PDA

View Full Version : Any good recipies for this.

cdet69
11-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Janoosh
11-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Very Nice...Where did you tag it? Had Bear roast once...it was...okay.

cdet69
11-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Tusten, New York. It was on my friends property that borders the Delaware River. She said the last time someone got a bear there was 43 years ago.

waksupi
11-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Brine and smoke the hams. Yummy~!
Sausage for the rest of it.

cdet69
11-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Do you need to use any other meat to make sausage?

oldgeezershooter
11-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Do you need to use any other meat to make sausage?
Add some pork or beef fat.

MaryB
11-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Treat it like pork

grampa243
11-24-2013, 10:03 PM
love bear.

slow cook with wine vinegar like beef roast :) season to your liking.

upr45
11-24-2013, 10:21 PM
I like a 2-3 # Bear roast cooked with a pork roast of about the same size. Brown them on 2 sides then in roasting pan with some onion soup mix and a can of cream of celery soup (& another can of milk or milk water mix). Cook at 325 for as long as a similar sized pork roast. The pork makes the gravy better.
Never had enough left for sausage as the bear trimmings make the best stew.
Congratulations!

AlaskanGuy
11-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Grind it if its older then a 2 year old... Mix with 8-10% pork suet, and have the best bear burgers.... Orrrrrrrrrrrr

You could slice the whole thing up into strips, and make bear jerky... Yummmmmm

Orrrrrrrrr you could get a big old crock pot, and make corned bear... Use any old corn beef recipe... Really awesome with cabbage or on an sandwich wi home made bread.... (My favorite)

Black bear is one of the staples around here in the spring. Fall bear is kinda fishy around here, but prolly ok in your neck of the woods...

Congrats.. I dont see a story on how that dead bear came to be?????? Story, Story, Story....

Alaskan

Muskyhunter1
11-25-2013, 12:03 AM
When you cook a bear roast use Pepsi and Ketchup. You will be amazed. I usually shoot a bear every year at my camp and we have a community bear roast done that way. Also make sure you remove all the fat and bone before freezing and/or cooking. The best way to butcher them is seaming the meat out. Enjoy.

cdet69
11-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Ok so here is the story. I went up to Tusten, NY with a friend of mine to hunt. I have an open invitation to hunt a large parcel of land any time I want. Yes it is like being a spoiled little rich kid in a toy store with this opportunity. I was about a half mile in the woods off of the nearest logging trail. Didn't realize this until after I shot the bear. Lately the weather had been warmer than normal this time of year so the chance of running into a bear was possible. We hunted the first half of the day in a heavy drizzle and took a break for lunch. I had to change my clothes because they were wet which was no problem as I brought a second set. I also decided to change rifles as I wanted because I wanted to see if my 30-06 was still sighted in. I had just finished making sure it was clean and ready the night before when my dogs nocked it over messing around. It hit the floor hard and I was worried it would be off. I shot a little orange dot target and it was still dead on. Well no reason to get the 7MM STW back out because I had a fouled and dead on rifle sitting in. So off we went into the woods to a set of ledges over looking the gully bellow. I was there for about two hours when the critter showed up. She stopped about fifty yards from the deadfall I was leaning up against between two trees. Checked to make sure was alone and took the shot. It was a perfect hit taking out the heart and lungs there was nothing left of them but mush. The rifle was a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 and the load was a Remington 30-06 180 grain Core-Lokt bullet sorry no cast. The bear went down like a rocks and never moved after the shot. The shot was a complete pass through and left a blood spray going about eight feet the other side.Amazing how a classic bullet still gets the job done.

Gibbs44
11-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I've always liked bear steaks fried up and put to gravy. Eaten over biscuits and mashed potatoes.