PDA

View Full Version : savage .270 and my 14 year olds son seventh deer.

johnson1942
11-21-2013, 11:33 PM
years ago i bought a savage stainless steel .270 mountain rifle. i had a old 9 power weaver scope that i had regassed with new seals put in it. i put in a new trigger and put a rubber vibration reducer on the barrel. i also recrowned the crown to 79 1/2 degrees. shot a lot of 90 grain bullets i hand loaded for it with very tight 300 yard groups. when my youngest son turned 11 i gave it to him. he got his first buck that year at 90 yards. 2 years ago he got a 9 x 6 which should have been a 9 x 8 as two tines or spikes?, were knocked off. last year he got a 5 x 5 buck and 2 days ago he got a 4 x 4 buck.since he was 11 years old he has taken 7 nice deer. the gun never fails to drop them and looks like the day i bought it. my son is a very good shot and never takes long to line up. he used 90 grain bullets the first 3 years as he was small for the recoil. now he uses 150 grain bullets and even at 84 lbs he can handle it. his older brother has the very same gun but with a diff. scope. as a gift once i cryo treated his brothers barrel, mine isnt cryo treated. after i had his brothers barrel cryo treated i chronographed both our guns with the same handloaded ammo, with 90 grain bullets. the cryo treated gun got consistantly 150 ft per sec faster with the same ammo. ive never cryo treat my youngest sons because it shoots so good and im too lazy to take it apart and put back together. my youngest son want to go to college to become a game warden and i feel he has a good start with being very good in the rural outdoors.

pressonregardless
11-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Great story Johnson, sounds like you have a couple of fine boys.

You gotta' add some pictures or some here will think it never happened !!

johnson1942
11-22-2013, 07:19 PM
thanks for the reply, when your raised in the rural west like my son is the standard is pretty high. the only comments his class mates who most of them got deer also said, kind of small isnt it. if you want to see a picture of him go to pineridgeblackpowder.com and their he is. he also has a older brother who is a sergeant in law inforcement and is really good with his kimber .45. i taught my boys to shoot, to go to church and dont be afraid to pray and to show up for work. it seems to be sticking. ones a cop, ones a minister and the young one want to be a gamewarden.all three are careers that serve the people and are fun to do. again thanks for the reply.p.s. im a retired registered nurse.

runfiverun
11-22-2013, 08:32 PM
it's hard to mess with a successful rifle.
I gave littlegirl a tang safety ruger to hunt with a few years back and it started shooting pretty poorly.
[I really think she wanted to keep using the argie I built for her when she was about 9]
I even have a barrel at the gunsmiths I was gonna get put on after this deer season.
she decided to clean the thing and put a little load development effort out.
she sent me several pic's of the suddenly much smaller groups and now doesn't want anything changed. [shrug]
as long as they are comfortable with the rifle no need to be fixin it.