PDA

View Full Version : Gi brass/ carbide problems?

dg31872
11-24-2013, 03:32 PM
RCBS says to only resize domestic commercial 30 carbine brass in the carbide sizer. And they
say to lightly lube every fourth or fifth case.

I got this off of the MidwayUSA page on RCBS 30 carbine carbide die set. Click on die info. What do ya'll say?

ReloaderFred
11-24-2013, 04:59 PM
In my .30 Carbine carbide die, I lube all the cases, and size everything that has .30 Carbine on the headstamp, both commercial and military.

Hope this helps.

Fred

1hole
11-24-2013, 05:27 PM
"What do ya'll say? "

I say trust RCBS more for the commercial cases than Bubba down at the the local Tire and Reloading Shop. I also say to lube all of your GI cases.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Even though .30 carbine look like pistol cases, they are not. They are rifle cases, have a pretty good taper and the milsurp brass is generally pretty thick walled, often with tar sealer, depending on when they were manufactured. My suggestion with your milsurp brass is to inspect it for the tar, soak in a jar of gasoline to dissolve the tar, tumble clean, then lube all your .30 carbine cases when you resize them.

Can't address the RCBS cases, but I have used the Lee 3 die case with a Lee factory crimp die for .30 carbine for years and years with absolute success. I load a lot of .30 carbine with lead boolits I cast myself.

Okie73
11-24-2013, 06:00 PM
.30 carbine is fairly stout brass no matter what it says on the head stamp. I generally lube every other case and use Lee carbide sizer.
I haven't noticed much difference in sizing the cases this way as far as one being tougher to size than the other. JMHO

dg31872
11-24-2013, 06:09 PM
This is from MidwayUSA's link to RCBS. I quote: "The 30 M-1 Carbine Tungsten Carbide Sizer Die is shipped from the factory for use with American commercial cases only. The wall thickness of some military and foreign cases is too thick and should not be used with this die as damage to the die and shell holder could result."
"While it is not necessary to lubricate pistol straight sided cases, the 30 M-1 Carbine case is heavy walled and must have some lubrication. We recommend lightly lubricating every fourth or fifth case for best results. No lubrication will cause a damaged shell holder."
I have a RCBS carbide die set for M-1 carbine, and military brass. The was I read this I have to get different brass or a different die set. Does anyone here use carbide sizers on military carbine brass?

bobthenailer
11-24-2013, 06:45 PM
when i size 30 carbine brass i lube all the cases even with a carbide sizing die !

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-24-2013, 09:37 PM
My personal opinion on a their limitation is: If it won't re-size military surplus brass, regardless of caliber, but especially US military surplus, it isn't suitable for use on my bench. Sounds to me like the dies aren't up to snuff if they are limited and can't handle brass re-sizing. I'd suggest sending them back and getting a different brand.

Bayou52
11-24-2013, 09:55 PM
I use a RCBS carbide 30 carbine die. Each brass gets lubed as each one needs it.

Bayou52

Kevin Rohrer
11-24-2013, 10:53 PM
I use a carbide sizing die for my .30 Carbine brass, and lube each case. Tried to do otherwise, but it was obvious that unlubed cases were going to get stuck in the die.

Bullwolf
11-25-2013, 01:41 AM
I use an RCBS .30 carbine carbide die set.

I apply case lube on every piece of brass I size using the carbide die - Be it commercial, or military surplus brass.

As long as I have done this, I have had no problems sizing old Military brass, or modern manufacture imported or domestic brass.

It takes a fair amount of effort to re-size .30 carbine, and it's just not worth the wear and tear on myself, the reloading press, or the risk of a sticking a case in the die.

Yes, it is a carbide sizing die... But I still lube all my .30 carbine cases when I use it, and have had no problems whatsoever with the carbide RCBS .30 carbine sizer die as long as I continue to do so.

- Bullwolf

dg31872
11-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Thank you for your answers/help. Now I know what to do.