PDA

View Full Version : Lee .30 Carbine Factory Crimp Die Question

Ed in North Texas
11-22-2013, 10:05 PM
I ordered a Lee Factory Crimp Die for .30 Carbine (Lee # 90421 labeled 30 M1). This was going to be my first FCD as I had taper crimp dies for years before Lee came out with this type of die. Problem is my loaded .30 Carbine ammo almost goes completely through the die (tip of the boolit is maybe 1/4 to 3/8ths below the top of the die). I see factory illustrations which show the end of a jacketed bullet extending past the die body, with crimp fingers (whatever Lee calls them) at the top of the die. There is no way that will happen with this die. The die is about 1 1/2 times as long as the .30 Carbine loaded ammo (115 grain boolit sized .309, new LC USGI pull down cases). The crimp "insert" has maybe >1/8 inch sticking out below the die. I can read Lee 30 M1 using a magnifier, have to pull on the insert to get the letters to show enough to read.

It can't be that this is for the M1 Garand - that's just plain old .30-06. So do I have a factory goof, or am I missing something about how to work this. I sure don't need a crimp about 1/3 to 1/2 inch above the extractor groove.

Garyshome
11-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Sounds like somebody at lee made a mistake! Contact customer service quickly.

Ed in North Texas
11-22-2013, 11:38 PM
My inexperience with the Lee FCD, and prior experience with standard taper crimp dies, resulted in an error. When I put it into the press, instead of putting the round in the die off the press, it appears to work correctly. A standard taper crimp die would have stopped it at the right place, even off the press. A day I don't learn something is a wasted day - and I didn't waste today.

Thanks for the help anyway.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Ed,

Use a light crimp. A little goes a long way with those Lee rifle factory crimp dies. And yes, I use the one for .30 carbine.

zomby woof
11-28-2013, 11:30 AM
I set mine to remove the neck expansion. I check the collet spacing when the ram is at the top of the stroke. You can see the spacing from the top on the die. I don't like them touching, it puts too much crimp on the brass. Set the die and measure the mouth of the brass to make sure you've removed all the flare.

medalguy
12-01-2013, 10:31 PM
^^^^ Correct. Just remove the case neck expansion, no more. Remember the .30 carbine round headspaces on the case mouth. Also remember to watch the case length.

Reg
12-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Get a bit heavy with the settings and you can actually reduce the bullet dia. !!

Larry Gibson
12-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Ed

"I see factory illustrations which show the end of a jacketed bullet extending past the die body, with crimp fingers (whatever Lee calls them) at the top of the die. There is no way that will happen with this die. The die is about 1 1/2 times as long as the .30 Carbine loaded ammo (115 grain boolit sized .309, new LC USGI pull down cases). The crimp "insert" has maybe >1/8 inch sticking out below the die. I can read Lee 30 M1 using a magnifier, have to pull on the insert to get the letters to show enough to read."

If you haven't figured it out yet the collet FCD is different than handgun cartridge FCDs.

The die is screwed into the press so the "insert" is pressed up into the die body by the shell holder. That closes the "crimp fingers" crimping the case mouth. Slowly screw the die body in until you get the correct crimp you want. I have used the Lee FCD to just close the case mouth on thousands of 30 Carbine rounds with complete success.

Larry Gibson