PDA

View Full Version : Swaging using lead wire

Alvin
11-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Posted this in the casting section, but couldn't move it nd thought I would gt better responses here.

Had a question for everyone here who knows a lot more about casting and swagging then myself. Part of the last estate purchase I made it came with a CH swagging kit for a few calibers that looked to me was used with 3/8 lead wire that came with it. The wire cutter is big and bulky, but very well made. Is this an item used still, or has it gone away for the most part with more efficient casting? I tried making some bullets and they are shootable, just can't make them as well as I could casting. Maybe someone who does it can be of help. TIA.

BLASTER62
11-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Pictures?

Sasquatch-1
11-23-2013, 08:19 AM
How about some pictures of what you got. Also, you can check the CH4D site and see if they still list what you have. Were these the multi die set (101) or the single die set(105)?

There are also several good videos on You Tube using the CH4D swaging dies.

Cane_man
11-23-2013, 10:52 AM
does it look something like this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72806&d=1370520960

we had a little thread on this a while back:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201624-Lead-core-cutter

Alvin
11-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Here are some pictures for you guys to look over. I'm not sure if you can read the writing on the wire cutter but it reads M30 Wire cutter and I showed where I place the wire in to cutter. I think it may could be military because of the M30, but that's just a guess. I recieved two rolls of the 3/8 wire and the bullets I made are from the little cuts of wire. I also included a picture of something else I can't make any sense of what purpose it serves. Hopefully someone can shed some light on that for me. I'll look for the box and update you guys on the CH swaging model. Thanks for the help so far.

dbosman
11-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Herters M30 wire cutter.
I'm sorry I can't help with the other item.

Pressman
11-24-2013, 05:52 PM
The other item is the Herter's Micrometer case length gauge. A really well made tool for measuring case overall length. Unfortunately you are missing all three of the mandrels necessary to make it work. They are an exact length with a machined square end, not easy to make.
The longest mandrel is the one used to zero the tool thus the two shorter mandrels have to be right on for length.

Ken