PDA

View Full Version : Thumler's Tumbler Model B Hi-speed belt -equivalent o-ring size

Bayou52
11-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi, All -

From a previous post, I noted that I was having problems with Thumler's Tumbler Model B Hi-speed belts breaking all too frequently. The replacement belts are $5-$6 a pop, so this was getting expensive. I went on the search for the equivalent o-ring size in hopes of getting both a cheaper and longer lasting belt.

I measured a new replacement belt and researched the matter. It appears the standard sized o-ring that corresponds with the Thumler's belt size is o-ring number .343 with the following dimensions:

O-ring Size: 3 3/4"ID X 4 1/8"OD X 3/16"CS

I ordered several ethylene propylene o-rings in this size. I'm told this composition resists stretching. They were 80 cents apiece. After my first tumble today using these o-rings, I can report they fit perfectly on my tumbler and works no different than the replacement belt.

Time will tell how long this o-ring will last with continous use, but I'm going to find out. I have a hunch it won't be any worse than the actual replacement belts, and hopefully, will be much better.

I hope this info helps. I haven't seen this equivalent size info posted anywhere else.

Bayou52

dbosman
11-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Great find.
You forgot to tell us where to order from though. ;-)

Bayou52
11-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Great find.
You forgot to tell us where to order from though. ;-)

Sure, dbosman -

Here is the web page to the exact ethylene propylene o-rings I purchased. They were prompt in shipping. Had no issues with the order.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_152&products_id=6511

Good luck and happy tumbling....

Bayou52

Wally
11-24-2013, 10:15 AM
My Thumler's Tumbler Model B is from 1980...have the original "O" ring belt on it. I always remove the belt from the pulley when not running it...it is 33 years old now.

Airman Basic
11-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Shows to go ya. Mine's about 30 also, but I've never pulled the belt. Worried about stretching it, don't ya know.

Bayou52
11-24-2013, 11:32 AM
My Thumler's Tumbler Model B is from 1980...have the original "O" ring belt on it. I always remove the belt from the pulley when not running it...it is 33 years old now.

Wally -

I also have been pulling off the belt after each tumble, but I've had very short belt life and for no apparent reason!

I wish I had your luck with those tumbler belts lasting so long. I really think these o-rings are going to have a longer life span than the factory replacement belts - at about 7 times cheaper!

Bayou52

ColColt
11-24-2013, 11:54 AM
I think I'll order a few of those...thanks, Bayou.

dbosman
11-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Thank you bayou52.

captbligh
11-24-2013, 12:41 PM
I had an old thumler given to me that had no belt. Went through multiple varieties of vacuum cleaner belts with no good results. Finally went to Home Depot and bought some GE UCRING o-rings for GE filtration units. Don't remember the exact price, but very inexpensive and the first ring I put on has lasted nearly a year with no visible wear. Of course, that might be because I bought about five bags with two rings in each. I'm sure if I only had one it would probably break right away.

LUBEDUDE
11-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks Bayou, I went ahead and ordered six at .80 each. Even though I've had no problems with either of my two units. But it's a matter of time.

Bayou52
11-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks Bayou, I went ahead and ordered six at .80 each. Even though I've had no problems with either of my two units. But it's a matter of time.

Sounds good, LubeDude -

Never hurts to have a few spares in the hip pocket. I certainly won't be ordering factory repacement belts anymore. Not at $5 - $6 apiece!

Bayou52

gwpercle
11-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I had an old thumler given to me that had no belt. Went through multiple varieties of vacuum cleaner belts with no good results. Finally went to Home Depot and bought some GE UCRING o-rings for GE filtration units. Don't remember the exact price, but very inexpensive and the first ring I put on has lasted nearly a year with no visible wear. Of course, that might be because I bought about five bags with two rings in each. I'm sure if I only had one it would probably break right away.
What department of Home Depot, I'm not familar with a filtration unit. I want something I can buy locally but home depot is a big place to wander around aimlessly looking for something I have no idea what it is or looks like. Do you have a home depot or manufacturer's product number ? would appreciate it.

Gary

Airman Basic
11-25-2013, 03:50 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Carbon-Filter-O-Ring-UCRING/202061299

Bayou52
11-26-2013, 06:37 AM

Good info, thanks -

Bayou52

xman777
11-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Good post here! This is why forums are such a good thing for everybody.

By the way, a few things I did to improve belt tracking/reduce wobble are to firm up the motor mount and to use a dab of silicone grease on the white bushings that the tumbler rides on. Those two things really make it run much better in my opinion.

Bayou52
11-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Good post here! This is why forums are such a good thing for everybody.

By the way, a few things I did to improve belt tracking/reduce wobble are to firm up the motor mount and to use a dab of silicone grease on the white bushings that the tumbler rides on. Those two things really make it run much better in my opinion.

Xman777 ,

Can I ask how you firmed up the motor mount on the model B? There are no motor mount adjustments on my tumbler.

Thanks -

Bayou52

xman777
11-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I made a bracket and fastened it to the rear of the motor. Be careful you get it tracking correctly before you snug everything down!

Bayou52
11-26-2013, 02:48 PM
I made a bracket and fastened it to the rear of the motor. Be careful you get it tracking correctly before you snug everything down!

Thanks -

Bayou52

plainsman456
11-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Most good auto parts stores should have that size o-ring in stock.

I also have a tube of super glue for when it breaks,in a pinch.

Bayou52
11-26-2013, 08:47 PM
I also have a tube of super glue for when it breaks,in a pinch.

Does super glue actually work to hold tumbler belts together? It just seems thst the glue wouldn't hold under the load, but I've never tried it.

Bayou52

Bayou52
12-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Just a status report on the ethylene propylene o-ring substitute for the Thumler's Tumbler belt. So, far, after many multiple tumbling sessions, the o-ring is holding up like new.

Thes o-rings appear to be an improvement over the replacement belts which, for me, wouldn't last long at all. And for no aparent reason!

Hope this helps -

Happy tumbling...

Bayou52

mikeym1a
12-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Does super glue actually work to hold tumbler belts together? It just seems thst the glue wouldn't hold under the load, but I've never tried it.

Bayou52

years ago, when 8-track players were the rage, the drive belts kept breaking, rendering them useless. My dad fixed them with a kit that contained lengths of various sized 'rubber' belt material. He would measure, diagonal cut the ends, and then use what looked like super glue on the ends, let them cure a bit, and then put them on the players. It worked for them, but not sure how well it would work for a larger belt like this drive unit. My Thumbler is an AR-2. The motor is fixed on its mounting plate, and the belt was loose and slipping. I dismounted the motor, elongated the mounting holes, and remounted the motor, and adjusted the travel. No slippage now. The belt is the one that came on it, and it does exhibit deterioration due to the previous slippage, but with tightening, works fine. :-)

plainsman456
12-14-2013, 07:38 PM
It will do the job,for how long i don't know.

I do keep all of my broken belts and glue them when i need 1.

Bayou52
12-16-2013, 08:56 PM
It will do the job,for how long i don't know.

I do keep all of my broken belts and glue them when i need 1.

Well, I will have to give the glue the broken belt technique a try out.

Catshooter
12-17-2013, 11:52 PM

Bayou52

Not in my experience it didn't. Although I cut the O ring material that I had square, not diagonally.

Cat

mikeym1a
12-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Not in my experience it didn't. Although I cut the O ring material that I had square, not diagonally.

Cat

Cutting it diagonally gives the adhesive more surface area to grip. I've actually had mixed results doing it. Pop never seemed to have a problem with it. But, he's gone now, so I can't go ask him. It bites when the 'answer man' leaves.

Bayou52
12-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I know all so well.....

parkerdude
04-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Hi All,

I just received 2 of these belts in the mail yesterday. When I researched a replacement belt, a Eureka vacuum belt was recommended, so I found this one for $1.35 w/ free shipping (http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Belt-Sanitaire-by-Eureka/dp/B0006619RG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395927028&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=eureka+replacement+belt+52100+OR+30563) ! That's $2.70 to my front door !

I ran it most of today with a few batches and it works FINE.

Good luck.

parkerdude

Bayou52
04-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Hi All,

I just received 2 of these belts in the mail yesterday. When I researched a replacement belt, a Eureka vacuum belt was recommended, so I found this one for $1.35 w/ free shipping (http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Belt-Sanitaire-by-Eureka/dp/B0006619RG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395927028&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=eureka+replacement+belt+52100+OR+30563) ! That's $2.70 to my front door !

Good luck.

parkerdude

Good to know, parrkerdude. Thanks!

Here ar some o-rings on Amazon that will work, too -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMUUQC/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

10 for $2.77 plus shipping, I believe. Another poster provided this link to me recently....

Murphy
04-05-2014, 09:37 AM
I keep thinking eventually someone will come up with a chain driven conversion for the Thumbler's Tumbler.

Hey, if you're gonna dream...dream big. :)

Murphy

deepskyridge
04-05-2014, 10:05 AM
I have one of the Tumblers. I don't think it's a high speed. Does the high speed have a different motor ? Does anyone have a source for buying a high speed motor ?

Thanks for the tip on the o-rings. I will order a few.

Gary

Bayou52
04-05-2014, 01:36 PM
I have one of the Tumblers. I don't think it's a high speed. Does the high speed have a different motor ? Does anyone have a source for buying a high speed motor ?

Thanks for the tip on the o-rings. I will order a few.

Gary

Hi, Gary -

Here's a link to the replacement motor for the Thumlers model B hi-speed:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/model-b-high-speed-motor-110v.html

Happy Tumbling......

Bayou52
04-05-2014, 02:54 PM
I keep thinking eventually someone will come up with a chain driven conversion for the Thumbler's Tumbler.

Hey, if you're gonna dream...dream big. :)

Murphy

I agree. In fact, when the Extreme Rebel 17 tumbler recently came out supposedly as a improvement over the Thumler's, I noticed they did nothing to get rid of the cheesy/dinky drive belt. Apppears to be a red belt rather than a clear belt - that's it.

deepskyridge
04-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Hi, Gary -

Here's a link to the replacement motor for the Thumlers model B hi-speed:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/model-b-high-speed-motor-110v.html

Happy Tumbling......

Thanks for the info, can someone give me the FASCO part number of the high speed motor ?

Thanks
Gary

Bayou52
04-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info, can someone give me the FASCO part number of the high speed motor ?

Thanks
Gary

I don't personally know the answer to your question, but I saw this information on another forum pertaining to the Thumlers hi-speed motor:

Fasco #7121577, Type U21
3000 rpm, V 115, Hz 60, A 1.12, Hp 1/30

You'll have to verify its accuracy.....

Hope this helps.

Bayou52
08-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Hi, Guys -

This is a follow-up status report on the ethylene-propylene o-ring that I've substituted for the Thumler's factory belt. The factory belts were breaking all too frequently, so I switched to this o-ring.

Well, it's been nearly a year now, with scores of tumbling sessions behind it, and the very first o-ring is still working perfectly. I've never gotten this life span out of a factory belt. The o-rings are $0.80 and worth every penny in my book.

Thanks, All -

Bayou52

gwpercle
08-21-2014, 07:44 PM
I have down loaded and printed the Home Depot spec. sheet showing the carbon filter o-ring model #UCRING so I will remember which one to get. And printed the 0-ring store sheet.
While looking at the Home Depot print out it says this item can't be shipped to: AK, GU, HI, PR, or VT...I wonder why not??? it's a rubber o-ring!!!!
Anyway ,I thank you for the info and update,
Gary

gwpercle
08-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Hi All,

Good luck.

parkerdude

Parker, you can get them at Wally-Mart, if in a hurry, vacuum cleaner section, $2.49 for two belts and no shipping or waiting. I been using the first one for about 1.5 years now , still doing fine and still have the second for a back up.
Gary

300LW
08-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Yep, vacuum cleaner belts. Haven't had one break yet. Available at any hardware store.

Bayou52
08-22-2014, 03:26 PM
I tried a Eureka vacuum belt once. It was a bit fatter than the correct size Thumler's belt. Apparently, the vacuum belt fit too tight because the motor wouldn't turn at all - too much pressure on the motor shaft. Maybe I was using the wrong vacuum belt. As we know, there is no adjustment for belt tension on the Thumler's frame....

Bayou52

AZ Pete
02-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Well, after a couple of years, my Model B belt bit the dust while on its first run of SS pin tumbling. I bought the Home Depot o ring. It started slipping within a few minutes. i did find another substitute though. I have an '08 Tundra with 5.7 l engine. The oil filters from Toyota come with a new o ring. I keep one extra for grins. Just so happens it fits the Thumbler's Tumbler Model B. It's larger in cross section than the Home Depot o ring, and seems to be working for the time being. We'll see how it lasts. No risk since I get one every 5,000 miles, and the filter element with o ring is only $5.00

Bayou52
02-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Hi, AZ Pete-

Thanks for posting to this thread. I started this thread back in Nov. 2013 to inform Thumlers Model B users that I was having issues with factory belts breaking too frequently but that I came upon a good and much cheaper alternative. That was the ethylene-propylene o-ring described above in my previous posts in this thread.

By way of status, I am still using the very first o-ring that I started out with. It has lasted well over a year ar now, and it is still working like a champ. Well worth the 80 cents it cost. I'm not sure how many tumbling sessions I have on this o-ring but it is clearly in the multiple dozens. Compare this with the factory belts breaking after only a couple of sessions (at $5-$6 a pop, at that).

So, based on my personal experience, I can confidently endorse this o-ring for the Thumlers Model B application.

Hope this is informative....

Bayou52

AZ Pete
03-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Hey Bayou, I just got my order of "o" rings. Thanks for the tip.

Bayou52
03-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Hey Bayou, I just got my order of "o" rings. Thanks for the tip.

Hi, AZ Pete-

I hope you have as much luck as I've had with those o-rings. The very first one is still working like a champ - going on nearly 1 1/2 years of regular use.

Happy Tumbling-

Bayou52

BOONES
07-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Hello Bayou 52,
Are you still looking for a way to make your tumblers tumbler gear driven? I converted mine, more than happy with it.....
No more belts!!!!!!
That is the way to go!!
IT SURE RUNS GOOD NOW, NO BABY SITTING IT!

Bayou52
07-13-2017, 07:37 PM
^^^^^ Hi, Boones -

Since I started using o-rings in the place of belts for my Thumlers, it's been several years now, and I'm still using my very first o-ring. So, I think that problem has been solved.

I would love to see a pic of your gear conversion job, though. Can you post one?

Thanks, Boones -

Bayou52

William Yanda
07-14-2017, 07:00 AM
What department of Home Depot, I'm not familar with a filtration unit. I want something I can buy locally but home depot is a big place to wander around aimlessly looking for something I have no idea what it is or looks like. Do you have a home depot or manufacturer's product number ? would appreciate it.

Gary

Before you can find ANYTHING at HD you have to believe it is there.

W.R.Buchanan
07-18-2017, 05:58 PM
I thought I had replied to this thread earlier.

I saw this when it first came out and promptly,,,

Wrote the O-Ring Dimensions on the box of my Tumbler for future reference.

Might be a good idea huh?

Randy

Bayou52
07-18-2017, 07:29 PM
^^^^^ Outstanding idea, Randy!

Bayou52

BOONES
10-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Hello all!
Soon to come chain driven kit for model b!
5 TONS W/GUNS

BOONES
10-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Anybody interested please let us know!
Thank you for your time!
Blessing!

BOONES
10-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Working on patent!

Bayou52
10-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Anybody interested please let us know!
Thank you for your time!
Blessing!

I'm interested in checking it out. Any info would be appreciated -

Bayou52

SgtDog0311
03-15-2019, 05:57 AM
Old thread but helpful nonetheless. Mine just failed after three years and had a batch to tumble so I could get them in the mail. Belt didn't break, just got so stretched it wouldn't grab. I used a large rubber band to under the belt and darned if it didn't hold out.

Appreciate tips for new belt. Didn't mind the cost of Thumblers but danged if I'll double it on shipping.

gmsharps
03-15-2019, 07:49 AM
If you haven't found one yet send me a PM with shipping info and I'll send you one.

gmsharps

Bayou52
03-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Hi, Guys -

The first o-ring I started using about 5 years ago finally needed replacing. It didn't break but just loosened up enough not to grab the pulley well. For me, the o-rings outlasted the factory belts by a long shot.

Bayou52

lightman
03-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Many guys have used the correct size vacuum cleaner belt with good results. I used to get "O" rings from a hydraulic repair shop.

William Yanda
03-15-2019, 09:23 AM
I worked at HD, opened store #1239 a few years back. As I recall, the rule is: You have to believe something is there before you can find it. I was a Hardware Associate-we had half the SKU's in the store.

EDG
03-15-2019, 12:27 PM
I have read of the Thumbler's O ring issues in several forums for years.

I bought a Model A in about 1969 with a couple of spare belts.
I still have that tumbler and it still runs on the original belt. I lost the spares long ago.
I wonder why my belt has lasted so long?

salpal48
03-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Go on " the Oring Store . navigate the site
you Need a 70 Buna 3/16" size scroll down until you find your size . you can buy By the dozen.
sal

Bayou52
03-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Just FYI -

Here's the direct link to the o-ring substitutes I've used:

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_152&products_id=6511

Of course, there are others as well, as set forth in above posts....

Thanks, Bayou52

Bayou52
03-15-2019, 07:04 PM
"I wonder why my belt has lasted so long?"

That's a good question!

Bayou52

SgtDog0311
03-19-2019, 08:50 AM
EDG, me too; mine lasted... I'm thinking maybe 8 or 9 years now... so not bad and not complaining. Gonna try one more tumble with the added rubber band functioning a little like that flat band protecting tubes from the bike-spoke-end on our bicycle wheels.

Just one more please Mr T. Would like take bullets from two moulds down to a weekend shooting spree this weekend and no time to run around town. I promise I'll get you a new belt when I get back:-P

Morning coffee and indulgence over - get to work John!