PDA

View Full Version : My 9, 40, 10mm bulge buster

SWANEEDB
11-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Thought I would share this, press is an old Herters Super Model No9, I had the bottom bar drilled and tapped for 7/8 x 14 to use standard dies, the 9mm casing is pushed up all the way into the carbide sizer with the handle on the up-stroke, down stroke pushes the case out, 9mm set-up is on the right of the pic, left side is the 40-10mm, case is pushed all the way thru and falls out the bottom, is quite fast, 9's are a little slower but does a real number on the case.8855688557

LUBEDUDE
11-24-2013, 09:16 PM
That's a pretty slick operation.

Where and how did you get the dies set up to do it.

I may want to convert my #9.

SWANEEDB
11-24-2013, 09:29 PM
That's a pretty slick operation.

Where and how did you get the dies set up to do it.

I may want to convert my #9.

It's pretty darn easy to do, more thinking than anything else. I do think(without going to look) they are both RCBS carbide sizer dies, for the punching them out or thru I just used some other reloading spare parts, actually they were extra bullet swaging parts. Hope this helps, want more info just ask.

LUBEDUDE
11-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Ok, thanks SWANEEDB

Catshooter
11-25-2013, 02:11 AM
I have no idea if this could be a concern, but the 9 is a tapered case. Forcing it through a die without a taper may have some effect. I have no idea, just thought I'd pass the data along in case you hadn't thought of it.

Cat

SWANEEDB
11-25-2013, 12:20 PM
I have no idea if this could be a concern, but the 9 is a tapered case. Forcing it through a die without a taper may have some effect. I have no idea, just thought I'd pass the data along in case you hadn't thought of it.

Cat

The 9's are pushed up into the 9mm die to the ejector lip-then pushed back out, that gets the bulge out better than you get with using a shell holder, shell holder limits the length you can resize, hope I made myself clear. Thanks

Johnny_V
11-25-2013, 12:36 PM
I would like to know how your reloads function and what the brass looks like after firing. Also, what type of gun are you using? I was told that going in as little as you're going was a no no, especially if you're using a Glock. Let me know, I'm curious.....

SWANEEDB
11-25-2013, 12:56 PM
I would like to know how your reloads function and what the brass looks like after firing. Also, what type of gun are you using? I was told that going in as little as you're going was a no no, especially if you're using a Glock. Let me know, I'm curious.....

In the past I've gotten brass that was fired thru a Glock, 9's, 40's and 10mm, some had the Glock bulge and would not resize enough the normal way and chambering in some other of my guns was an issue, this has taken care of that problem, this is just another step before going into my reloading press, kind of a pain but I've got the time. Thanks

Catshooter
11-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Ah, very good.

Cat