PDA

View Full Version : 45ACP Oversize Flash Holes

StratsMan
11-24-2013, 03:08 PM
I've started to notice some really big flash holes in Winchester 45 ACP brass. Not all the cases are like this, and I didn't cut bigger holes... Has anyone else noticed this???

I've put up a picture of "normal" Winchester brass next a Blazer that has a slightly larger flash hole, then a second pic that shows several Winchester cases with gigantic flash holes... Didn't measure the holes, as the difference is obvious...

88537 88538

billyb
11-24-2013, 03:16 PM
The great big hole is for the non toxic priming compound. I toss those in the scrape bucket. The blazer appears to be the new standard for the Blazer, Speer and CCI factory loads. All of the above that I have has been like the Blazer you show. They are safe to reload, have done several thousand with no problem. Bill

StratsMan
11-24-2013, 03:30 PM
The great big hole is for the non toxic priming compound.

Thanks Bill... Just the kind of info I was looking for....

Outpost75
11-24-2013, 03:35 PM
I have tested large vs. standard flash hole in. 45 ACP using Winchester brass and WLP primers with H&G68 and standard charges from 4.5 to 5.0 grains of Bullseye and noted NO difference whatever in terms of velocity, uniformity or 50- yard accuracy. Similarly tested small vs. large Winchester primers in standard and NT small primer brass with same loads and likewise no difference.

Do not know how other powders or primers react, but Winchester brass and primers with Bullseye and H&G68 with standard primers, there is no issue.

Wag
11-24-2013, 03:40 PM
I just load 'em and shoot 'em as with any others. No issues have ever occurred for me.

--Wag--

markinalpine
11-24-2013, 03:58 PM
At one time the Winchester web-site had a FAQ section, and the question about the larger flash holes in their WinClean line of brass came up. The response was that it was safe to use for any reloads, but it isn't there anymore. I have also noticed that the flash holes in Blazer cases tends to be larger, and some of the Asian brands not only have large flash holes, but rather irregular shapes that are not even close to round.
I'd dump the irregular brass, and reload the rest.
Mark :coffeecom

EDIT: I did some searching around, and found this at The High Road:
"Answer: Regarding the enlarged flash hole of the shellcase loaded in 45 Auto WinClean products (WC451 and WC452): The flash hole in this shellcase was enlarged in order to achieve optimal ignition while utilizing a lead/ heavy metal free primer. Winchester conducted extensive testing prior to the introduction of this product and determined that the larger flash hole will not have an adverse effect on reloads using standard leaded primers. Please remember, Winchester does not offer a component lead/ heavy metal free primer. Other calibers within the WinClean line are manufactured with a standard diameter flash hole. As always, reloaders should utilize published data from a recognized source and work loads up carefully."

This was the response I remember seeing at the Winchester web-site that I can't find now. I was posted back in 2003 at: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-13940.html&

Mark [smilie=s:

StratsMan
11-26-2013, 09:19 AM
I have tested large vs. standard flash hole in. 45 ACP using Winchester brass and WLP primers with H&G68 and standard charges from 4.5 to 5.0 grains of Bullseye and noted NO difference whatever in terms of velocity, uniformity or 50- yard accuracy. Similarly tested small vs. large Winchester primers in standard and NT small primer brass with same loads and likewise no difference.

Do not know how other powders or primers react, but Winchester brass and primers with Bullseye and H&G68 with standard primers, there is no issue.

Outpost,

Thanks for doing the R&D Testing and saving me the time... :grin: Your recipe just about duplicates mine, and I sure enjoy casting with the old H&G molds...

garym1a2
11-26-2013, 09:36 AM
I am glad to see that small primers seem to work. At my range most people that use small primer 45 acp brass do not pick it up and I am getting quite a bit of it. Someday I will have to try it.

Down South
11-26-2013, 10:41 AM
I am glad to see that small primers seem to work. At my range most people that use small primer 45 acp brass do not pick it up and I am getting quite a bit of it. Someday I will have to try it.
I do the same thing, collect the small primer 45 acp brass. Some say it is more accurate, I don't know.
Someday if I run short of LP brass, I'll start loading the SP brass. I have lots of small pistol primers.