PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 70 what to do now?

Big Dipper
11-25-2013, 04:41 PM
I inherited a pre war model 70 action with an after market 257 AI barrel on it. I have a pre 64 featherweight barrel in 243 win. I would like to put on the receiver. I have a guy locally with a maple stock and I have the rest of the parts. I took the barreled action to an long time gunsmith in Carson City. He told me today that he cannot get the 257 AI barrel off of the receiver. What is my next option? I already have a very nice 257 Roberts on a Mauser action and don't feel I need a 257 AI. Any help out there. Thanks, Scott

ipopum
11-25-2013, 04:56 PM
If you don't want to use the 257AI barrel I believe it can be taken off by making a cut at the junction of the receiver and the barrel. It goes without saying it must be done without doing damage to the action. If rust is the issue a soaking in a solvent or rust cutter. Heat on the action and not the barrel also has been used on occasion. If he is an experienced smith he should know all of these kinks. You may want to have someone else look at it.

turtlezx
11-25-2013, 05:05 PM
I would leave it alone as is
find another reciever for the 243

Hardcast416taylor
11-25-2013, 05:10 PM
I`d get a 2nd opinion about taking the barrel off. Unless it was welded on there is some way to remove it.Robert

Larry Gibson
11-25-2013, 06:48 PM
I`d get a 2nd opinion about taking the barrel off. Unless it was welded on there is some way to remove it.Robert

+1.

Larry Gibson

flounderman
11-25-2013, 07:24 PM
I would find another smith and I wouldn't change a 257 for a 243, as long as the 257 shot ok. You can make a relief cut ahead of the receiver and you can use the barrel again by using a spacer. The Remington barrels basicly use a spacer, it just has the recoil lug on it

M-Tecs
11-25-2013, 08:34 PM
With the proper barrel and action wrench it will come off without a relief cut in the old barrel. Some of the old military rifles with indexed barrels need 200 or 300 foot pounds to break loose. No way an after-market barrel should be that tight. I removed one that the so called smith cut too loose and his “fix” was large quantities of Loctite 680. That was a real SOB to get off.

Big Dipper
11-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Thank you for the replies. I will pick up my barreled action and find out exactly what was tried. I got a lead from a member of a gun club, the next town over, at dinner tonight. I will give him a call Wednesday. I also may call over to Lassen College gunsmith school, they are about 100 miles away and see if they can make some suggestions.

GabbyM
11-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Yep I've heard all my life about barrels that don't come off. rusted hard 100 year old guns aside. any post war rifles. Soak in KROIL for a week. chuck barrel in your wood vise blocks with resin. Bolt on proper action wrench that won't mess up things. Not some piece of flat iron stuck through the lug raceways. Then hit action wrench long handle with four pound hammer. I've never in my life had to hit one more than once. Never bent a receiver either because slow turn is what bends them easier. Hand pressure on the handle will not work as a 22 ounce hammer is ridiculous. Wheeler wrench has a handle about forearm length inches or so IIRC. Just take a four pounder and back it off then give it a swing. Not like you're hitting a home run but hit it good. NO guts no glory and if you cant' afford to by the receiver if you mess it up you need to work for a cracker.

All that said. 257 BOB AI is about the best all around blaster I can think of. If the action is proper for a a 257 Roberts then it's probably a long action. Thus the parent of the 257 a 7 x 57mm Mauser would be a better option than a 243 winny. I shoot a coupe 243 AI in rotation. I have two because one is always in a rebarrel state of works or in the weeds waiting on the sister to give it up. Since high velocity 6mm's are barrel burning bitches and that's just a fact of life. If you don't own a 6mm and since you say you have a 257 BOB that's all the more reason to just stay with the 257 AI. Since it's a far better medium game hunting round than any 6mm ever can be. your gunsmith may be just trying to do you a favor and talk you out of the job.

BTW:
RCBS boolit mold at about 1850 fps over a shotgun powder and have fun.

andremajic
11-26-2013, 08:21 AM
GabbyM - Usually soaking in kroil for about 5 minutes while tapping lightly to help it penetrate is all I've needed. It's worked on 100+ year old rifles no problem, as well as a rusted old studebaker truck! Good stuff!

Big Dipper
11-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Well if nothing else I'm becoming a Kroil believer. I just ordered a gallon, plus a Kroiloiler plus some airokroil. Super nice folks over there at Kano.

fouronesix
11-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Agree with the others about getting a second opinion! Find a gunsmith who has the right tools and knowledge. Little chance a pre-War M70 receiver is going to be rusted to an aftermarket barrel. At most it may have some rust and/or have been epoxied on and even then no problem breaking it loose with a little 300-350' heat which won't hurt the barrel or receiver. When you talk to the next prospective gunsmith make sure he has a good barrel vise and a good Winchester 70 dedicated action wrench. Some kroil or a little heat or both and a long cheater or good whack with a mallet on the wrench bar should do it.

flounderman
11-26-2013, 05:58 PM
If you do take the 257 ai barrel off, I would be interested in it if the price was right. Is that a push feed action or a mauser type extractor? Daryl

Big Dipper
11-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Flounderman, The action is a 1937 or a 1939 with the claw extractor and If I get it off without damage I would be willing to sell it. I also have a 375 H&H Winchester barrel however I believe it is a push feed.