PDA

View Full Version : Cap gun

starmac
11-24-2013, 08:39 PM
I didn't know you could still buy cap guns, but yesterday I noticed they had rifles with a roll of caps. I'm thinking my grandson needs a new way to aggravate mom for christmas. I didn't see refill rolls, so am going to have to check into it. Are ammo for cap guns as scarce as it is for 22's. lol

mozeppa
11-24-2013, 08:52 PM
scarce on caps? yup

should be some in stock by the time the 10 day waiting period is over ...oh...and the back ground check!:lol:

starmac
11-24-2013, 09:18 PM
I have plenty of #11 caps, maybe just a little modifying and he could really get mommas attention. lol

MarkP
11-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Funny I was wondering the same thing just the other day; my Son was at Grandma's house and found my 40 yr old cap gun that used the red roll type caps. I was explaining to him what caps were and said I would try to find some.

JeffinNZ
11-24-2013, 10:57 PM
The modern caps are pretty tame. That's why there is no point buying a percussion cap making tool. Nothing to put in them.

starmac
11-24-2013, 11:05 PM
The roll of caps that comes with the rifle is wider and smaller than what i remember the rolls to be when I was a kid.

rockrat
11-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Anyone ever take a whole roll of caps and hit it with a hammer when you were a kid?!!:drinks:

Daddyfixit
11-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Anyone ever take a whole roll of caps and hit it with a hammer when you were a kid?!!:drinks:

What? Who? ME?? No dad I don't know what those burn marks on the walk way are!
Had a lot of fun with my Bangsite cannon too!

olereb
11-24-2013, 11:37 PM
I just saw a whole bunch of cap guns at the store yesterday with a ton of extra caps to go with them,its the first time in years I had seen that amount so my kids both got a pistol with enough caps my wife wanted to choke me:smile:

Blacksmith
11-24-2013, 11:38 PM
I have bought roll caps at Dollar General stores and have seen them at Tractor Supply. Also available online just Google Cap Gun. The new caps arnt as good as old caps but two in a remanufactured primer give a satisfying bang.

Mk42gunner
11-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Anybody else have one of the Kentucky rifles that shot cork balls, powered by the almost useless stick-on caps? this would have been the early seventies.

Robert

foesgth
11-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Roll caps are still around. You can get them here. (http://www.tintoyarcade.com/products/Super-Bang-Roll-Caps-Refill-1800-Shots.html?gclid=CPnojd2L_7oCFdF_Qgod0kMAtw)

waksupi
11-25-2013, 01:43 AM
I agree the current paper caps don't work too well. However, if you mix up your own primer compound, whole different story. Several formulas are available here, and elsewhere on line.

MarkP
11-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Ever shoot your dad's small rifle primers out of an air rifle or your dad's shot shell primers with a wrist rocket at a brick wall? I still remember when I put a shotshell primer in the vise and hit it with a drift punch and a hammer. My Dad came running downstairs wondering what happened, I got in a little trouble. Way louder than I expected.............. and then the wheels started turning.

I do not think my son would think of this at least I hope not.

Dale in Louisiana
11-25-2013, 03:30 PM
The initiator for grenades and many other energetic artifacts of military consequence looks amazingly like a shotshell primer.

Exactly what this information might be useful for, I just don't really know. Just tossing it out there.

dale in Louisiana

dbosman
11-25-2013, 05:20 PM
A sledge hammer and a pack of five rolls would make the hammer jump back in the air.
Really rang ones ears.

dagger dog
11-25-2013, 05:35 PM

:mrgreen: DUH YEAH !

I think that's what 'caused most of my hearing loss !

JWFilips
11-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Does anyone remember the 5 cent cap guns from the 1950s" I remember buying them at the penny ( & I mean penny) candy counter in the corner market. They were a ligt thin steel and were like a double barrel pistol that broke in the middle & you would place the roll of caps inside & thread into the hammer area! Loads of fun and just think a school would be locked down these days if a kid broght them to school! We use to have cap gun battles in the school yard at recess!

Ok & on a more unsafe note: does anyone remember scrapeing caps to get the powder? Oh well, I was a basement bomber at heart from the start. I would scrape the caps with my thumbnail and collect the powder and load it in to a model ship's cannon that my brother sent us back from his tour in Germany in the 50's ( the Hamburg to be exact) A small drilled touch hole, some cap powder and some # 2 shot ( fit the bore well!) So you see folks I was Muzzleloading when I was 9! I'm not sure if that is something to be proud of? And I sure would have to say "Don't do this at home"!

dbosman
11-25-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm really sad to say that I can think of one neighbor who'd call the police if kids were playing with cap guns.
Their kids were only allowed to have one toy out at a time. No leaving a Hot Wheels track set up for later.

Bulldogger
11-26-2013, 09:03 AM
I've got a girlfriend who's a total cheapskate (which I admire) and lately she's been dragging me to her favorite haunts; dollar stores and cheapo immigrant-section general stores. One thing that struck me is they ALL seem to have cap guns, while the major chain stores and everyday folks stores is tend to go to don't.
So, try looking at the dollar-plus stores, especially those near international food supermarkets, etc. Shopping Mall Dollar stores too, especially the run-down malls.
Bulldogger

Zymurgy50
11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
BIG BANGS?????? My grandpa used to take an old paint can and punch a nail sized hole about an inch up from the bottom. Then add about a half inch of water, drop in a couple chunks of calcium carbide, slap the lid on that sucker, and grab the torch. Us kids would race to grab the falling lid so he could light it up again.........

paul h
11-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Anybody else have one of the Kentucky rifles that shot cork balls, powered by the almost useless stick-on caps? this would have been the early seventies.

Robert

Yes, and I wish I still had it. It was pretty potent if you used 3 or 4 caps at a time.

MtGun44
11-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Hitting a whole roll of caps with a hammer will sure make your ears ring. . . . . .

Bill

starmac
11-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Hitting the roll of caps was kids stuff, when you grew up you played with the railroad torpedos. lol

paul h
11-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Dare I ask what a railroad torpedo is? Sounds like fun. :)

As a kid I didn't know that estes rocket engines were just compressed black powder. I don't recall who put it into my head but for some reason I took one or two of the engines apart, ground the propellent into a powder and put it in a empty capstick container with a piece of visco fuse in one end.

It was a bit lowder than a capgun

starmac
11-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Torpedos, probably has a different name, but that is the only thing I ever heard them called. They were a tinfoil packet about 1 1/2 in square with two aluminum straps on them. If there was some emergency on the tracks you put them on top of the rail and bent the straps down to hold it on the track. When the train hit it, it would explode with a loud enough noise to tell the engineer to get on the binders and stop the train. I put several on dump truck frames while they had the bed up, but they would not go off until they got down the road and hit a bad bump. lol I busted a lot of them with a backhoe bucket, until some schrapnel nailed me once.

.22-10-45
11-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Anybody remember Greenie Stickum Caps? And that neat belt buckle derringer that operated by sticking your stomach out? How I wanted one when I was a kid!

bbs70
11-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Anybody remember Greenie Stickum Caps? And that neat belt buckle derringer that operated by sticking your stomach out? How I wanted one when I was a kid!

I had one of those when I was a kid.
I remember sticking my belly out to operate the Derringer.
Now a days I try NOT to stick my belly out.:mrgreen:

blackthorn
11-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Nowadays my belly sticks out whether I want it to or not! A few years ago I had to adjudicate a workers comp claim for a partial hand amputation for a worker who decided to take the explosive from a couple of those railway torpedoes and make a "pipe bomb". He took a pipe nipple, screwd a cap on one end, dumped the compound into the pipe and apparently managed to get some on the exposed threads. When he went to screw the cap onto the open end it detonated and took a good chunk of his hand with it. He lost his appeal --- non work related!

JWFilips
11-27-2013, 11:58 AM
I was a lucky kid! I got a set of 2 pistols w/ivory handles and the holster with belt at the derringer buckle for my birthday I was six or seven at the time.
Do you remember those cartridges with the springs in them an the little gray plastic bullets you loaded up the cartridges with the bullets, applied the greenies and the guns would actually fire the projectile what a thrill! one of the best birthday presents ever ( not counting my "Jimmy Jet".... but that was a different technology and another love of mine) Gosh can you imagine a 6 year old getting a set of those shooting irons today? His parents would end up in jail! & the child would be wisked away by Child Services Just think of what the media would do with it!

Mumblypeg
11-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Yea, I had the guns with the Greenie Stickem caps and the cork ball muzzle loader too. Those were real toys! When I got older I started making mortars and cannons from 1 1/4 inch pipe. A D-cell battery will fit just right and 150grains of 2F Black will send it out a ways....My mom thought I was really smart but after reading this stuff it seems that I was just normal...... My mother was cool like that.... My dad just thought we were crazy.....

6bg6ga
11-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Caps were kid stuff. I remember seeing several M80's go into a toilet at school. That was rather interesting..

Ed Barrett
11-27-2013, 03:12 PM
The initiator for grenades and many other energetic artifacts of military consequence looks amazingly like a shotshell primer.

Exactly what this information might be useful for, I just don't really know. Just tossing it out there.

dale in Louisiana

I remember the mortar shells used a shotgun primers back in the 60's . They probably use a $100 specially made one now to do the same thing.

Ohio Rusty
11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Greenie stick-em caps !!!! I shot alot of those ...... I still have a cap gun (Hubley) that uses the roll caps. haven't see them since 5 cent coke bottles ....
Ohio Rusty ><>

ole 5 hole group
11-27-2013, 08:04 PM
M80's - great memories of waiting for someone to go into a public restroom with a newspaper or magazine. Gave him a couple minutes, opened the door, turned off the lights and chucked a couple under the stalls. Today that is probably classified as a terroristic crime of sorts.

mikeym1a
11-27-2013, 08:13 PM
One of my friends in the service told me he attended a public high school that had originally been an all girls school. The rest rooms were back to back, and emptied into a common line. He said an M-80 with a 4 second waterproof fuse would allow the lighter to make it to the hall to see the drenched young females exit the room.
:mrgreen:

.22-10-45
11-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Neighbor kid got a birthday present..a blued..well a light grey color really, cap gun that was patterend after the Colt 1860 Army..but had a loading gate & shot plastic cap powered bullets. I think this is where I first fell in love with the Colt cartridge conversions of their percussion revolvers..even though at the time I hadn't a clue there was such a thing! That darn kid used to throw it high in the air and laugh when it stuck muzzle first in the mud! I lusted after that gun..even to the point of planning on stealing it..funny..the thought still bothers me to this day. Few years back, I happened to find this very same gun..a Hubley I think..listed in very good condition for...$600.00!!

fatelk
11-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Funny thing, as I type this my 3yo is bugging me to load another roll into the cap gun he got for his birthday. We bought it and a bunch of caps at Walmart.

Anyone ever take a whole roll of caps and hit it with a hammer when you were a kid?!!
Anyone ever tape a whole roll to the end of their BB gun barrel? Or sneak up on a cabin roof as a teenager at snow camp and drop a box of rolls down the chimney? :) (Not me of course, that would be bad. I heard about it from a friend of a friend.)

bandit7.5
11-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Ooooooooooooooooo yeah

Ramar
11-28-2013, 06:49 AM
JWFilips said:
"I was a lucky kid! I got a set of 2 pistols w/ivory handles and the holster with belt at the derringer buckle for my birthday I was six or seven at the time.
Do you remember those cartridges with the springs in them an the little gray plastic bullets you loaded up the cartridges with the bullets, applied the greenies and the guns would actually fire the projectile what a thrill! one of the best birthday presents ever ( not counting my "Jimmy Jet".... but that was a different technology and another love of mine) Gosh can you imagine a 6 year old getting a set of those shooting irons today? His parents would end up in jail! & the child would be wisked away by Child Services Just think of what the media would do with it!"

I believe that was called the Mattel Shoot'en Shell system. Mine was stored in my parent's attic until 1973 when all my saved childhood possessions went to the local dump when they moved to Florida. I wasn't told about it until it was too late. I had alot of 1 shot kills with with those shoot'n irons.....
Ramar

xringdave
11-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Still have few packs of Kilgore roll caps

fixit
11-28-2013, 11:07 PM
BIG BANGS?????? My grandpa used to take an old paint can and punch a nail sized hole about an inch up from the bottom. Then add about a half inch of water, drop in a couple chunks of calcium carbide, slap the lid on that sucker, and grab the torch. Us kids would race to grab the falling lid so he could light it up again.........

I did that when I was a kid, [learned it from my dad] it was good, clean and relatively safe fun, even though it got on the nerves of the neighbors. today a kid would labeled a terrorist for the same thing.

Bent Ramrod
11-29-2013, 01:30 PM
I had this one as a kid. Still have it, actually. Easily 50 years old, incredibly.

It shot Greenie Stickem Caps, attached to the "bullets," which have a hole in the center to direct the fearsome blast toward the bad guy. One in the chamber and two spares in the handle.

88966 88967

I am sure possession of this thing on a modern school playground would result in a four hour lockdown of the entire school, trauma counseling for half the students and all the teachers and visits to my parents from Child Protective Services until I was 26 years old.

Multigunner
11-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Before airsoft guns became popular a Japanese company manufactured low powered replica guns that used a proprietary cap and dummy casing to drive a plastic bullet.
Most of these were pretty accurate replicas of modern autoloaders. So well made that some U S police dept used them for gun safety training, and some were used by the movie industry.
In an article on these they told of a instructor freaking out the class by pretending to have an AD while loading a S&W 76 SMG. They scattered like a flock of chickens when he cut loose a burst. The caps were very loud.
These were usually blank only models that did not fire the plastic bullet. The casing fit over a stud in the chamber to fire the cap inside, and this operated the blowback mechanism.

One of the more radical sci fi versions can be seen in the movie "Trancers" held by police guards. Those fired the plastic bullets.

I had one of the muzzle loader type derringer cap guns that fired the cork ball, it was fun.
Had a couple of different shooting shell type revolvers.
The ones I had propelled the bullet by means of a coil spring, the cap was only there to provide the report.
My little brother had a single shot replica of the SAA that used a hollow plastic bullet propelled by the greenies.

Newtire
11-29-2013, 02:21 PM

Robert
Yup, I had one. I took the barrel off and made an improvised firecracker gun and shot modelling clay balls out of it. I used an empty .410 shell with the center of the primer punched out and stuck the firecrackers inside the shell. I combined it with the action of one of those cadet style bolt action training rifles and used a wooden bolt and had a strap of plumbers tape that pivoted and came down over the back end of the bolt. The fuse stuck out the side of the bolt. It would absolutely disintegrate a clay ball against the side of the garage. Neighbors complained and threatened to call the cops so it fell by the wayside. The thing never worked shooting the corkballs with the greenie stick-um caps even.

mold maker
11-29-2013, 03:10 PM
We shot marbles with a firecracker in a piece of 1/2" conduit fastened to a wooden pistol grip. At 10' it was pretty accurate and had some punch.

mold maker
11-29-2013, 03:11 PM
We shot marbles with a firecracker in a piece of 1/2" conduit fastened to a wooden pistol grip. At 10' it was pretty accurate and had some punch.
Would you have to have an ffl to do that now?

Bullshop Junior
12-01-2013, 04:00 AM
Would you have to have an ffl to do that now?

Thats actially a prett neat idea. Might have to try that.