PDA

View Full Version : counting a chicken before it is hatched

bikerbeans
11-21-2013, 08:25 PM
With a lot of help from a very good friend (anybody with a metal lathe and end mill that I can borrow qualifies as a very good friend) I have been able to make a few wildcat single shot rifles and a fully rifled 410 slug gun. Well in the interest of building a gun for which there is no demand, we are currently building a fully rifled 24ga slug gun. I was going to wait till we had test fired it before posting but I just received my 24ga components via FedEx and the excitement is building. Rather than describing the build, I will post pics when we finish it next month (deer gun season takes precedent over a gun build). The actual work is fairly simple, whether or not it will be accurate is the big unknown.

BB

mikeym1a
11-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Tease!!!!! :grin:

bikerbeans
11-22-2013, 01:34 PM
A little bit closer, I now have five loaded slugs. 365g HB COWW slugs over H110.

BB

44magLeo
11-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Those guns might be a cool project, but here in NYS they couldn't be used for hunting. Well not big game anyway. A shotgun has to be at least a twenty gauge. It can have a rifled barrel or choke tube. They also have to use a paper or plastic hull. No brass hulls.
Leo

bikerbeans
11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Those guns might be a cool project, but here in NYS they couldn't be used for hunting. Well not big game anyway. A shotgun has to be at least a twenty gauge. It can have a rifled barrel or choke tube. They also have to use a paper or plastic hull. No brass hulls.
Leo

Leo,

A 24ga shotgun would be legal in Ohio for whitetail. Per the book;

no larger than 10ga or smaller than .410 bore. Single projectile per barrel. All brass hulls and bottlenecked cases are illegal. But you can hunt small game in Ohio with a CF rifle, any caliber! If I still ate squirrels I might just be tempted to take a couple with my 416 Rigby.:shock:

BB

6pt-sika
11-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Leo,

A 24ga shotgun would be legal in Ohio for whitetail. Per the book;

no larger than 10ga or smaller than .410 bore. Single projectile per barrel. All brass hulls and bottlenecked cases are illegal. But you can hunt small game in Ohio with a CF rifle, any caliber! If I still ate squirrels I might just be tempted to take a couple with my 416 Rigby.:shock:

BB

I popped a deer with my old custom barreled Interarms Mark X Whitworth I rebarreled to 416 Rem Mag . Shot a rather wide 6 pointer off the back of a doe in 2004 I believe .

And I happen to have my present 416 Rem Mag a Ruger #1H sitting by the front door to kill one with this season :drinks:

bikerbeans
11-26-2013, 07:27 AM
6pt,

I lent my CZ550 416 Rigby to a friend to take out to Wyoming for this year's antelope season. Looking at the wound on the speed goat he shot (barnes 300g TSX @ 2,850 fps MV) I think there is a different between dead and really dead. :mrgreen:

BB

Tackleberry41
11-26-2013, 09:51 AM
How do they arrive at some of these rules, why would a brass shotgun shell not be allowed? I presume as somebody might try to skirt the rules and try to fire some sort of regular rifle round out of one, say its a shotgun.

dverna
11-30-2013, 01:01 AM
If you use a .416 for antelope, what do you use on a grizzly? ------ 20mm cannon?

Don Verna

6pt-sika
11-30-2013, 06:54 PM
6pt,

I lent my CZ550 416 Rigby to a friend to take out to Wyoming for this year's antelope season. Looking at the wound on the speed goat he shot (barnes 300g TSX @ 2,850 fps MV) I think there is a different between dead and really dead. :mrgreen:

BB My gunsmith buddy is a CZ guy . He has 550's in 375 H&H Mag , 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs . All three are pretty nice and shoot my hand loads quite well .