PDA

View Full Version : sucsess!

blaser.306
11-24-2013, 11:43 PM
I do apologise in advance as due to hunting conditions and the fact that all shots taken would be long. I felt I had to knock the cobwebs out of my 300 Weatherby for this part of the season. After a couple of days seeing nothing but does , fawns and the very odd small spike horn buck this ( I presume would have been a 6X6 ) busted out of the bush beside the truck. By the time we could get into shooting position and I touched off a shot he was a measured 277 yds running hard! He only went about another 25-30 till he ran out of fluid.

357maximum
11-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Nice shooting, nice buck.....I guess we have to forgive you for "cheating" with a j-word and a superdooperearsplittenloudenboomer with a shot like that. I have only shot 4 or 5 deer in my life that were not " mostly static" and they were all close with a bow or a slug....I do not posess the skill you needed to get that one. CONGRATS

Rainier
11-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Wow! 277 yard running target - fantastic shooting! Congrats for a great looking animal and a great shot. And who says there ain't a place in this world for big ugly bang sticks? :)

blaser.306
11-25-2013, 07:43 AM
I would have liked to find the one that he was raslin with to break off his left side antler! But with conditions the way they are , last years severe winter kill and all. I am more than gratefull to have this big fella to help feed my wife and I thru another ( hopefully not 6 month ) long winter!

44 WCF
11-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Good lord, if there is chance that broken antler is laying on the ground , some Utah shed hunter will drive all the way to Saskatoon to look for it. Strange as it seems, shed hunters here are training bird dogs to look for and retrieve antlers. Good buck and will be good eats too.

Dthunter
11-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Good lord, if there is chance that broken antler is laying on the ground , some Utah shed hunter will drive all the way to Saskatoon to look for it. Strange as it seems, shed hunters here are training bird dogs to look for and retrieve antlers. Good buck and will be good eats too.

Lol!

Good job! I grew up in Prince Albert!
Hunted around Allen a bit as well! Its good to see a fellow Canuck posting pics and stories!

This hunting is fun stuff!

blaser.306
11-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Lol!

Good job! I grew up in Prince Albert!
Hunted around Allen a bit as well! Its good to see a fellow Canuck posting pics and stories!

This hunting is fun stuff!

This was actualy taken south and west of the Allan hills.

Catsmith
11-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Nice shot and nice buck. Good to see someone confident of their skills.

CastingFool
11-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Congrats on the nice buck, and great shooting! If that had been me, the buck would have lived. I made a resolve long ago not to shoot at running deer. I'm left eye dominant, right hand shooter. Either they are standing, or walking very slowly, even then I try to stop them by grunting at them.

marshall623
11-25-2013, 11:35 PM
great shot

Roundnoser
11-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Wow! A 277 yard shot at a running whitetail?! Fantastic. Perhaps we should call you "Quigley"

http://youtu.be/ab9Xep5pDwU?t=2m20s

blaser.306
11-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Wow! A 277 yard shot at a running whitetail?! Fantastic. Perhaps we should call you "Quigley"

http://youtu.be/ab9Xep5pDwU?t=2m20s

I generaly do not / will not take a long marginal shot at a game animal, However with hunting the way it is here this year and everything seen starts to run when you are a couple or 300 yds from it I decided to take the shot. I don't consider myself that good , but I did feel lucky with a good shot , swift and humane kill and a freezer full of meat for the winter. As they say " Even the blind squirrel find the odd acorn"

snoopy
11-29-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm with ya on the ethics blaser, but sometimes "ya just know". Great shot.