PDA

View Full Version : Need help Id'ing

bobcat57
11-24-2013, 12:10 PM
I have noticed my Argy seems to be a little different,can someone I D this and tell me when it was made and for what country.....Dutch maybe ?...below is what is on the reciever and serial # matches on everything, but previous owner sporterized the stock and ruined any collector value

Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891

Deutsche Waffen-Und

Berlin

serial # S 8067

Larry Gibson
11-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Argentino.....means it was made for Argentina by DWM. So what is "a little different" about it? A picture or two would help?

Larry Gibson

bobcat57
11-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Larry I put a pic in my other post......nothing except doesnt say Lowe Berlin , thats all

Larry Gibson
11-24-2013, 02:48 PM
DWM became Lowe or visa versa .....don't recall which off the top of my head.....so it's the same basic M91 with a different name stamped on it:veryconfu

Larry Gibson

Multigunner
11-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Ludwig Lowe bought controlling interest of Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik in 1896. Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik originally only made cartridges , Lowe then merged the cartridge and firearms facilities under the title Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken (DWM).

Larry Gibson
11-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Ludwig Lowe bought controlling interest of Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik in 1896. Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik originally only made cartridges , Lowe then merged the cartridge and firearms facilities under the title Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken (DWM).

Exactly what I meant to say..........:bigsmyl2:

Larry Gibson

bobcat57
11-25-2013, 08:28 PM
8861588615Well I was under the impression that I had a 1891 Argentine carbine,after much research I have discovered it was at one time a long gun made in 1899 that has had the barrel shortened as is the stock to sporterize it and the bolt handle has been bent down some what unless the carbine bolt will fit.

MtGun44
11-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Yes, what is different is that it was low-bucks sporterized long rifle, as was very common a few decades ago.
You could buy the rifle for $35 and then sporterize it for nothing but a bit of work and have a $35
hunting rifle.

Deutsche = German (in the German language) like Deutscheland = Germany, I know it looks like

Dutch, but it isn't.

Bill

Multigunner
11-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Some were altered in this way by small companies before being sold to the public.
Mosin Nagant and 93 Mauser sporters were more common but I've seen advertisements for sporters made from the 91 and the Enfields as well.

Besides rifles altered specifically for sale to civilians some governments had surplus rifles sportered to give to various local tribes and such for hunting, and as defensive weapons for forestry employees and such. Turkey sold off many of these, mostly cut down WW1 era French rifles, years ago.