PDA

View Full Version : Newb needs help

timtonya
11-21-2013, 10:37 AM
I have mystic red grease, lucas oil treatment, Ivory bar soap, parrafin wax, lanolin, baby oil, and Vaseline for ingredients. Does anyone have any suggestions for a recipe? I'll be pan lubing 44mag bullets. I'd like something that will stick to the bullets but do well in winter and hot Iowa summers. I really don't want the bullets sticking together if possible. Lol

runfiverun
11-21-2013, 12:48 PM
the Vaseline will soften the paraffin [so will the baby oil] but getting it to stay in the lube grooves will be the challenge without it being sticky also.

if you plan on pan lubing bees-wax really does work much better.
using that and adding 30-35% grease and about 3-5% of the lanolin will do a fine job.

timtonya
11-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks. I really don't have access to beeswax. That's why I bought parrafin wax.

fryboy
11-21-2013, 02:58 PM
lanolin will add a bit of both tack and flex , it even has some lube properties of it's own but turns liquid at a very low temp

pan lubing with some of the harder lubes can be a challenge ( just a friendly heads up ) but the harder lubes are less tacky and usually more of a narrow window of best usage

it really is hard to beat beeswax for a base , my best use for paraffin ( so far ) has been to either harden a lube slightly or in a 50/50 beeswax mix ( aka saeco green ) randy rat sells beeswax here fairly cheap and with super fast shipping , a pound or 3 doesnt cost that much and will make alot of lube ( alot of lube doubled if making saeco green )

for best use i usually have to soften my summer lube for winter use a wee bit , speed green does great in my frigid middle of the plains wasteland but not so good in my beyond bake yer brains brutal summer ( yes, i have both extremes and precious little of any kind of middle ground ) , stiffened up with a bit of carnuba and paraffin it does a bit better in my summer but there again we're back to summer/winter blends

timtonya
11-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Ya I may just mix up a batch then slowly add in parrafin till I get the consistency I'd like.

runfiverun
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
if your gonna work with the paraffin I'd try a little grease first then add about 5% of the ivory soap.
something like 1 tsp of the grease to 1.5 oz's of the wax first, then let it cool down and see what you get.

CastingFool
11-21-2013, 04:26 PM
There is a guy here that sells beeswax. I get mine locally from a beekeeper. Sounds like you have some of the ingredients for Ben's Lube.

gwpercle
11-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Save your self a lot of wasted time and money. Get the recipe for Ben's Red, buy the ingredients you don't already have and mix up a batch of tested and proven lube that works. Many have tried to throw a bunch of stuff together but there is a whole lot more to it. You will end up with a great bullet lubricant not something that may or may not work.

timtonya
11-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Well I can see your point but experimenting is half the fun. My last batch was really good and worked well. It's just too hard for pan lubing. Probably too much wax. I may have to drip coat the bullets or save up for a lubesizer.

fryboy
11-21-2013, 11:43 PM
depends upon how one frees the boolits from the pan lube .... the two methods , cutting and cracking both have their own pro's and con's , each will also have their own optimum temperature for best results , a simple addition to any lube can change this ,myself i prefer the whack it crack it method , in my humble opinion it leaves a lot cleaner often ready to load boolit ( especially if presized if needed ) there are some boolits i use that call for a lubsizer ( especially the lil .22's ) if a person isnt going to wild on velocity/pressure the tumble lubes actually make the most sense [shrugz]

timtonya
11-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Made some new lube today. 14oz vaseline, 14oz red n tacky, Lucas Oil treatment, beeswax, paraffin and lanolin. Seems really sticky and the bullets push thru great. Now to load some and see what happens.

btroj
11-28-2013, 10:32 PM
If it ends up too sticky or soft add more paraffin or beeswax. Paraffin will make it dryer and crumbles, beeswax will keep some of the sticky. Go slow and add small amounts.

timtonya
12-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Got the lube made. Pretty sticky for the bullets. Adheres well though. I have to use pliers to pull the bullets from the lube. Gonna add some more paraffin and see how that goes. Hopefully won't melt in the garage this summer when it's hot.

Idaho Mule
12-04-2013, 08:44 PM
timtonya, you got most everything you need (other than beeswax) to make R5R's Simple Lube. I have not tried pan lubing with it, but I bet with a proper cutter it would work well. I know for a fact that it "lubes" very well. JW