View Full Version : Literalists...AARGH!!!!!

Typecaster
11-17-2007, 09:52 PM
OK guys, this is NOT a tale of woe...just annoyance with myself, I guess.

My current "project rifle" is a Ruger #1 that I swapped barrels to end up with a .375 Ouch & Ouch. The replacement barrel didn't have the rib, so once I was certain that headspace was OK (it was), I called Ruger parts. I told the very helpful CSR that I didn't have all the parts, and placed the order for the ejector, rib, new screws, and dowels.

When the rib arrived, lo and behold, it had 5 holes. Two in front, 2 in back (just like all my other Rugers), and a "mystery" counterbored hole that just touched the sight dovetail. I called Ruger again to find out what went there (nothing shows on my schematics) and there was no corresponding hole in the barrel and was told "it's for the sight gib." OK. That makes sense—since there is a possibility that a .375 will kick, a locking gib makes sense.

I looked closer and saw the rib was tapped, so I asked if I could order the gib to complete the project...was told it would be sent out at no charge (Ruger has done this for several parts over the years, YEA!). Waited a week, and the envelope from N.H. arrived...with the gib, but no gib screw. Apparently it isn't considered an assembly, but 2 parts...which don't show on the schematic. AAAAGH!!!

I guess should have asked if there were any other parts—like maybe a screw —that I would need. I'm not complaining about Ruger at all—I still consider the company a class act, and that its customer service is on a par with that of RCBS—I am just chuckling at myself for not asking the right questions.

Buckshot
11-18-2007, 06:02 AM
.............Yeah but lots of times you don't expect to have to ask for the "Assembly" if it strikes you as being all together. You get a Lyman 57 SME rear sight and it comes with the screws, right? :-) I would certainly have expected the screw also. Sometimes, the parts person goes the bit extra and asks if you want fries with that, too!

..............Buckshot

wiljen
11-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I've got to agree with buckshot on that one. When was the last time you bought a car then reminded the sales person you wanted seats in it? Some things are just assumed to go together. You don't sell cars without tires etc, and you don't sell parts without the mounting hardware.

Bret4207
11-18-2007, 10:11 AM
My current "project rifle" is a Ruger #1 that I swapped barrels to end up with a .375 Ouch & Ouch........

Thanks. I just spit coffee all over the monitor!:-D:-D:-D

monadnock#5
11-18-2007, 10:22 AM
When I was in the market for an Anschutz target rifle some years ago, I decided that what I really wanted was stainless barrel to go with it. Called Champion's Choice down in Tennessee and spoke to a very polite order taker downer. As no model of Anschutz rifle was listed in the catalog with a stock stainless barrel, she couldn't help me. I don't know what possessed me to pursue the issue, but I just wouldn't let it go, I wanted a stainless barrel. As we went back and forth, I got increasingly irritated, and she got increasingly nervous. No cursing, no shouting on my part mind you, just the persistence of one who knows what he wants. Finally, in a flash of inspiration, she asked "Would you like to speak to the Gunsmith!?!", "Yes, indeed I would!". The Gunsmith promptly informed me that YES, he had exactly what I wanted, sitting on the shelf, waiting for a good home.

That rifle now sits in my locker waiting for the new smallbore season to begin. I also learned an important lesson in the bargain. When in doubt, don't waste time with the order taker downer, go directly to the Gunsmith.

Typecaster
12-02-2007, 01:40 PM
All's well that ends well...

The gib screw arrived and is installed, and the ejector needed to have .002 taken off the face that the breech block bears against. Metal work is all done.

All that's left is to rub out the Tru-Oil on the flats that meet the receiver. The price was right on the rifle because a previous owner held it in an unpadded vise—and the vise dented the stock and forearm. Judicious steaming brought the dents back flush.

Back to the bench to create some loads, now.