PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Report with my 124-year old 44-40

KirkD
11-21-2013, 11:16 AM
For me, Deer hunting has to be done with a vintage Winchester. It is the feel of history in my hands, old cartridges, and using guns that the homesteaders used. This year, I decided to use my original Winchester Model 1873 chambered in what was originally called the 44 W.C.F., but eventually become known as the 44-40. The Cody records show that this rifle was shipped from the Winchester warehouse in 1889. It is in pretty nice condition with at least 85% of the original finish, and the bore is near mint. Before taking it hunting, I gave it a heavy coat of Conservator’s Wax, and then took the can with me to give it more coats as the need arose.

I had cast my own bullets out of clip on wheel weights to get a 200 grain gas checked bullet using a brass mould from Accurate Moulds. Seated over 18 grains of 5744 the muzzle velocity was 1,280 fps, plus or minus depending upon the temperature, which was ranging between freezing to several degrees below freezing with occasional snow flurries. Here is a photo I took of the old ’73 on the second day of hunting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/73-on-fence_zpsaa9be2d2.jpg

The second day, near dusk, I saw a nice doe slide like a ghost into view about 85 yards away. I could only see the top half of her body, so took careful aim for a lung shot and pulled the trigger. The doe took off and I went over to take a look. Not the faintest trace of blood, but I tracked her until it was too dark to see anything. The following morning I checked the setting on my tang sight and saw to my dismay that it was set to 150 yards! The bullet would have cleared the doe’s back by a few inches, so I went back and sighted down the flight path of the bullet to determine where it should have gone if it passed just over the doe, then went to the location where the doe had been and after only a minute or so, found the bullet. It had passed almost through the trunk of a small cedar. When I dug it out, I was mildly disturbed to see that it had not deformed at all. I am using pure clip on wheel weights. My reproduction of the 1896 Winchester catalogue states that they used pure lead bullets. I’m sure those would deform better. Here is a photo of the pure wheel weight, air cooled bullet that I dug out of the cedar ..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/bullet_zps4a1cefc3.jpg

The big lesson, that I’m sure the Old Timers knew very well, is to very carefully check the graduation lines on the tang sight to make sure I’m sighted at the proper range. With a 44 W.C.F., and its arcing trajectory, it makes a big difference if a fellow has the wrong setting. Yesterday, I headed out again into snow squalls, but checked the setting on my tang sight numerous times. This time it was set to 100 yards. I was looking down along the edge of the half overgrown meadow when a nice doe emerged about 50 yards ahead of me, roughly where those two smaller spruce trees are in the centre of the photo below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Hunting-trail_zps341bffe7.jpg

I squeezed the trigger and she took off, straight toward me, then veered 90 degrees into the brush and long grass. I started tracking her and found her piled up in a Cedar swamp 150 yards away. The bullet had gone right through both lungs and exited out the opposite side. I’ve never had a deer run that far before. I figure if I had used a pure lead bullet, like Winchester used to sell for these Model 1873’s, it would have expanded and the deer would have dropped sooner. Here is a photo of the deer before tagging and cleaning it. Live weight would have been an easy 200 pounds. (there are reflections of the sky and tree branches on the old rifle's receiver, it looks a lot nicer in real life).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/73-with-deer_zps04e03c0a.jpg

After taking the photo, I put this classic old Winchester back into its soft gun sock and then into its hard case to protect it during the long haul back to the farmyard of the friends where my wife and I are staying. It was an hour and a half to haul the deer back after I had gutted it. I would drag it for 15 to 25 yards, depending upon the terrain, and then get my cased gun. Total distance was about ¼ mile through swamp, fallen trees and, finally, grassy or leaf covered trails. Right now, it is skinned and hanging off a large branch on an Old Sugar Maple. Tomorrow, my wife and I will cut and wrap the meat.

Here is an older photo of the rifle that I took shortly after I acquired it. As far as I am concerned, this was its last hunt. From now on, its job will be to look pretty on the wall. I have some other vintage Winchesters that are waiting their turn. ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Desktop%20Photos/Kirks-73.jpg

AlaskanGuy
11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Very very nice beautiful old gal.. Nice curves, just what i look for in an old gal...

Doc Highwall
11-21-2013, 12:17 PM
KirkD, Congratulations! and nice write up with pictures.

harley45
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Great story on a caliber that is near and dear to my heart also, I got. Into it after I noticed it had about the same ballistics as my favored 10mms.

woody13
11-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Very nice piece of history to own and shoot. Wish to own one in the future. Nice write up.

starmac
11-21-2013, 07:34 PM
I hope the rifle don't get her feelers hurt for being forced into early retirement. lol

It looks like it did what it was made for, nice.

CastingFool
11-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Great looking rifle and outstanding story! Your photos were great, too! Congrats on the doe!

No_1
11-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Great cartridge, great rifle, great pictures, great story and great hunt. What more could one ask for.

smokeywolf
11-21-2013, 08:38 PM
As usual Kirk, a first class write-up with superb pictures. Which of you babies will be next to go on the hunt?

smokeywolf

KirkD
11-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Which of your babies will be next to go on the hunt?
That is a tough question. I have three old Winchesters that have not had their turn yet. As next fall gets closer, I'll have to choose one of them.

TXGunNut
11-22-2013, 11:16 PM
As far as I am concerned, this was its last hunt. From now on, its job will be to look pretty on the wall. -KirkD

I suppose 30-40 years from now, someone else will say that again. Someone may have said that a generation ago. Good job, good story well told. Thanks for sharing your rifle & hunt with us. Nicely done!

Charley
11-24-2013, 10:18 AM
She's too young to be forced into retirement, she showed you what she's capable of. Exercise the old gal. I've got similar story about an 1894 production 1892 in .38 WCF. She still gets to hunt with me occasionally, and is still capable of bringing home the bacon (or venison!). Of course, my rifle is a full 12 years younger than yours...

Rooster59
11-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Great story and congratulations on your success.

Iowa Fox
11-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for sharing the story & pics with us, it really takes my old mind back in time. One last great hunt with pics is a great way to retire that well preserved old girl. I remember the last shot with several of mine before I retired them but that was long before digital cameras so I just have the images in my memory.

MtGun44
11-26-2013, 07:00 PM
KirkD,

I'd like to thank you for sharing that rifle with us. I remember reading your posts about
the original load development and testing. This interested me a great deal from a historical
standpoint. I have tested many old guns with the intent of understanding what our forefathers
had as tools to do some of the feats of arms that are known to have been done. The question
always swirling in the mists of time is - was that shot a miracle or was the gun and ammo
able to do that reliably if the shooter was skilled? Is the story credible or is it likely a
tall tale? So much of historical feats of arms is potentially tall tales, but it is wonderful
to know what is actually "doable" with the equipment. So much "everybody knows"
especially about guns, is pure bunk.

I remember being impressed that the .44-40 original carbine was capable of good work at 200
yds, as you proved in testing. Of course, the reality of iron sights and grey furry creatures hiding
in gray woods makes realistic hunting ranges most often much shorter.

Keep passing along your tales of adventures with historical arms. They are appreciated,
as are the delicious photos, too.

Bill

KirkD
11-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Glad you enjoyed the report, Bill. I like to use the original Black Powder ballistics in my reloading. If I do go hunting with this '73 again, it will be with black powder and a pure lead bullet. Very tempting to think of this. In fact, if I hunt with my original '86 next year, it might be with black powder as well.

Ramjet-SS
11-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Very well done the 44-40 is one of my bucket list guns.

303carbine
11-27-2013, 07:45 PM
That 44-40 is a classy shooter, it's right at home in the setting you bagged that deer. It's your rifle, but after that hunt, I would take it afield more often.
I am planning on taking my new Winchester 1886 45-70 deer hunting this weekend, it's the right medicine for bears too.
Thanks for showing the pics

smkummer
11-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Your story has the makings of a fine article in a magazine. Of course the modern magazine is on-line. Loved reading it. On the Coltforum.com, someone posted a story of a doe he shot with a Colt frontier six shooter 7 1/2 in 44-40 with black powder.

digger44
11-28-2013, 12:45 PM
That is SOOOO super cool seeing such a classic being used on a hunt. Beautiful rifle.

CPL Lou
11-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.
I have to do most of my hunting vicariously these days and a great story is a treasure to me.
Thanks again !

CPL Lou

like it all
11-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Wonderful story, great pictures. It's amazing how well the old technology still works, despite all the changes in the past 120+ years.

JayinAZ
11-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Your story has the makings of a fine article in a magazine. Of course the modern magazine is on-line. Loved reading it. On the Coltforum.com, someone posted a story of a doe he shot with a Colt frontier six shooter 7 1/2 in 44-40 with black powder.

I saw that too, and that he got piled on by a bunch of anti- hunter libs! On a gun forum! Weird.

Poohgyrr
11-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Great thread. Congrats, and thanks as well. Using a seasoned Lever, with handcrafted rounds adds to the beauty of being out there.

TXGunNut
11-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Guy I shoot with brings a classic old Winchester of some type on almost every range trip, Sunday it will be an 1873 in 38WCF built in 1887 or 1889. As some of you know these old guns shoot very well and they're a joy to handle. If you're lucky enough to take one hunting it won't be it's first trip. I'd sure like to hear the stories they could tell.

Iowa Fox
11-30-2013, 02:01 AM
I'd sure like to hear the stories they could tell.

You and me both

missionary5155
11-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Good morning
This is my third time reading and it is still enjoyable.
Mike in Peru

KirkD
11-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Mike, I think if I were in Peru, I'd be reading stories like these more than once myself. I recall a work-related trip in an Asian country ..... after a long day, I'd settle back and read a Louis L'Amour book which was a world away from what was going on outside the walls of my room.

smokeywolf
11-30-2013, 09:06 PM
MMMMMM. The Sacketts, Flint, The Lonesome Gods. Kirk, judging by your Model '76 piece, I would pay to read an old west adventure penned by you.

smokeywolf

Catsmith
12-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Excelent story, i felt like i was with you.

w5pv
12-02-2013, 10:03 AM
These guns were the high powered rifles of their day but then any thing bigger than a .22 was a highpower rifle.This is what my old folks believed.

44minimum
12-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Congratulations Kirk. Sound like a good hunting trip in some beautiful country with the classic gun. What could be better? Oh yeah. Pictures. Very cool pictures. Especially the way you posed the gun against the surroundings.