PDA

View Full Version : New grips for an OM BH ?

Southpaw 72
11-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Looking at a set of over sized grips for my OM. Anyone out there have experience with Pachmayr presentation grips or Herret style grips?

Shuz
11-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I have a set of Herret's Shooting Stars on my old Ruger flat top XR-3 frame .44 mag and I really like them.

Silver Jack Hammer
11-24-2013, 11:06 AM
When I was a kid in college I had a SBH that I tired Pachmayr grips on so I could shoot 22 gr of 2400 with 240 gr boolits. The factory grip caused the back of the Dragoon trigger guard to rap my second knuckle causing bleeding. I tried the Pachmayr but it ripped the palm of my skin. See, the arched backstrap of the single action is designed to allow the grip to slip in your hand as the muzzle arc's skyward under recoil. The Pachmayr rubber caught my skin and ripped it causing bleeding. I went with the Herret which tamed my SBH into a pussycat in recoil. I have large hands and the Herrit is a large grip but it sure worked for me.

Your OP mentioned an OM BH so I don't know if my post helps you out much or not. If your shooting .357 or .45 Colt you should be fine with Pachmayr and/or if you have a smaller hand the Herret might be too large for you.

Currently I have a 3 screw SBH which I had an Old Army grip frame fitted to and some custom purpleheart wood grips made with a Ruger medallion. This works as I am now shooting 9 gr of Unique and a 245 gr Keith RCBS 44-250-K crimped over the first driving band for about 1100 fps.

Southpaw 72
11-24-2013, 11:17 AM
When I was a kid in college I had a SBH that I tired Pachmayr grips on so I could shoot 22 gr of 2400 with 240 gr boolits. The factory grip caused the back of the Dragoon trigger guard to rap my second knuckle causing bleeding. I tried the Pachmayr but it ripped the palm of my skin. See, the arched backstrap of the single action is designed to allow the grip to slip in your hand as the muzzle arc's skyward under recoil. The Pachmayr rubber caught my skin and ripped it causing bleeding. I went with the Herret which tamed my SBH into a pussycat in recoil. I have large hands and the Herrit is a large grip but it sure worked for me.

Your OP mentioned an OM BH so I don't know if my post helps you out much or not. If your shooting .357 or .45 Colt you should be fine with Pachmayr and/or if you have a smaller hand the Herret might be too large for you.

Currently I have a 3 screw SBH which I had an Old Army grip frame fitted to and some custom purpleheart wood grips made with a Ruger medallion. This works as I am now shooting 9 gr of Unique and a 245 gr Keith RCBS 44-250-K crimped over the first driving band for about 1100 fps.

The gun is chambered in 45 lc. I have larger hands and the factory grips are on the small side for me. 255 swc @1150 is a bit uncomfortable and hoping the larger grips will help me out.

contender1
11-24-2013, 11:18 AM
If you go to www.rugerforum.com and go to the auction links etc section, look for a custom grip maker 41 magnum. He offers oversized grips as well. Just a thought.

Lefty Red
11-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Boone Trading Company. They will fit fake "ivory" grips and add the Ruger eagle at a good price. They did my NW SBH and really helped the looks and shootablity of the weapon.

Jerry

Southpaw 72
11-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info and leads guys.

Kraschenbirn
11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I bought my first BH in 1964 (still own it!) and had the same problem with the factory grips. Originally, I put a set of Herrets on the gun but just couldn't seem to get comfortable with them so I eventually switched to Pachmayrs and those grips are still on the gun today...still butt-ugly but they work for me.

Bill

MtGun44
11-24-2013, 01:13 PM
I have a .45 Colt BH that came with some Ajax (IIRC) brand genuine sambar stag grips. I was
totally uninterested in the grips when I bought the gun, and the gun shop owner mentioned in
passing that the grips were quite valuable. Didn't much register at the time, actually. As I
worked up to a ".45 Magnum" load, I was impressed how mild the recoil was. It wasn't until
I swapped the factory wood grips back on until I suddenly realized that the mild feel of the
recoil was totally DUE TO THOSE GRIPS! After a good bit of surprise, I started examining these
grips closely. Two things stand out - first, they are about 3/16" thicker on each grip than
the factory grip - making a 3/16" flat portion on either side of the backstrap, then rolling
into the normal rounded shape. Second, the stag 'rippling' of the surface really grips
the hand in the middle of the palm, also picking up some the load from recoil.

A friend shot mine, then bought a stainless one, but is now disappointed because he can't
find any grips like mine and the recoil is unpleasant with the factory grips.

This is BY FAR the biggest difference in apparent recoil that I have ever felt from just a grip
change. It is simply amazing. If you can find some grips that had this extra width with
the extra flat area beside the backstrap, I think you will be pleased.

Oh - I also found out that the grips were worth about as much as the gun at that time! About
$300-350. I was planning on taking them off when I originally bought the gun, as I have
always thought that stag grips were a bit "tacky" appearance-wise. I have entirely changed
my mind.

Bill

Char-Gar
11-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Factory Ruger grips are an abomination (for me at least) due to the bevel on the bottom and their over all thinness. They hurt my hand and make recoil difficult to control. Good wood grips cured all of my problems related to that. A flat bottom and extra thickness works well for me.

Here are two such Ruger and grips that work for me. An OM SBH with Blu-Magnum grips and a Flatop (Lipsey's) 45 with grips by Craig Cary.

ReloaderFred
11-24-2013, 02:16 PM
I finally decided on Altamont Grips for my Blackhawks and Single Sixes, since they're better looking and wider where they need to be. They're also priced right!

Here's the link: http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_blackhawk.php

Hope this helps.

Fred

Southpaw 72
11-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Just bought the Herret grips. Thanks for all the input.

rockshooter
11-24-2013, 10:23 PM
A nice thing about the Herret stocks- and this may be blasphemous- any part that feels a little too big can easily be customized with a Dremel sanding drum, sandpaper, 0000 steel wool and linseed oil.
Loren

Silver Jack Hammer
11-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Great, interesting posts MtnGun44, rockshooter, et al. My wife bought me a new BH 4 3/4" .45 Colt years ago. There was just something not right about it, finally it dawned on me. The wood needed checkering. Lett was in business back then and they made a set of fancy walnut checkered grips with Ruger medallions. That was the right fix for the right price.

Moonie
12-02-2013, 05:26 PM
I have a set of Hogue's on my 45/45 convertible, ugly as sin but they certainly work well for taming the recoil.