PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Tool

bedbugbilly
11-25-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm giving some thought to the possibility of getting one of these. I'm hand priming now with a Lee. These look like they would be really slick but I haven't seen much on them nor do I know anyone who has one. Anyone out there have one? Your thoughts on them? I primarily load pistol - 38/357 and getting set up to do 9mm. Any problems with them or issues that can cause it to be less than a desirable experience?

I have also seen some of the older vintage ones - are the new ones better or if I could find a older vintage one will they work O.K. - any short comings to them?

Thanks.

jmort
11-25-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm sure they work fine, but I for sure, don't need a space eater on my bench that primes only. Most any/all presses can prime. I will always hand prime off the press as it is something I actually enjoying doing. If you do get one, it is a well reviewed tool, so I bet you will like it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool

cheese1566
11-25-2013, 08:58 PM
I have one. Seems to work OK, but I find the process a little awkward in having to move the handle twice ( to prime and then reload the primer in the cup from the tube) to prime one casing.
I went back to using my RCBS hand priming unit.

Mike Kerr
11-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Several years back I did a great deal of priming off of the press and I found the hand held primers like the RCBS -which I still have- and the older style Lee unit were both faster than the Bench priming unit from RCBS. However, the bench unit sure did look cool and it was (is) a good piece of equipment - just not what I needed.

engineer401
11-25-2013, 09:03 PM
The bench priming unit is convenient to use. I liked the one I had before I went progressive. It takes a little to get used to but it is very effective and you can get a good feel for it once you've used it. It is also easier on the thumb than the Lee hand primer which is also very reliable. I'd recommend it if you have the bench space.

novalty
11-25-2013, 09:07 PM
The RCBS Automatic Bench Primer is probably one of my favorite tools on my bench. I have arthritis, and it sure saves my wrists a lot of grief seating primers, and is very quick to operate.

Spruce
11-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I have an older one that I bought when I first started reloading. I hate priming from a single stage press, and removed priming arm as soon as I got the bench primer.

The longer I reload, the less I like anything mounted to my bench other than presses. So all equipment is mounted on blocks of wood and is clamped, screwed or bolted and removed when I am finished.

I am glad I bought mine when I did, and would not like to prime with out it.

They can be slicked up by polishing the lever ramp and other moving parts. In an article when I first started I saw a picture of one and the owner had shortened the handle for even better fill and thumb only operation.

rockshooter
11-25-2013, 11:55 PM
I have an older one and find it very useful on S&B pistol brass or when using Wolfe/Tula primers. It easily overcomes any seating resistance.
Loren

pauly
11-26-2013, 02:30 AM
G'day from Downunder . [smilie=s:

G'day , I have one and absolutely love it , I have used a Lee hand priming tool for at least 20 years & even still have a spare new one in the box as a backup but my severe arthritis has made it impossible for me to use them now so she who is to be obeyed bought me the RCBS bench priming tool ( Bless her :) ) and now I can prime 500 .41 mag cases at a sitting with no pain :mrgreen: so I highly recommend it to you .

Regards Paul . :)

bangerjim
11-26-2013, 10:46 AM
My hand primers keep my grip strengthened!!!!!!!

I can use them AWAY from my normal locations to prime a few hundred shells now & then anywhere I am around the place.

And bench space is at a premium, so the little boxes do not take up much space on the overhead shelf!

The choice is up to you................but, by all means, have fun!

banger

RickinTN
11-26-2013, 11:06 AM
I use one of the older style (original?) RCBS priming tools. I mounted it on one end of a 1" x 3" oak board about a foot long with a couple of blocks under it to raise it and give the arm swing room. It's portable and I don't have to clamp it to the bench. I store it on the shelf behind my bench and it is ready to go in a matter of seconds as soon as I place the proper shellholder in it. It has just enough leverage that I can seat the primers easily but not so much that I can't "feel" the primer seat fully. It is my favorite.
Rick

Char-Gar
11-26-2013, 11:10 AM
I have one of the older models mounted on the end of an 18 inch piece of 2X4. Works well for me.

Doc_Stihl
11-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Are you talking about an APS strip bench primer or the old tube style?
The APS strip primer is the best thing since sliced bread. No handling the primer, no pickup tubes. With the strip loader I can load 500 primers into the strips in 4 or 5 minutes. They're the most consistant seating tool that I've ever used. You can feel the resistance nicely, and depth is VERY repeatable.
They make the same primer in a press mounted version so that it doesn't take up any space while you aren't using it.

roots911
11-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Been using mine for 25 years on all the rifle cases that I load. Can't imagine reloading without it. Smooth operation and great primer feel.

bear67
11-26-2013, 03:11 PM
I have the older tube type RCBS and use it a lot for calibers I do not use the Dillon's for. I use a vibra prime to load tubes and the Dillon tubes work also, so I have a drawer full of tubes. My press bench is steel and I drilled and tapped the surface for the presses and devices I might want to remove and a few seconds with a socket and ratchet and fill the hole with a set screw that size and pitch. My old hands get tired with a Lee or RCBS hand primer after a while.

Ed_Shot
11-26-2013, 03:30 PM
I have an older model RCBS that I've had for 40 years. Mine is mounted to a piece of plywood that I clamp to the bench when needed.....my Lyman case trimmer sits on the other end of the same piece of plywood. Last year RCBS sent me a set of replacement piston rods for the priming tool for free. I had worn the piston rod for small primers so short I needed another.

375supermag
11-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Are you talking about an APS strip bench primer or the old tube style?
The APS strip primer is the best thing since sliced bread. No handling the primer, no pickup tubes. With the strip loader I can load 500 primers into the strips in 4 or 5 minutes. They're the most consistant seating tool that I've ever used. You can feel the resistance nicely, and depth is VERY repeatable.
They make the same primer in a press mounted version so that it doesn't take up any space while you aren't using it.

The RCBS APS bench-mounted unit is the only priming tool I use.
I have used it to prime tens of thousands of cases over the years.
I load in batches of 300-500 cases at a time and just use the strip loading tool to load as many primers as needed and then prime away. 3-500 cases goes pretty quick that way.
I enjoy using it so much more than the aggravating hand priming tools from Lee and RCBS.

My APS is mounted permanently to the bench on an RCBS tool plate...I remove the handle when not priming cases.
If you replace the priming strips regularly it is a trouble-free device.

medalguy
11-27-2013, 02:04 AM
I also recommend the RCBS tool. I have two-- one has been used so much RCBS replaced the lever and rods once, and I was not wanting to ask for another set after so much use so I just bought another one, and it's still working. I have about 20 tubes and load them all up and can prime 2,000 pieces of brass in an evening. Fast and easy on the hands and arm.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-28-2013, 12:10 AM
I also have the RCBS bench mount priming tool and it is the best priming system I have ever used.

As to additional holes or tools on the bench, that doesn't happen if your using the "Under Bench Receiver System".

You can check out the receiver system on the net. Just google the Under Bench Receiver System.
By the way, tried the Forester bench mount tool and it went back to Cabela's ASAP!!!!!!! Poorly thought out tool and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Bought it because it was cheaper, but with that it was still higher priced then the true value of the tool.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

A pause for the COZ
11-28-2013, 03:55 AM
I have the RCBS APS bench tool. I use it for 75 to 80% of my priming. Only time I do not is when I am dong a low volume.
With new strips I have not had any issues its super fast and accurate. Occasionally It will hang the primer rod on a worn strip. When using reloaded strips.
The 1st few times you will end up dropping the primer stem inside the primer. This requires some disasembly to remove. After a couple times cussing while taking it apart. You learn how to feel it when one is going to stick and you use a rod or something to push the seating rod back down with out dropping our of the holder cup. Then throw away that strip when complete.

Very cool tool, glad I got it.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8238.jpg

oh lookie I found a old video of it.

http://s33.photobucket.com/user/Kelly2215/media/APSprimersubparvid.mp4.html

liliysdad
11-28-2013, 10:15 PM
I was looking to get one, until I came into an RCBS Turret Press. I really, really like the on press priming system on this press, and I use it almost exclusively now.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Since I'm on the borderline between healthy hands and cranky old arthritic hands, I feel I can safely say this:

If you're older, have more money, likely a larger bench space and room to reload in and are soon to or are beginning to have some trouble with your hands, RCBS bench mounted primer seater, regardless of which model, will save your hands a good bit of pain.

If you're significantly younger and have years to go before you'll have problems with your hands, have less money, a smaller bench area and you competing with your kids for space in the house, the hand held primer systems are for you.

milprileb
11-30-2013, 06:01 PM
The older RCBS tool is mentioned most in the thread above and its a good tool but the newer version, the Automatic is fast, easy to use and far superior to any tool on the market.

Problem is: the OP wanted to know about the current tool and all the old tool owners confused the situation talking ancient history about of their older RCBS tool which is not made anymore.

Fact is: Automatic RCBS bench model priming tool is outstanding.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm??????

Looking at the catalog, they must be using an old photograph to illustrate the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool as the one pictured is no different then the one I have used for probably at least ten years.

Great tool.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Ted
12-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Having arthritis in both thumbs I've pretty much given up on my Lee Hand priming tool.

I bought the RCBS priming tool about 3 months ago. I love it. My bench is a home made setup with inserts for this tool and all my presses / luber-sizers to fit. I don't worry about it taking up space.

Both of my thumbs give it a thumbs up.

Ted

Mike Kerr
12-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Hmmmmm!

milprileb wrote in part :

"Problem is: the OP wanted to know about the current tool and all the old tool owners confused the situation talking ancient history about of their older RCBS tool which is not made anymore.
Fact is: Automatic RCBS bench model priming tool is outstanding."

I went back and read the original post again and found the OP wrote in part:
"I have also seen some of the older vintage ones - are the new ones better or if I could find a older vintage one will they work O.K. - any short comings to them? "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am glad the newer APS tool is a good one and most replies from this thread thought the older model was viable as well, depending on how much priming speed was needed. Actually aren't we really discussing two different systems with similar names?

cbrick
12-01-2013, 12:25 PM
RCBS does make a newer bench mounted priming tool for the CCI primer strips but the tube type that is in the Midway link is absolutely identical to the one I've been using for at least 25 years. No idea of how many thousands and thousands of rounds I've primed with it with no signs of wear anyplace. I do keep a film of grease on the contact points of the arm and on the pivot bolt. It's not that folks are confusing the new one with the an old style, there two different ones available.

I mounted mine to a piece of 5/8" thick steel the width of the tool and about 2 1/2 times as long as the tool. When priming I add the weight of a drill press vice holding two 5 pound lead ingots on the rear of the steel plate just for the weight. I uniform all primer pockets after each firing with the Sinclair tool and with the RCBS priming tool set up this way when seating the primer it takes the same amount of pressure to lift (pivot) the rear of the steel plate off the bench each time. All primers are seated to the same depth with exactly the same "crush". I started doing this when I was still competing in long range and still do all primers this way.

When not priming mine stores under the bench. I highly recommend this tool, once it's on the bench and primer tubes are filled I can prime a 100 round box of brass in a matter of minutes and all are perfectly uniform.

Rick

12-04-2013, 05:23 AM
My RCBS priming tool is the tube type. I've been using it since the 70's and other than wearing out the pistons it's been flawless.

cbrick
12-04-2013, 07:37 AM
My RCBS priming tool is the tube type. I've been using it since the 70's and other than wearing out the pistons it's been flawless.

Huh? Pistons?

Rick

12-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Huh? Pistons?

Rick

Sorry Rick, I don't know what else to call the little rods that push the primer up into the brass.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-04-2013, 06:25 PM
WOW 2400,

That would be a lot of priming to wear those out!

CDOC

12-06-2013, 03:56 PM
WOW 2400,

That would be a lot of priming to wear those out!

CDOC

It was, about 40 years worth and still working.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks 2400,

40 years could see a lot of primers!

CDOC

Spruce
12-06-2013, 04:31 PM
The little spring broke on mine, and of course RCBS replaced it with no charge. It is one of the VINTAGE ones the other poster said was no longer made that really still is.

David2011
12-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Liliysdad,

The RCBS Bench Priming Tool is a real asset on my bench. I've had one for over 30 years and use it for virtually all of my priming that's not done on a progressive press. It's mounted on a 6"x6"x1/2" piece of aircraft ply and can be mounted to threaded brass inserts that are set in my bench in a repeating bolt pattern to set up any 3 tools I choose at a time. I have about 8 tools including a case trimmer, Dillon pocket swager, powder measures, presses; essentially all of my single stage reloading tools on aircraft ply or steel plates with a matching hole pattern so any tool can be mounted at any of the 3 positions.

David

David2011
12-06-2013, 06:38 PM
I mounted mine to a piece of 5/8" thick steel the width of the tool and about 2 1/2 times as long as the tool. When priming I add the weight of a drill press vice holding two 5 pound lead ingots on the rear of the steel plate just for the weight. I uniform all primer pockets after each firing with the Sinclair tool and with the RCBS priming tool set up this way when seating the primer it takes the same amount of pressure to lift (pivot) the rear of the steel plate off the bench each time. All primers are seated to the same depth with exactly the same "crush". I started doing this when I was still competing in long range and still do all primers this way.

Rick

Rick, that's a brilliant solution to consistency!

David

larry4831
09-16-2016, 02:10 PM
I have one of these are RCBS bench mounted priming tools. However, I use the Lee and priming tool and it works just fine, and I believe it's a lot faster too.

LeadHead72
09-18-2016, 11:01 PM
I use the tube-fed RCBS bench-mounted priming tool. It's a nice piece of equipment, and since I use an accessory base plate it only takes 30 seconds to swap it out of my way for a press or other tool.

seagiant
09-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi,
I've used one of these for a LONG time!

The only thing to come anywhere as good is my old Lachmiller, but it is hand fed!!!

Hardcast416taylor
09-21-2016, 12:19 PM
I got my old style tool back in 1980 as I recall. One of the first things I did to it before I seated a single primer was to attach it to a piece of 2x10" plank about 10" long. When I need to use it I simply `C` clamp it to my bench (it is 8` long) and proceed. I prefer using the original shorter tubes as the newer longer ones are a bit ungainly till about 1/2 empty. For seating primers in Mil. Surp. cases (both rifle and pistol) this unit is the best for me.Robert

Sur-shot
09-21-2016, 01:52 PM
I have moved mine 3 times, last spot it was in was for 22 years. Seems like I actually got it in the early 70s.
Ed

OS OK
09-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Clamp it where you want. I added a little Radiator hose to the handle for comfort in my palm. Then I placed a little magnet on the handle to stick that pesky little pin on so I wouldn't loose it. I apologize for the upside down picture...this uploading thing does it all the time, don't get it!

seagiant
09-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Hi,
If the pic is upright when you load it on the site, I don't know?

If it is off on your desktop then you have to right it before download.

Sometimes a photo program is best to try.

When I used Windows I used "Irfanview"!

OS OK
09-21-2016, 04:20 PM
I always rotate and crop them and adjust light but they still do a backflip in cyberspace for some reason. I even close the photo's app before accessing it with the picture editor, still doesn't seem to make a difference. When they decide to flip they flip! Once I sent it upside down to see if it would right itself but it stayed upside down like the one before that started out correct...I dunnoh, I write it off to the fact that I'm a dinosaur on this Mac.

Hardcast416taylor
09-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Clamp it where you want. I added a little Radiator hose to the handle for comfort in my palm. Then I placed a little magnet on the handle to stick that pesky little pin on so I wouldn't loose it. I apologize for the upside down picture...this uploading thing does it all the time, don't get it!

To increase the handle size on my unit, I found a rubber handle bar grip off a kids bike and worked it on the unit.Robert

Walter Laich
09-21-2016, 05:31 PM
I have one of the older models mounted on the end of an 18 inch piece of 2X4. Works well for me.
same here I can clamp it to the tailgate of my truck
I added an extension to the handle so I would have better mechanical advantage--arthritis and all

I mainly use it to seat high primers that I don't get fully seated in my progressive

seagiant
09-21-2016, 06:49 PM
I always rotate and crop them and adjust light but they still do a backflip in cyberspace for some reason. I even close the photo's app before accessing it with the picture editor, still doesn't seem to make a difference. When they decide to flip they flip! Once I sent it upside down to see if it would right itself but it stayed upside down like the one before that started out correct...I dunnoh, I write it off to the fact that I'm a dinosaur on this Mac.

Hi,
Ah....Maybe it's a Mac thing?

I now use Ubuntu Linux, got tired of Bill Gates![smilie=1:

flashhole
09-21-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm old school. You can see my RCBS Bench Mounted Priming Tools in the foreground on my bench. They look like small presses between the Ultramag and the Lee Classic Cast. I have one dedicated to small primers and one dedicated to large primers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/MainReloadingBench.jpg.html)

seagiant
09-21-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm old school. You can see my RCBS Bench Mounted Priming Tools in the foreground on my bench. They look like small presses between the Ultramag and the Lee Classic Cast. I have one dedicated to small primers and one dedicated to large primers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/MainReloadingBench.jpg.html)

Hi,
I'll stick my neck out and say those are "copies" of the Lachmiller!

As I "believe" RCBS bought out Lachmiller????

Mike Kerr
09-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Gosh Flashhole, that setup that you have is so.. so... perfect. Do you ever have a misplaced item or even any clutter? I don't know how you do it but you must be doing something correctly because it looks the same every time.

regards,

flashhole
09-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Old picture. But it is still organized and neat.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Looking at all the different mounting methods, I still have never seen anything better then my under bench receiver system for too mounting.

No holes in the bench, no plates to clamp to the bench, no clamps needed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Echo
09-22-2016, 04:51 PM
I have an RCBS Automatic re-primer that I've had for maybe 40 years. Works like a charm, but I'm mostly using Lee old style now, for anything not done on the Dillon. A couple hundred in front of TV watching Perry Mason (did I just date myself?) are no problem.