PDA

View Full Version : Trail boss duplex loads?

A pause for the COZ
11-22-2013, 12:44 PM
This question is actually WAY above my pay grade. But that does not mean I dont think about stuff.
I was thinking about Trail Boss and how amazing it is for accurately slinging some cast bullets out of rifles.
The only problem it has is velocity.
But thats not a insignificant issue. I only really use Trail boss when I cant find a better load that gives more velocity.
Better does not mean more accurate. Trail boss puts more different bullets closer together than just about any powder I have tried. Its just pushes them way too slow!!!

Has any one else thought about a slower powder at the top of the powder column to generate some more gas?
Like I said, above my pay grade, but some of you are smarter and braver than me.

Doc_Stihl
11-22-2013, 12:58 PM
NO!
In order to use ANY duplex load it must not move or shift. In order to make it not move, you have to compress it. COMPRESSING TRAILBOSS is a VERY bad idea.
Trai Boss's problem doesn't have a problem with velocity. Trailboss has a victory with it's velocity.

A pause for the COZ
11-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks Doc.
Thats why i said above my pay grade.

osteodoc08
11-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Have you considered unique (by its self of course)?

A pause for the COZ
11-22-2013, 02:24 PM
yes I have and do use it. I have loads I use across most powders.
I was just wishing out loud.
I wish I had a powder that was as accurate across all the bullets I have tried but gave me 200 fps more velocity.
I bet IMR could reformulate this amazing powder to slow it down just a bit. Maybe not.

Larry Gibson
11-22-2013, 02:28 PM
What cartridges are you "wishing out loud" about?

Larry Gibson

A pause for the COZ
11-22-2013, 03:33 PM
5.56mm, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, 303 brit, 308 win,30-30, 32 win special, 7mm-08, 8mm Mauser.
Not saying I dont have loads for these. I do.
just non as accurate as a Trail Boss load. Ok maybe the 30-30. i have a whole lot of time getting that to shoot.

Funny thing i found. If you want to see how well a SKS can shoot. Load a few cast loads ahead of trail Boss.
of course it wont operate the action and you have to factor in the extreme hold over at 100 yards.
You would be surprised how tight the groups are with out trying anything special.