PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs 30-150-fn

sundog
08-27-2005, 07:58 AM
Does anyone have this mould? And would you gift, say, a hunert boolits (plain vanilla - no GC, sizing, or lube) for testing, so I can decide whether to acquire a copy of the mould. Kind of a test drive. I pay the freight. Send me a PM if you can help. Thanks.

Does anyone have a copy of this mould they would part with?

Or a SAECO #316? sundog

beagle
08-27-2005, 10:10 AM
sundog....You got it. Let me cast some this week and I'll get them out to you.

I had the #316 Saeco and they both shoot well in the .30-30. The Saeco tended to run a bit smaller than the RCBS.

The best of both worlds in the .30/30 is a 30-150-FN and a 30-180-FN. Both are designed for proper crimping in the .30/30 and that big 180 (which actually runs 190 something) really retains the velocity down range.

Of course, the RCBS moulds cast great too which don't hurt a thing.

As per normal, I've HP'd both moulds and I'm happy as heck with them as a .30/30 solution all around./beagle

bdoyle
08-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Sundog,
I have some that I cast a few years back that didn't work well in my marlin. I used a local hard cast alloy and added some tin. They are .310 dia with a .2995 nose. I had them on the stack for 'reconstitution' so if you want them holler and we can save beagle some time.

I also have the 30-180-FN and was kind of disapointed. They were dropping at barely .309 and while the weight was there(I like heavy for cal bullets) I couldn't get much performance. My vintage '67 marlin wants to see a .312 and then it is very happy.
ps - I did recently get the 180 to shoot in my marlin. I drop tubed a case full of surplus 4831 and used the 180. Not much on the velocity but made me happy.

Brian

Brian

w30wcf
08-27-2005, 02:54 PM
bdoyle,

If you would try a capacity load (36grs.) of slow burning H414 or W760 you might find that might work as well as 4831 and will produce 2,000 f.p.s. under the 190 gr. RCBS bullet in the .30-30.

w30wcf

sundog
09-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Beagle and Brian very graciously gifted me some of their boolits. Fine casting job fellers - y'all are almost as good as me.... HAR! Seriously, really nice boolits, and thanks. Performance in the 12 twist .308 with 31, 33, and 35 2230-C and dacron was not worth persuing. BUT, 4227 was just dandy. Will 'spearmint' some more with that and some in the turdy-turdy and report back. Thanks again, fellers. Looks like maybe this mould will be on my Christmas list. Mrs. Sundog is constantly berating me that she never has anything to get me -- huh? Well, I'll give'er a chance. What a gal!

Here's another range report - Charger will appreciate this. Same rifle as above, 700 VS LH in .308 using one of his favorites, the 308-165-SIL, group buy GCs, FWFL, scaled alike, and loaded over 24.0/N120. OAL was set to allow the boolit to barely engrave. Brass was necked sized, several times fired, mixed military. First shot out a cold, clean and Hoppe's #9 oiled bbl was a little high and right from the bull. The following 14 shots with exception of one I pulled left went into a hole a little lower than than the first shot that I could almost fit the end of my pinky in to. This at 50 yards. Just a ragged hole that a quarter would not fit through. Not bad. I'll certainly play around with that load some more at a hunert and 200. sundog

beagle
09-08-2005, 03:06 PM
sundog...try about 16-17.0 graiins of WC820 under the 30-150-FN. Shoots great out of my M94 Legacy when they're sized to .310"./beagle

Beagle and Brian very graciously gifted me some of their boolits. Fine casting job fellers - y'all are almost as good as me.... HAR! Seriously, really nice boolits, and thanks. Performance in the 12 twist .308 with 31, 33, and 35 2230-C and dacron was not worth persuing. BUT, 4227 was just dandy. Will 'spearmint' some more with that and some in the turdy-turdy and report back. Thanks again, fellers. Looks like maybe this mould will be on my Christmas list. Mrs. Sundog is constantly berating me that she never has anything to get me -- huh? Well, I'll give'er a chance. What a gal!

Here's another range report - Charger will appreciate this. Same rifle as above, 700 VS LH in .308 using one of his favorites, the 308-165-SIL, group buy GCs, FWFL, scaled alike, and loaded over 24.0/N120. OAL was set to allow the boolit to barely engrave. Brass was necked sized, several times fired, mixed military. First shot out a cold, clean and Hoppe's #9 oiled bbl was a little high and right from the bull. The following 14 shots with exception of one I pulled left went into a hole a little lower than than the first shot that I could almost fit the end of my pinky in to. This at 50 yards. Just a ragged hole that a quarter would not fit through. Not bad. I'll certainly play around with that load some more at a hunert and 200. sundog

sundog
09-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Roger that, Sergeant Major! Barrel is cooling as we speak. H108 jumped into my hand before I found a jug of 820 (samo-samo) so I used it - 17.0. WELL UNDER minute of Bambi at 50 yards from a 60 year old Win 94 with Lyman tang. That was just WAY TOO EASY!

Christmas list is started... Item 1 - RCBS 30-150-FN. Item 2 - Top Punch for same. (Seems like I don't have one -- not that it's a problem...). Have I EVER mentioned anything about liking RCBS moulds? sundog