PDA

View Full Version : First kill of the season, older doe with NOE 311-180gr K31 BOOLIT

Griz44mag
11-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Sorry about the dark pic, the kill was made 4 minutes before the grace after sundown rule had expired, by the time I filled out the tag and walked the 130 yards to the doe, it was DARK.
The gun is my Remington 700 VSF chambered in 308 Winchester. The Boolit is the NOE 311-180gr FP K31 with a gas check. The lead is 22 BH alloy mixed from Monotype and range diggings. They are loaded with Varget to 2350 FPS and lubed with beeswax and lithium red grease. She walked in right at sundown and milled qround until I finall got a clean shot through the Texas brush of mesquite and cedar. When she finally gave me a decent broadside, I took it, but dark was closing fast. She stood perfectly still on the spot for 20 seconds or so, I was in total disbelief thinking somehow I had managed to miss! Then she dropped, right in her tracks, exactly where she was standing when I pulled the trigger. The shot hit low center in the lungs just behind the front leg, and exited through the rib cage on the other side. EXACTLY where I was aiming. I did lose some skirt on the exit side, entry side was a clean hole. The bullet could not be found even the next day in daylight. She aged at 3-1/2 years, I generally prefer a 2-1/2 years old for the sweeter meat, but she looked great on butcher out.

357maximum
11-24-2013, 02:03 PM
SA-weet, sometimes them deer do neat things after the spark plug is lit.

Dthunter
11-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Good job! Its nice to see someone shooting a cast bullet to its "greater" potential! The 308win is a super cast caliber!

AlaskanGuy
11-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Great Job... Nice freezer filling cast kill...... I did notice that your boolits look a bit pinkish.... must be the pic??? or did you figure out how to color lead a bit????

Blessings

Magana559
11-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Awesome! More meat!

Griz44mag
11-25-2013, 09:28 PM
No Alaska, they really do have a color cast to them. I'm not sure where the pink cast comes from, in reality, it's a bit more purple than pink. Guess that what happens when you cast what you got. I mix and match material until I get the hardness I want, and they always shoot good. I will try for a second and third doe in two more deer trips this year. Got to get enough in the freezer to last until next November! I usually lose about half my meat every year, and still can't fully explain why, but it always seems to go missing after my "kids" and their kids come to visit... [smilie=l:

marshall623
11-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Good shot , I might have to try some cast in my 308

Grendel99
11-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Cool, I've never heard of a deer doing that before. They do act pretty strange sometimes after the shot though. Don't know if I would call a 3.5 year old doe "older". I got one this year that was 8.5 years old and even with her age the meat was very tender. My friend shot a 1.5 year old doe the same day I shot my 8.5 year old and we had some of the meat from both that night and couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Griz44mag
11-26-2013, 09:06 PM
My friend shot a 1.5 year old doe the same day I shot my 8.5 year old and we had some of the meat from both that night and couldn't tell the difference between the two.
Grendel, that's the main reason I don't hunt horns anymore, I'm looking for that sweet meat! The last horns I harvested was some 3 decades ago, with the exception of a management spike at the request of a landowner.
At 4-1/2 or 5-1/2 a doe usually has stopped breeding, so that's why I call them an "older" doe. I have never harvested a deer that toothed at anything past 6-1/2 years, and she looked like an old grandma, teeth worn to the gum line and more gray than my beard. When the teeth are gone, they starve to death. But the TPWD guy tells me that Texas deer wear teeth faster than most other places because of the grit and sand that's always blowing here.

Crawdaddy
11-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Does are the most tasty, congrats!