PDA

View Full Version : Relining a barrel

GOPHER SLAYER
11-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Has anyone here had any experience with relining a center fire barrel? I know of some who have had very good luck with .22 LR but I don't know of anyone who has done a center fire. I have a 310 Martini Cadet that I would like to make a .218 Bee but I prefer the shape of the original barrel and would like to keep it if I could. Thanks

Marvin S
11-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I have three center fire barrels that are lined, two in 32wcf and one in 25wcf. As long as the original barrel has enough dia for the liner it should not be a problem. Look at TJ 's liners as he has the best selection.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks Marvin.

scb
11-24-2013, 08:05 PM
This link was in my email today. Thought you might hind it interesting.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=16308/GunTechdetail/Brownells-Gunsmith-Corner-November-2013?sp_rid=MzA0NzkyOTc4MTIS1&sp_mid=7228204&spMailingID=7228204&spUserID=MzA0NzkyOTc4MTIS1&spJobID=181090661&spReportId=MTgxMDkwNjYxS0

country gent
11-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Gopher you will really like that combination. I did one years ago Martini Cadet rebarreled to 218 bee, new wood and a shillen barrel. Is a real tack driver and not overly load almost no recoil and for critters around the buildings here a real good choice. Mine has a 22" light sporter contour on it wieghs all of about 6 1/2-7lbs with 2-7 scope and when shouldered it feels like a part of me.

Frank46
11-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Somewhere around here I have a BSA 22rf barrel that I think (haven't seen it in awhile) that had a parker liner installed and was rechambered to 22 hornet. Since the bottom half of a couple threads are machined off I'm guessing that they reworked the 22rf extractor for the hornet cartridge case. This is not a cadet barrel. Looks to have come off a 12/15 as the rough dimensions are quite similar. I do have a cadet action,wood and metal with a fair bore but pitting on the outside, and had given thought to getting it relined to 38 special. Frank

uscra112
11-25-2013, 02:46 AM
I've got a High Wall barrel that was linered many years ago by CCJohnson and chambered for .22 Lovell. Rather small diameter cartridge, smaller even than the .218 Bee, but in the old days they loaded the Lovell well beyond 50K psi. I've read of Krag barrels being linered for the Lovell also. The .218 Bee and the Lovell have the same exact case capacity. I'd have at it if'n I were you.

Reg
11-25-2013, 05:09 AM
Have used a Low Wall relined into the Bee and a 44 1/2 into the K Hornet. Both shoot very well. Some old timers say quite often a good relined barrel will out shoot a new barrel.
I say go for it.

John Taylor
11-25-2013, 09:13 PM
After reading the Brownell story I thought it might be a good idea to say a few things. First off I don't use the button rifled liners, prefer the hammer forged liners from T.J.'s. If you get a drill the same size as the liner you will have a loose fit so I make up undersized piloted drills and ream for a final fit trying for about .002" clearance. The liner should slide through without dragging hard. The muzzle end of the barrel is peened lightly to make the hole a little smaller, remember you only need to move about .0015" per side for a metal to metal fit. The end of the liner is tapered a little to help spread out the Loctite. Liner should be a little longer than the barrel. Coat the liner and bore of barrel with a small amount of loctite and slide the liner in,( I usually twist it as I pushing it in. When it gets to the muzzle you can tap the liner on the floor and it will go through the peened area. Cut the barrel a little long on the muzzle and file flush on octagon or machine a crown on round barrels. If you do it right you will not see a seam at the muzzle. Both button and hammer forged liners are made from 4130 steel which is not the best for machining so cutting the chamber can be fun. Clean the reamer often, use a good cutting oil and run the rpms a little faster than you would on a 4140 barrel.
New liner drills with floating pilot here, http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/

andremajic
11-27-2013, 11:41 PM
I documented my first adventure in relining in this thread. I appreciate John Taylor for sharing his knowledge with me!
Here's a link to my thread in special projects:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?220004-1873-relining-barrel-(pics)
TJ's liners owner was on vacation in Australia, but he's back in the States now and returning all his voicemails.
He's a really nice fellow and worth doing business with!
Andy.

Outpost75
11-28-2013, 12:06 AM
I had an 1894 Winchester in.30-30 which had a shot-out barrel which wouldn't even stabilize jacketed bullets. John Taylor recommended relining instead of reboring because the old Winchester nickle steel.barrels are hard to get good interior finish on. I decided on a .35 on the .30-30 case with 16" twist and could not be happier. Splits the diffeence between. 32-40 and. 38-55, and is in my opinion the perfect cast bullet hunting rifle.

rbertalotto
11-28-2013, 01:38 AM
I wrote an article on my web site of my first adventure rescuing a Winchester 1873 with a barrel lining. Www.rvbprecision.com

andremajic
12-07-2013, 03:53 PM
I wrote an article on my web site of my first adventure rescuing a Winchester 1873 with a barrel lining. Www.rvbprecision.com

I think I had found your page in the past when I was looking into relining. Your article helped push me into action. Thanks!