PDA

View Full Version : cotton ball as filler ?

johnme
11-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Today I reloaded -5 rounds of 45-70 fired win. brass with 2400 powder. For my Marlin GG. Testing a med. load for range use. used 24 grs. and read about fillers or not to use fillers. Read about using 1/2 a cotton ball, so I tore one in half gave it a roll with my two fingers and slid it down just fine, set the 405 cast bullet and all seemed well and good. went back reading more on the filler ? and now I think maybe my filler maybe to tight when I set the bullet ? I know if to loose powder can mix all over and poor ignition. But to tight ? higher pressure ? over pressured ? I need your help to ease my mind or start over. Thanks !

Larry Gibson
11-22-2013, 09:50 PM
All goes well with cotton as a filler until the dry grass months. Have a decent pair of boots on to stomp out the fires......been there, done that.......

bangerjim
11-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Larry is right on!

Cotton can start fires. Dacron fluff is "flame retardant" and will not burn easily.

A HUGE bag of Dacron stuffing at WalFart is about $4.........don't scrimp!

banger

johnme
11-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info. about the Dacron being hard to burn. I believe don't scrimp meaning, fill enough so powder wont move from the primer area? I would think vertical drops on target could play in not having consistent powder burn. My gun range that I belong to, we shoot over a wet lands area. Some years It is very dry. Don't need to the place on fire [smilie=b:

bangerjim
11-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the info. about the Dacron being hard to burn. I believe don't scrimp meaning, fill enough so powder wont move from the primer area? I would think vertical drops on target could play in not having consistent powder burn. My gun range that I belong to, we shoot over a wet lands area. Some years It is very dry. Don't need to the place on fire [smilie=b:

Don't scrimp means buy the Dacron and throw away the cotton from pill bottles.

Do a search on here for fillers. There are VERY good guidelines on the size of hunks of wadding to use, with proof of performance.

Have fun on that range!

banger

johnme
11-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Asked my Wife about the Dacron and she found me a 1' x 3' 1' thick, in her sewing room, easy to cut in squares ! Thanks Banger !

bangerjim
11-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Puuuuuuuurfect! That is exactly what I use!

banger