PDA

View Full Version : Well it's Bubba time again.

Beekeeper
11-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Thought I would throw my final Bubba out there for you to see.
In a previous post I showed the Gahendra Martini/Mauser sporter I made and have shot it out to 855 yards.
In this post I wanted to show the final Gahendra Martini/Mauser.
This one I made trying to keep as much of the Gahendra lines as I was able.
For those who want to see what I started with go to IMAUSA and look for Gahendra parts rifles.

I had the action dye penetrant /Magnaflux tested to ensure that there were no hidden cracks.
All of the internal parts were rebuilt/made new.
The barrel is a 43 Mauser barrel with original Mauser sights
I spent almost a week with a file and a square filing the action to get the barrel to clock correctly
Since I was unable to get a Gahendra but plate I used one off of a 24/47 Mauser I had. Ground some off of both sides as the gahendra stock is thinner than the mauser. with the exception of the top hook being smaller they are the same.
All of the furniture I made myself using furniture grade Maple that had been in my garage attic for over a year.
I chemically treated the wood and heated it.When you put a coat of Linsead oil on it after heating it turns the brown color. The more you heat it the darker it will be.

There is 2 years of work ( sitting on my work bench) partly awaiting parts.
I waited and looked for a year to find the complete rear sight.

I have only shot it to prove my work and now that I have the rear sight will shoot for score.

Load
70 grains FFG Diamondback black powder
.439 diameter boolit paper patched to .449 , weight 440 grains
I use 45/90 brass sized and trimmed to 43 Mauser specs.
50/50 beeswax/olive oil grease cookie and 2 card wads made from playing cards.

This will be my final attempt at Bubbaizing a rifle or pistol. Just getting too old and do not have the patience for it any more and with wife needing more and more of my time I'm just too tired to try again

beekeeper

The Goose
11-23-2013, 11:12 PM
OK, this is just plain beyond cool!! Great job!

bigted
11-24-2013, 02:15 AM
very nice !!! ... :drinks:

Rojelio
11-24-2013, 12:33 PM
I like!:awesome:

jmort
11-24-2013, 12:40 PM
It is nice to see work that I could only dream of. Sweetness from stem to stern.

TXGunNut
11-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Once again, nicely done! Can only imagine the patience it took to see this project thru, congrats on finally getting her together.

Dan Cash
11-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Magnificent! You give me ideas for my Gahendra.

Bulldogger
11-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Nicely done!

Kermit1945
11-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Got to love a Martini! You know you won't quit--keep tweaking and enjoy. Thank you for the story and photos.

bigted
11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
if this is the last punch for the bubba files then you done it up rite. looks very nice and shows a craftsman worked it over. thanks for showing it and I also would like to hear how she performs on target/game.

Beekeeper
11-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Oh the anguish, and horror of it all.
Took it to the range and fired 22 paper patched to groove rounds through it.
Used a blow tube
Took 8 patches to get it completely clean.

At 100 yards I was spot on.
Getting the rest (200,300 400 465) wasn't so easy.
Had had rain and wet ground didn't help with finding where it (the boolit) hit

Have a couple of minor problems with the extractor and will solve them before I take it out again
All in all I am very satisfied with the overall performance.
By the way the Black Diamond powder when blowtubed was softer than the goex I used to use.
Power seemed about the same.
But that is just my take on it and I am far from being an expert.

beekeeper

swheeler
11-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Beekeeper very nice, you definately have a knack for this kind of thing!

Beekeeper
12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
On the advice of wife ( and myself) I have liberally coated it with grease ,Put it in a sock and installed it in the back of the safe where the kids can get it out and dispose of it after I croak.
Was a great project and a time consumer ( which I need a lot of) so I have no regrets. Oh Well onward and upward!

beekeeper

12-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I hope you sneak a peak at it from time to time. Sometimes a treasure, like the one you created, just needs to come out to the light of day once in awhile. I enjoyed your story, and I only got to look at the pictures!!

Bzcraig
12-08-2013, 12:23 PM
It is nice to see work that I could only dream of. Sweetness from stem to stern.

I wish I had his talent, knowledge and skill! Beautifully done

Buzzard II
12-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Beautiful rifle! I wish I had your knowledge and skill to pull this off!

CastingFool
12-12-2013, 11:29 PM
That is one good looking rifle!