PDA

View Full Version : C & H Powder measurer

Wayne S
11-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Does anyone have a working / hands on knowledge of this powder measure ?? Like how easy the markings are to read ? I'm guessing that once the desired amount of powder is marked, it should be repeatable from day to day ??
http://www.ch4d.com/equipment/powder-tools/502

MOcaster
11-25-2013, 09:36 PM
I just got one cheap on eBay a couple of months ago. I actually haven't used it yet but it is built well. It didn't come with the micrometer knob so I can't speak to that, either. If I still had it I would go look, but I loaned it out to a new reloader so he doesn't have to measure each and every charge. From my experience with powder measures, I think it will work as well as a Redding. Keep in mind that the body is cast aluminum. I don't know how much that matters to you, but just though I'd let you know.

Rory McCanuck
11-27-2013, 05:39 AM
Mine is a bit older and red, but I think it is essentially the same.
I've only used it with fine ball powders, but it is very accurate and repeatable.
However, the markings on the micrometer must have been designed for a different thread, because they don't line up.
One turn of the drum is marked 5, but 10 turns out doesn't line up with 50.
More like 40 and a gap that looks like it should about 42.
So all my load notes have 3 markings, grains, what the measure is actually set at by counting turns out from zero, and then what that setting reads on the scale. A bit of a pain, but a quick check with the scale ensures I'm in the right neighbourhood.
It regularly throws 0.1 light and I trickle up, but I would be confident that it would throw within 0.3 gr without really trying. Certainly accurate enough for blasting ammo.
Between the measure and an old C-H Champion press, I'd have no qualms recommending them to anyone.

6bg6ga
11-27-2013, 08:08 AM
The C&H was a little nicer in my opinion than a RCBS. It has the micrometer type adjustment instead of just screwing or unscrewing a threaded rod for the lack of a better word. The micrometer adjustment cannot be relied upon to say dial in 4 .0 grains by setting it to that. The ones I've played with a number of years ago had some markings on it that will get you in the ballpark once you get it to drop the load you want. This is not going to track right when using different powders because of the difference in powder sizes. Simply get it to drop for example 4.0 grains if your loading to that and write the setting down that you view on the micrometer. There is nothing out there that your going to be able to set at the charge you want and have it drop that. Its a simple process of making a guess drop the load and weigh several drops to set what you get and make the changes you need to get the load. Once you have that load write the setting down for the next go around. Remember to ALWAYS check a few drop with the scale in order to see how accurate the drop setting is.

Wayne Smith
11-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Because of differing powder densities there is no way you can get a one to one equivalence between a weight measure and a volume measure across powders. It ain't gonna happen. The best you can do is record settings for each powder.

Mike Kerr
11-27-2013, 04:59 PM
I think Wayne is correct
Because of differing powder densities there is no way you can get a one to one equivalence between a weight measure and a volume measure across powders. It ain't gonna happen. The best you can do is record settings for each powder.