PDA

View Full Version : Those who rely only on spell check ...

Wayne Smith
11-22-2013, 08:31 PM
... are destined to become the laughing stock of the rest of us. Our son Kyle, who has his MDiv and teaches online at two Universities, posted that one of his students stated that: "In the Book of Collisions...". I guess we really have to forgive undergraduates!

Check him out on Amazon, but you have to search for "Tobias Mastgrave". I have to admit a modicum of prejudice but, as a reader, I also have to say that he writes very well.

Epd230
11-22-2013, 11:22 PM
They're reely is know excuse four miss-spellin.

Rick N Bama
11-29-2013, 10:48 AM
They're reely is know excuse four miss-spellin.

Your rite

missionary5155
11-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Good morning
But when push comes to shove I hope the neighbors close by are more mechanics and planters than linguistics. And may they all be looking up for His Glorious return.
Mike in Peru

RED333
11-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Good morning
But when push comes to shove I hope the neighbors close by are more mechanics and planters than linguistics. And may they all be looking up for His Glorious return.
Mike in Peru
Kind of the way I feel, I have a hard time spelling, never had a worry about how to fish, hunt,
or grow food. God Bless

WILCO
11-30-2013, 08:25 AM
"In the Book of Collisions."

Must be a book about female drivers.

CastingFool
11-30-2013, 08:38 AM
That's funny, Book of Collisions. The thing about spell checkers is that they do not correct for context, they just check that a particular word is spelled out correctly.

4719dave
11-30-2013, 09:13 AM
So true ,Funny thing is all these kids theses day cant ever turn a screw driver either..so sad
Kind of the way I feel, I have a hard time spelling, never had a worry about how to fish, hunt,
or grow food. God Bless

MBTcustom
11-30-2013, 09:20 AM
I write fairly well, but my spelling is atrocious. I rely heavily on spellcheck, but like you say, sometimes it misses it. I try to catch all the mistakes, but there are quite a few that slip through the cracks. I think your brain just has to be wired a certain way to be good at spelling, and mine never has. I just can't seem to get it, and I still miss quite a few words.
This used to bother me, and I would go back and retype every word I missed and try to remember it, but when I get on a role, I'm just thinking about the content, and spelling goes out the window.
Anymore, when I write (even if it's a post here) I just put my thoughts down and then go back and edit.
So if bad spelling amuses you, you should read a few of my posts, you should find plenty to laugh at.
I guess the reasoning behind the way things are spelled is just not compatible with the way my mind works. I wish I could change, but I'm just not ever going to be really good at spelling.
Yes, it bothers me. No, I can't seem to do anything about it.
I guess I'm just stupid.......aren't I.

alrighty
11-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Good morning
Mike in Peru
Well said sir , may God bless us all.

Hogdaddy
11-30-2013, 10:14 AM
So true ,Funny thing is all these kids theses day cant ever turn a screw driver either..so sad

^^^^^TRUE^^^^^^^^^
A 22 year old man (nieghbor) could'nt even jump start his tractor,,but I bet he could tex up a storm ; )
H/D

Wayne Smith
11-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I write fairly well, but my spelling is atrocious. I rely heavily on spellcheck, but like you say, sometimes it misses it. I try to catch all the mistakes, but there are quite a few that slip through the cracks. I think your brain just has to be wired a certain way to be good at spelling, and mine never has. I just can't seem to get it, and I still miss quite a few words.
This used to bother me, and I would go back and retype every word I missed and try to remember it, but when I get on a role, I'm just thinking about the content, and spelling goes out the window.
Anymore, when I write (even if it's a post here) I just put my thoughts down and then go back and edit.
So if bad spelling amuses you, you should read a few of my posts, you should find plenty to laugh at.
I guess the reasoning behind the way things are spelled is just not compatible with the way my mind works. I wish I could change, but I'm just not ever going to be really good at spelling.
Yes, it bothers me. No, I can't seem to do anything about it.
I guess I'm just stupid.......aren't I.

Tim, I came to the conclusion in graduate school that spelling is genetic, either you have it or you don't. I don't! That may be a convenient excuse or the truth, I don't know. At least my vocabulary is still large enough that I recognize a word out of context and do not trust autocorrect. Since these mistakes all come from college students I fault the secondary education system and the failed attempt to teach by encouragement rather than distinguishing right from wrong.

Bzcraig
11-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Must be a book about female drivers.

Dadgumit! Screen cleaner!