PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99 in 308 will not extract

twotrees
11-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I bought a new extractor for this gun and am still having problems. Even mild loads will not come out with the extractor. I don't like carring a ramrod to fire a second shot.

The new extractor fit OK but to me it seems loose. The action cams it open when it closes, but when I pull down the lever it seems to hop by the case. Would it help to put a ball bearing behind the rear of the extractor tang. It seems that if it had more Spring in it , it might snap down on the case and at least try to pull it out of the chamber.

I'm also polishing the chamber to see if that helps.

Any Ideas folks???

BTW:: I traded (+ cash) the best shooting Marlin 44 mag I have ever seen for this ***. I need a severe BVTT kicking for that one.

Thanks In Advance

TwoTrees

Bret4207
11-18-2007, 10:33 AM
I'd make sure all the recesses are nice and clean, that the spring for the extractor is not binding, maybe the ball bearing would work but stretching the spring a bit certainly will. You are sure this is a 308 extractor and not for a rimmed cartridge, right? I can't picture the extractor setup in my head, but make sure theres nothing bent around the pin area that holds the extractor. I have ZERO problems with my 308 99C and it's a shooter. Figure it out and if you don't love that rifle you either got a lemon or you're just not normal!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

twotrees
11-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Bret,

After watching 100's of these guns take to the woods on opening Morning of Deer Season in SW Pa I had to have one. I shoots both condom and cast well, but you need a cleaning rod to "Extract" the fired case. Works OK for the range but in the woods, would be a PIA.

The extractor is realy free in the slot (Floppy comes to mind).

I got it from GunParts Inc. and it looked like the old one, except it had a better looking Hook on the end. (New VS Old/used).

I have it on the bench and will try a few things.

BTW:: a resized case with a boolit head on it (No Primer/powder) extracts fine, just don't try to extract a fired case.

TwoTrees

S.R.Custom
11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Definitely a problem there with the extractor fit; it should not be loose by any stretch of the imagination. I'm guessing the spring is not correct-- see if you can order one of those, as well, as someone may have substituted one out of the toolbox after he lost the original in the carpet. Or maybe a piece broke off? The extractor on mine --a .308-- is so tight and stiff that I cannot get it to move at all under finger pressure. Makes me wonder how they got it together to start with.

Another thought, but probably not likely: If for any reason the barrel is set back --like, say, to rechamber for the purpose of setting back a long throat-- the barrel has to be re-indexed perfectly, and the extractor cut in the barrel re-cut perfectly, or you will have extractor difficulties. This kind of modification to the 99 is kind of rare given the PITA it is to execute, but it might give you insight into the extractor timing of your own gun.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Knock out a fired case with a rod, and examine it for bulges or rub marks that suggest a rough or bulged chamber. Are the cases chambering easily?

Morgan

twotrees
11-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Nothing but the extractor seems amiss. The original had the "hook" worn down from years of use. Teh new one is definatly loose in the groove. Guess I might have to order another from gun parts and see if I get one that fits tighter next go round.

I did order 2 carrier springs from them for a Savage 170 and got 2 completely diff springs !!! one did owrk the other was not close. I had made one , myself without a complete one as a guide and except I cut mine too short it was the same as the one I got from GPI.

I'll try again and see if 3rd time is a charm.

Thyanks for the replys.

TwoTrees

waksupi
11-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Will the extractor hold the rim, when not in the rifle? If it will, the extractor may just need bent a little, to get a grip on the rim.