PDA

View Full Version : Long term primmer storage.

Dave C.
11-22-2013, 10:34 PM
I know to store primmers in the original packing. But what is the best way to store the factory packed boxes of primmers? What I am looking for is long term storage. As in years.

Dave C.

762 shooter
11-22-2013, 10:39 PM
I have some Win LR and SR that have been in a metal ammo can since 1982 and still fire first time every time.

You talking longer than 31 years?

alleyoop
11-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Have some stored in an old fridge since mid 80's still work fine.

dragon813gt
11-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Same solution as ammo, an ammo can.

lylejb
11-22-2013, 11:48 PM
I have some win LR and SP that have been stored , in the original cartons, setting on a shelf in the bedroom.......since 1993.......they're fine.

Artful
11-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Big trick to storing chemical components - keep it cool (don't let temp's fluctuate), dry, and away from fresh air and other chemicals.
Some of my primers are from the 80's and still sure fire.

Bullshop Junior
11-23-2013, 01:07 AM
We always stored all of ours in metal ammo cana out in the garage. Never a problem.

Artful
11-23-2013, 02:18 AM
Garage in Arizona can reach temps into the 130's - not a good place for ammo, powder or primers. If you do store in hostile environments like Arizona Garages I suggest putting in insulated coolers to keep the temperature fluctuations to lowest level possible.

farmerjim
11-23-2013, 08:25 AM
I have thousands from the 1960s. Stored in a Louisiana house attic. 150 degrees during the summer days, 99 percent humidity at night. Some of the boxes even have some water stains on them from when they were moved to the garage for a couple of years. Out of several thousand of these that I have used, I have not had a single misfire. This said, I do not recommend storing primers this way.

Larry Gibson
11-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Garage in Arizona can reach temps into the 130's - not a good place for ammo, powder or primers. If you do store in hostile environments like Arizona Garages I suggest putting in insulated coolers to keep the temperature fluctuations to lowest level possible.

+1 on that!!!!

Never had a potential problem before as I sored powder/primers out in cooler garages. Now in Arizona and my garage is not AC'd (yet) so it gets pretty warm in the summer. I got a good used fridge with no freezer and store powder/primers in it. At the lowest setting (highest temp) it keeps it right at 48 degrees. Not so concerned about the primers as the powder. If you've ever had some pulled flake Nobel milsurp powder go bad and the vapors seep everywhere and rust any metal..........you know what I mean. Fridge is working very well so far.

Larry Gibson

Garyshome
11-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Ammo can where ever you can store them.

bhn22
11-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Clean, cool, and dry. Mine are stored in the house for climate control in (a lot of) ammo cans, and most date back to the early '90s.

DRNurse1
11-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi Dave:

Just loaded the last of my 1990's era LPP. They still ignite my powder charges consistently after travelling up and down the East coast in 20MM ammo cans through all sorts of temperature and humidity combinations.

MY FiL gave me that storage tip and he has LPP's from the 1980's, '90's and 2000's stored this way that came through that little blow called Sandy without apparent problem. Original MFG packaging for the 5000/case lots and 50-60K per 20MM can worked for him. They floated in his cellar for several days then he dried out the cans opened them and tested about 100 from each case lot. No water damage to the cardboard cartons inside the ammo cans evident and his test lots fired 100%.

I do not recommend floating your primers, powder, brass, or ammo in salt water, but if you are prepared and it happens your investment will not be totally lost.

I think there is a thread in here about SHTF-type storage but I do not take you question in that vein.

Artful
11-23-2013, 05:32 PM
One word of caution about filling large ammo can's with primers, they are explosive and if you put too many together and have a house fire you've made a nasty bomb. Better several smaller containers than one large one.

6bg6ga
11-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Mine are stored in an old coffee can

Dave C.
11-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I worry about what would happen in a fire. While I want to keep the prmmers in good shape safety is more important! I acquired them at the price marked on the boxes from an estate.

Dave C.

joehaberxxx
11-23-2013, 09:09 PM
I have Winchester primers that must go back to the late sixties. They are in wooden trays with slots if anyone can remember those. They have been stored in a basement for years with no container other than a cardboard box and I try to keep them cool. Every once in awhile I will load up some (they are large rifle) and shoot them to see if they work and if the group size changes. They function without a misfire so far and there is no change in my zero or group size. However I don't use them for hunting because I don't trust them. My present primers are also Winchester

labradigger1
11-23-2013, 09:41 PM
I have many Old primers, some rws lp's from the 50's and 60's, old western, old winchester in the wooden trays and a LOT of cci's. They have been stored by me in origonal containers in my climate controlled reloading room. Most of the older ones were bought @ a yard sale from a retired police officer from kali, not sure how he stored them. Came from him in an old wooden phonograph case.
I have loaded probably 5-6k rounds from these and not a single misfire. Primers keep well, imho about the only way to kill them is to fire them or soak them in penetrating oil. Powder however is another story. Lab

DRNurse1
11-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Dave:

Short version: I use the root-cellar style cave in my basement near my gun room.

@Artful: I agree with your assessment and I think my situation mitigates the risk. If heat reaches my storage area, any explosive force will be directed upward and outside the foundation of my home. I created a compartment and use a berm technique that should direct any explosive force up and out. The 'closet' has a steel door with a right angle access to a depression where I store the 20mm ammo cans.

Longer version:Dave: if you try this style up here, remember to create a drain for any moisture. I put a concrete pad about 16 inches below the door and angled away from the foundation to create a drain effect. I am up an a slate hill and I basically created a dry sump to collect any drainage and placed the whole thing above my watertable. My foundation is the vertical wall and any 'explosive' force should be directed upward by the concrete pad and outward by the foundation. The size of the 'closet' is about 4 x 4 x 4 feet and holds 4 20mm ammo cans below the level of the door.

The 'closet remains cool and basically moisture free year around--no winter freeze and cool in the summer--so I think my primers are pretty safe. I have a steel cabinet inside with a protected vent for my powder.

CastingFool
11-23-2013, 09:58 PM
this may be a little out of context, but I have some no.11 caps that must be 35 yrs old, maybe older and they still work. By comparison, I picked some up in a trade about 7 yrs ago, and I have had misfires with those. They are nowhere nearly as old as the other ones I have, but perhaps, they were not stored properly.

medalguy
11-23-2013, 11:21 PM
I've also had primers for 30+ years and they all work fine. Modern primers are really pretty much indestructible. I keep mine stored in the original boxes sitting on a shelf, separate from any powder.

BTW SAAMI says do NOT store primers in anything except the original containers. Metal cans really do create the possibility of an explosion as a result of a lot of conditions. I would warn anyone reading this NOT to store primers in metal or glass containers. Check out the info here: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf

jdgabbard
12-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Cardboard box on top of my reloading bench. Some primers have been in that box for about 10 years. Never had any problems except with a bad batch of CCIs, and those were no good from the moment I bought them.

merlin101
12-07-2013, 01:35 AM
I have some old primers that still work. I have 4 boxes of Remington #8&1/2 "Nickeled Primer" it also says "non-mercuric for high pressure smokeless rifle cartridges" ' I also have some Frankford Arsenal "Cartridge, Cal. .30" primers I'm guessing WWII vintage and they still go bang.

cwheel
12-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I wonder if it would be better to pull the boxes of primers out of the cardboard boxes and store in a GI ammo can or to leave them in the boxes of 5000 ??? Still in the boxes now and for the last 5 years, no problems so far in this dry country, but we do have some heat here in the summer. Think they need to be moved into the can ??
Chris

Artful
12-08-2013, 12:26 AM
I wonder if it would be better to pull the boxes of primers out of the cardboard boxes and store in a GI ammo can or to leave them in the boxes of 5000 ??? Still in the boxes now and for the last 5 years, no problems so far in this dry country, but we do have some heat here in the summer. Think they need to be moved into the can ??
Chris

GI can is for vapor/water protection - doesn't do much for heat and makes a sealed container with explosive compound inside (think pipe bomb) - I'd find either an insulated cooler or old refrigerator and store them inside that to mitigate thermal heat cycling.

waco
12-08-2013, 08:10 PM
I have primers that were bought in the late 80's early 90's sitting on the self out in the garage their whole life. They work just fine.

FLHTC
12-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I've got some from the 1950's and they still go bang. Los Angeles Revolver Club primers, RWS wooden trays, Federal plain cardboard in wooden trays, Remington dogbone in wooden trays, etc.

Buckshot
12-09-2013, 03:36 AM
...........Excessive heat is the largest problem with long term storage for both primers and smokless powder.

http://www.fototime.com/F0A8AA16719CB5B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/6F0494922BE770D/standard.jpg

I had 5K of these 'Western' primers and have fired over 2K of them over the years and do not recall a single problem. Also several years ago someone discarded in my direction 4 tins of 'UMC' #11 percussion caps, and not Remington - UMC. I don't know when Remington took over UMC, but these were made before that time. I sacrificed one tin via shooting and they all worked like a charm. In fact not only did they all work well, they also LOOKED a lot better then new made caps, but that's beside the point :-).

..............Buckshot

Blue2
12-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Primers are I believe exceptionally durable. I was given a bunch that had been under water in a storage safe for a week because of a rising river. Totally soaked. The cardboard sleeves were just like toilet paper. I dumped them out on a concrete surface to dry in the sun. After they were dry I swept them up and put them in bulk into small cardboard boxes. We are talking about 30,000 primers . They have all worked fine for plinking. I would not load for a target shoot with them but minute of squirrel loads for sure. While they were drying my dog ran by and swept some out into my gravel driveway. A couple of weeks later and after a few rain storms I happened to be cutting some steel with my chop saw which I had positioned to throw the sparks out into the driveway and the primers which I had lost into the gravel started cracking off. I never expected them to be able to take so much abuse and still go bang!

fastfire
12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I believe the primer compound is wet when put in the primer cups during manufacturing.

Reload3006
12-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I had a water line break over my storage shelves and had over 5k of 209s soaked. I was a little upset. I set them out and allowed them to dry. They are ugly as sin now but I have not had even one fail to fire. I also have several very old primers from the 1950s I believe and they have all went bang. I think as has been said keep them cool and out of direct sunlight they should go bang for you.