullet and dump the powder from a .22 LR case and use the empty primed .22 shell instead.

I haven't been able to find mine since the move, so I recently re-ordered some. Since DGW only sells the .32 short shells, and wants a lot for them, I purchased mine from a gentleman in Belgium. He offers .32 RF long and short, as well as various other obsolete calibers. I just buy the 5 shot "test kit" because I have .32 colt dies and bullet molds I can use. At $26 including the international shipping, I think it's a pretty decent deal to get the old guns shooting again. Here's the link to his site: .32 RF Kit (http://hlebooks.com/32rfkit/prices.htm)

I went ahead and re-ordered so that I can see how well the solid frame Rem #4 in .32 I have sitting here will shoot before I take the time and/or spend the money to convert it to CF.

I tend to agree with the others though, the #6 is awfully light for anything much more than a BP load in the .32 RF. As a matter of fact, many of the .32 #6's that I've seen have been shot pretty loose with factory ammo. I would suggest sticking with the .32 RF conversion cartridges, or relining to .22 on that action.