PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red, an excellent cleaner for surplus rifle barrels

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-25-2013, 04:09 PM
I've been using this stuff for years and have been very happy with it. Decided I'd post the original link on it and then share some notes of my own:

The original link: http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

From the link:

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner For each part, use either 1 quart or 1 gallon to make either a gallon or four gallons, depending on your needs. You can split the cost and the clean you make with a buddy to reduce costs if you need less than a gallon. Buy your chemicals from Lowe's rather than Home Depot. The Lowe's containers are metal, the brand is Crown and you end up with a better product that's more easily stored. Use a 5 gallon bucket to mix, then return to the original containers the chemicals came in. Handy to have a cheap throw away plastic funnel to do this with. Mix outside and use a fan. Also, military surplus cans of the Vietnam Era bore cleaner make good small containers for in the house use. Open a window so the wife doesn't complain. It's fragrant stuff and not in a way the wife will like.

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later. Any brand will do, get the cheapest the auto parts store has.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1Get the low odor version, much more pleasant.

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
#64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
equivalent, (aka "Varsol")Get the low odor version, much more pleasant.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to
substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)Lanolin has gotten expensive and I would keep the lanolin in it's own jar to use on my hands after I've washed them. Ed's Red is good at removing oils/grease, including the one's in your hands.

How to get the most out of Ed's Red:

1. When you apply, be generous on metal parts, but keep off of wood finishes. Ed's Red can and will strip varnish and shellac, making runs in the stocks of rifles that have those finishes.

2. Use an extremely saturated patch in black/dark milsurp bores. Or plug receiver end, place rifle vertical and fill to the muzzle with Ed's Red. Let soak a good while.

3. Alternating between cleaning with Ed's Red and a Home Made Electronic Bore Cleaner (http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/) is the most effective and least laborious method I've used to get all the copper and powder fouling out of old milsurp rifles. In all cases, I've been able to get down to the bare metal.

I hope this helps someone.

Outpost75
11-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Also cures mange on dogs.

Better than Liquid Wrench for loosening rusted bolts.

Garyshome
11-25-2013, 04:39 PM
I use it all the time. Cheaper then hopps stuff.

shredder
11-25-2013, 07:21 PM
My best freind in the firearms cleaning world!!

Uncle Grinch
11-25-2013, 07:51 PM
I mixed mine up (1 gallon) several years ago and keep it in an A&W root beer jug [PROPERLY LABELED AND LOCKED IN MY SHOP PAINT CABINET].

It's goooood stuff.... as Andy of Mayberry would say!

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-25-2013, 08:13 PM
I prefer to make it using Turpentine. Much better smell and Lanolin is a must also.

11-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Been using it for years, minus the lanolin and acetone. Besides evaporating rather quickly, acetone will strip some finishes.

Green Lizzard
11-26-2013, 12:04 AM
my version uses camp fuel vrs kerosene used it for years

jonk
11-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I mixed up a gallon 4 years ago and am just now thinking I need to make more. I can't say it cleans BETTER than hoppes, but it surely is cheaper and cleans at least as well.

Char-Gar
11-26-2013, 11:16 AM
I have not found anything better and most are not as good. It is far and away the cheapest.

w5pv
11-26-2013, 04:10 PM
It works for me

blixen
11-27-2013, 11:40 AM
I have not found anything better and most are not as good. It is far and away the cheapest.

+1. Only bore cleaner I use. Doesn't smell as sweet as the old Hoppes, though. :-(

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2013, 03:55 AM
True, Hoppes does have a nice smell. But with that nice smell comes a nice price.

MtGun44
12-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Won't get copper out like Hoppes does. But CR10 and other stronger cleaners
take out copper faster than Hoppes. Good for general cleaning.

Bill

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-02-2013, 03:03 AM
Thing is, while Hoppes is an "ok" copper cleaner when used on newer firearms, it's copper cleaning ability is not up to the task of handling the heavy fouling of many milsurps. Hence the suggestion number three in my list of how best to use Ed's Red. The industrial strength ammonia absolutely will get the copper out, so if you have layers of copper and layers of powder fouling, you've got a powerful combination to handle it.

Driver man
12-02-2013, 03:15 AM
I use it with everything, black powder as well. I use it as a general cleaner lube with other things as well. Is great for penetrating rusty tools etc

res45
12-02-2013, 10:34 AM
This variation on the Ed's Red formula gives it a copper removing ability similar to the commercial bore cleaner Marksman's Choice MC-7.

11 oz basic Ed's Red
2 oz 10% ammonia
2 oz soluble cutting oil : NAPA Soluble Cutting and Grinding Oil," part number SL SL2512
1 oz Murphy's Oil soap

Mix the oil soap and ammonia in a separate container. In a suitable 1 pint container containing 11 ounces of Ed's Red, add the cutting oil and mix together. Then add the oil soap/ammonia mixture to Ed's Red/ cutting oil and shake the container to mix the ingredients. You will end up with a pink opaque liquid that for the most part remains in solution, but some components may settle out over an extended period. It is always best to shake well before using. The resulting solution will remove mild copper deposits in bores if allowed to work about 15-20 minutes.

Home made Copper Fouling remover.

If your local ACE hardware store doesn't stock the "10% Janitor's Strength Ammonia," they can order it for you from their master order book. The stock number for the 1 quart size is ACE10183.

If you are worried about its high strength, you can bring it down to the 6 - 8 percent ammonia content of most commercial copper removers by cutting the janitor's strength ammonia with some K1 kerosene or water--try 3.5 to 4 parts 10% ammonia to 1 part water or K1 kerosene. This seems to have little, if any effect, on its copper removal abilities.

Info found at http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-02-2013, 07:28 PM
res45,

That's real good information. Thank you for posting that. I'll add that to my arsenal of cleaning materials.

Dave