PDA

View Full Version : How do yous guys like the Model 19?

Frosty Boolit
11-25-2013, 07:05 AM
I just got a new Model 19 to go with my Model 15.

After some reading-"A peace officers' dream", I couldn't agree more. This gun is fantastic in every way.

158 SWC's at 950-1000 fps should be great for PPC.

h8dirt
11-25-2013, 07:55 AM
I've had one with the 6" barrel for about 30 years. It has remained stock. No need to fiddle with this one. I love it.

buckwheatpaul
11-25-2013, 07:55 AM
I carried a model 66 (Stainless version of model 19) for over 30 years....my wife has one and carried one as well....really a great wheelgun.....not good if you shoot a lotttttt of magnum rounds....recoil is heavier....I like the model 27 the best....heavier than the 19 or 66..... but is easier to shoot if you use a lot of magnum loads.....

wcp4570
11-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Bought a new 4 inch in 1973, it's just a great gun. Also have a 4 inch 66, I like shooting 38s in both. I am a sucker for anything Smith & Wesson. I would like to find a nice M15 some day.

wcp

bobthenailer
11-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I like them ! i currently share two a 2 1/2" and a 4" with my wife but have owned several others 19/66s
My favorite frame size for the 357 mag is the L frame (686) even though i own two N frame (627)

Frosty Boolit
11-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I was actually looking for a 686 or 586 in 4" that was with the hammer nose variety and could not find squat. Of course they can be had on gunbroker for $800 used before fees and such.

Frosty Boolit
11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
@ wcp, They way I understand it, the M15 was carried by air force personnel and may still be. Maybe you can use your status as an air force vet to get your hands on one. I really don't see many of these around anymore but I got mine about 5 years ago.

wcp4570
11-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Yes the AF did carry the m15 for a long time. They changed over to the Berreta 92 and are still using them as far as I know. I retired in 89 and have not kept up with what the AF is doing these days.

wcp

ReloaderFred
11-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I carried a 6" Model 19 for about 8 years, until we finally got a Sheriff who was a "gun guy" and allowed us to branch out, so I changed over to my 6" Model 57. I've got the Model 19's in 2 1/2", 4" and 6" barrels. They're a great gun and you won't be disappointed in your purchase.

Hope this helps.

Fred

DaveCampbell
11-25-2013, 12:38 PM
I have the 4-inch M19 that I got for my father almost 40 years ago. Triple Ts. Looks almost unfired--I doubt that he put more than 200 rounds through it. I've probably put no more than 50 rounds through it since I inherited it 11 years ago. Lovely revolver. It would probably still be in production if some shooters were not so bent on trying to make the .357 Mag into a .44 Mag.

Since I am more often than not in the company of an N-frame .44 Special, I just don't carry or shoot the 19 as much as I probably should. Congrats on your find Frosty Boolit! You get years of pleasure with it!

357Mag
11-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Frosty -

Howdy !
M-19s are great guns !!!
They don't fit my large hands well, but... fortunately.... "N"-frames DO.

Bill Jordan had huge hands, and yet shot the M-19 stupendously well.
Just didn't work out that way, for me.

With regards,
357Mag

Art in Colorado
11-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Several years ago I was in my local gun store and spoted a 3 inch 66 in great condition. I was looking it over when another guy was looking over my shoulder and I explained that this barrel length was a bit rare. I owned a 3 inch 686-4 at that time and talked my self out of it. When I placed it down this guy picked it up and did not let go. I am still kicking my self all these years later. One of many I let get away. Also, Back then Sheriff Jim Wilson used to rave about what a great carry gun it was.

Rodfac
11-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Frosty, yep, the M15 was Air Force issue when I went to Vietnam in late '69. Mine was virtually new when I got it; had a leather worker outside the main gate at Bien Hoa make up a holster rig for it. I carried it for a while when flying, (O-1E Bird dogs) but switched when one of the Special Forces guys I was bunking with, offered me a 1911...for the most part that stayed with me for my entire tour, with short periods of time when I had a Browning HP. Wish I had them all now...a lot of memories there, some of them almost good!

The M15 was a nice piece, but shooting them with the stock Magna grips provided was an exercise in frustration...the gun just moved around too much and a consistent grip was all but impossible. They desperately needed some sort of grip adapter ala Pachmeyer to get some support for the 2nd finger...

BTW, I share your enthusiasm for the M19. Mine is over 40 yrs old now, wears a 6" bbl. and a Baughmann ramp sight that S&W replaced for me right after we moved to CT. Makes it a far better holster gun....but all in all, the 4" was the most useful length offered by the factory....I always lusted after a 5 incher; but never saw or heard of one...they made some up in the M27 but not for the 19 as far as I know.

As this is a Cast Boolit forum, I'd offer that Lyman's 358156 GC, cast from WW or softened a bit with lead is one heck of a good bullet for it. I size mine .359", lube them with 50-50 and they make those nice tight clusters at 25yds ... Herco, Win 231, and Unique all work well for me, with velocities up to 1100 fps...no leading and a joy to shoot.

Best Regards, Rod

Frosty Boolit
11-27-2013, 06:01 AM
Just for giggles, the guy at the gun shop told me the dash 3 had nothing to do with engineering changes but only options from the factory, such as barrel length and adjustable sights. The words never argue with an idiot came to mind!

BruceB
11-27-2013, 06:33 AM
My 4" 19-3 (70s production) is virtually new.

Since the issue grips are like trying to hide a saxophone under a t-shirt, I replaced them with an old pair of "magna"-style grips along with a Tyler T-grip adapter. The bottom edges of the magnas have been rounded-off to reduce printing tendencies, and the resulting package is far more concealable than it was with the factory grips.

An Uncle Mike's "pancake"-type holster keeps the gun secure and well-hidden. Either as a hide-out or open-carry revolver, the 19 excels.... and it's a great plinker, as well. It's probably one of the very best multi-purpose firearms ever created.

bob208
11-27-2013, 10:42 AM
bill Jordon liked the model 19.

9.3X62AL
11-27-2013, 11:22 AM
With most current-spec factory 357 Magnum ammunition, the Model 19/66 revolvers will run practically forever. The K-frame (and J-frame) S&Ws in this caliber were one large reason for SAAMI lowering the 357 Magnum's Maximum Average Product pressure to 36K CUP from 42K CUP some 20-odd years ago. An exception to this "rule" is the 125 grain JHP loads that run 1400+ FPS from 4" barrels, like the much-vaunted FBI-backed Federal #357B service load. Those will flame-cut topstraps, though their pressures are within spec--avoid them in the lighter 357s. Federal #357B is best classed as "Purina L-Frame Chow".

A #358156 or other 158-160 grain casting at 1100 FPS is a match made in heaven with the Model 19/66. Current-spec 357 Mag loads impart about 1225-1250 FPS in 4" barrels to 158 grain JHP factory loads, and though these won't hurt the K-frames they do push back a bit in these lighter platforms. Moderating their velocity in the K-frame 357s does the same favor for the shooter that slowing down the 240 grainers in the Model 29 does for the 44 Magnum fan--the guns get a lot more tractable, and easier on the user.

Neither the old-school Magna grip nor the S&W target stocks liked me very much. Pachmayr and Hogue neoprene stocks are a feature on most of my revolvers, regardless of the recoil produced. Sometimes I swap off a S&W revolver, and when i do the original stocks go with it. The aftermarket stocks stay on the shelf, safe in the knowledge that another host is bound to land here and require their services.

snoopy
11-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Got the wife a m19 a few years back, 6in, she loves it! Shoulda kept it for myself, about 2wks later I got a 6in Rossi in stainless. Comparing the triggers on each, and only by "feel" the smith is slightly better IMHO. A SHORT STORY- As married folks do sometimes, and I don't really remember now what it was about, we were squabbling. I had really got her blood boiling!, which is very rare thank goodness. I really knew I had pushed the wrong button, and quite frankly was more than a little concerned, I snuck into the bedroom and removed it from the nightstand, unloaded it and put it back!LOL

Bret4207
11-29-2013, 09:59 AM
As I said in another recent post, my 19 4" is about the last revolver I'd ever sell.

chill45100
11-29-2013, 10:22 AM
M-19 was my first duty gun, we bought our own. That revolver is still with me 40 plus years later and I plan on passing it on to me grandson someday. The factory grips were replaced with some Pachmyer rubber grips that were ground to fit my hand size and shape. As a young officer a full on set of custom carved grips were too expensive.

Poohgyrr
11-30-2013, 05:33 PM
The M19 is a sweet wheelgun. I jumped at the chance to buy a used stock 4" dash 3 some years back. It is one of my more accurate handguns. A snubby M66-2 came home to me a few years later.

Here is a pic of them:

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy329/Poohgyrr/Guns/d23cae02.jpg (http://s804.photobucket.com/user/Poohgyrr/media/Guns/d23cae02.jpg.html)

Combat Diver
11-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Over time had several 4" M19/M66s and find it one of the best balance/power combinations out there. Also love the 3" HB, RB K frame :D

CD

Char-Gar
12-01-2013, 12:59 PM
I like the Model 19 (1967) and the Model 15 (1957). I could not be without either.

sniper
12-21-2013, 01:27 PM
I still wish I had mine!

rintinglen
12-22-2013, 10:56 AM
I like my Model 66 as well as any gun I own. If I had to go out tomorrow at high noon to face "the bad guy," it is the gun I'd choose. I have put thousands of rounds through it, it hits exactly where it's aimed with the Federal 125 grain JHP 38 +p that was the issue load at the last agency I worked under. I have utter confidence in it.
The K-frame 357's are not faultless. They'll split the forcing cone if over-fed a diet of hot, old time loads, but keep to the "+P+" range and they'll shoot til you run out of ammo. Many of the gun writers back in the day preferred them, especially folks who carried a gun for living, as opposed to those who made a living off guns.

Petrol & Powder
12-22-2013, 11:20 PM
What can I add? The S&W K-frames are classic revolvers. I often lean towards the fixed sighted models like the Model 10/64 or 13/65. My model 3" RB 65 is one of those "never sell" guns.

tygar
12-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I just got a new Model 19 to go with my Model 15.

After some reading-"A peace officers' dream", I couldn't agree more. This gun is fantastic in every way.

158 SWC's at 950-1000 fps should be great for PPC.

It was the perfect police gun back in the day. When I was a cop I carried a M15 until I could carry a M19. It's light enough to carry all day & heavy enough for full pop .357s, accurate & just a great feeling gun. It was the "perfect" cop gun.

Larry Gibson
12-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Here's my M15 and M19. Had numerous of each over the years. The 5" M15 was my duty revolver back in the day. The M19 was a over run for the US Marshal's service so I got it for a very good price......then I let the wife shoot it....somehow she thinks it's hers now:roll:

Larry Gibson

waco
12-25-2013, 12:03 AM
i like the model 19 (1967) and the model 15 (1957). I could not be without either.

sweet!!!!

Tn Jim
12-27-2013, 02:26 PM
My first ever handgun was a 6" nickel model 19 that I bought used in 1984. Sold it in '86 and have been kicking my own butt ever since.

Char-Gar
12-27-2013, 02:50 PM
The 1st. "Combat Magnum" I ever fired was in the late 50's and it belonged to Bill Jordon. I bought my first one in 65 and my last one about six months ago. It is a model 19-2 made in 1967.

9.3X62AL
12-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Would I snag another Model 19/66? In a heartbeat, if price and condition meet in the middle properly. A 3" (or 4", for that matter) Model 13 or 65 would get leaped upon even more quickly. None of these bubble to the surface around here very often, and when they do they get scooped up without a lot of dickering if price is anywhere near "reasonable".

Char-Gar
12-27-2013, 03:40 PM
The days of abundant supply of good K and N frame Smith and Wessons down here seem to be over. They show up every now and again, but not very often. I think folks that have them are holding on to them. I know I am.

mikeym1a
12-27-2013, 04:10 PM
@ wcp, They way I understand it, the M15 was carried by air force personnel and may still be. Maybe you can use your status as an air force vet to get your hands on one. I really don't see many of these around anymore but I got mine about 5 years ago.

How did you get yours? I'm an Air Force vet. I noticed the the combat troops in Nam carried .45s, usually, while the SP's carried the revolters. As a SP Augmentee, I got to carry my M-16, but no side-arm. sigh. So, how would I go about getting one? Thanks! :-D

Rick N Bama
12-28-2013, 08:40 AM
How did you get yours? I'm an Air Force vet. I noticed the the combat troops in Nam carried .45s, usually, while the SP's carried the revolters. As a SP Augmentee, I got to carry my M-16, but no side-arm. sigh. So, how would I go about getting one? Thanks! :-D

As an AF Vet myself I'm also interested in knowing how to obtain one.

Tn Jim
12-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Char-Gar, is that a set of Herrett stocks? Sure is good looking.

Frosty Boolit
12-29-2013, 09:14 AM

I just figured that anyone who was in the air force may have had an opportunity to get one when the AF "upgraded". Kind of like when police offer their used guns to the officers for reduced prices when they replace them. They have to go somewhere, maybe the way M1 rifles are sold to the public through the CMP. As for me, I got lucky at a gun show years ago.

Char-Gar
12-29-2013, 12:49 PM
USAF and police surplus Model 15's were quite common on the used market 15 to 20 years ago. I had several and there were all good guns. I did not manage to hang on to them and always wanted another. In 1998 I ran across this one in a gun store. It is a 1957 vintage, but it was NIB. I had to pay $325.00 for it which was about $100.00 more than a military or police surplus, but I thought it was worth the difference. Today it is worth considerable more.

Used S&W K and N frame sixguns are getting more scarce every day. They are available but the prices will only continue to go up. Places like Gun Broker and Guns International will have them, but don't swallow your tongue at the price. Just cowboy up and plunk down your money and have somebody hit your fingers with a hammer when you think about trading it off. You will want it again and have to pay more for it by then, maybe much more.

The Model 15 was first known as the Combat Masterpiece. Once neat feature is the tapered barrel. Once the handgun has been lifted a fraction of an inch from the leather, it is free to come out without any drag. This was a design feature. This handgun is a first rate design and is without a doubt the finest service 38 Special ever to leave the Smith and Wesson plant.

Some years back when Finn Aagard was still alive and writing for the American Rifleman, he wrote a neat article on a used USAF Model 15 he bought and used extensively. It is a good read, if you can run it down.

Char-Gar
12-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Char-Gar, is that a set of Herrett stocks? Sure is good looking.

The stocks on the Model 19 are Bear Hug grips made by Deacon Deason. He is now dead, but Ted Adamovich of Blu-Magnum still makes these Skeeter Skelton grips, but they are pricy.

The stocks on the Model 15 are by Kurac. You have to go to the Smith and Wesson forum to run him down. They are English walnut, made on the old Smith and Wesson "coke bottle" pattern.