PDA

View Full Version : New Marlin 336Y a deal?

TCStehle
11-21-2013, 04:19 PM
I have a chance to buy a new but old stock Remlin 336Y. It's the older blued version with non-laminated stock, fat pistol grip. Front sight appears to be leaning to the right so something is wrong there. I can get it for about $330 out the door. Worth it or should I pass?

nekshot
11-21-2013, 04:22 PM
If I was looking for one it would follow me home. I like challenges.

rintinglen
11-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Right on the ragged edge. If the sight is straight and not bent, then the barrel is on crooked. That I'd pass on, The strain put on the barrel by the stock and the magazine tube attachment points might cause severe accuracy problems due to uneven expansion while shooting. If the sight blade was merely bent, though, I'd certainly give it a good once over--that price is about 100 bucks lower than what you'd pay in these parts and if nothing else came to light, I'd buy it. A new front sight blade is relatively cheap, 20 bucks or less.

Scharfschuetze
11-21-2013, 09:55 PM
About a month ago another member posted about poorly indexed barrels on some of the early Remlins. I don't recall the title of the thread, but a few other members chimed in about that issue so it seems your potential rifle may be one of those early production 336 rifles from Remington/Marlin.

I think that if the barrel truly is out of kilter, I'd pass on it. Life presents enough problems without buying into a new one.

brassrat
11-25-2013, 02:01 AM
I would def pass also. I do like my later, ct. made, one thou. Easy to find a good 30/30.

TCStehle
11-25-2013, 03:03 AM
I decided to pass on the 336Y. I definitely don't need to buy a headache. Think I'll shop around and try to find a decent deal on a JM Marlin in 30-30. Thanks everyone for your advice.

HiVelocity
12-03-2013, 12:43 AM
I would have jumped on that rifle. For less than $75 you could put a small variable power scope on it and forget the front sight issue. AND, at the prices for used 336's, it would still be a steal. Go back and buy it. Lol!

HV

FergusonTO35
12-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Many Remlins I've examined had canted sights. Don't know if that necessarily causes problems since 99% of purchasers will never fire a round aimed with sights. I have read reports here that Remlin fixes them fast with no hassle so if the price was low enough it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.