PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Tree Question

VTDW
11-16-2007, 10:53 AM
I love my Cabin Tree tester!!! Does anyone have a more detailed sheet/data showing Bnh by reading the guage face and comparing to the figures included with the tester?

Thanks,

Dave

Gussy
11-16-2007, 12:49 PM
The tester is set up to fall within ranges for BHN. Due to mechanical variations, testers will vary slightly from unit to unit. This is why there are ranges on the conversion chart. To make a tester more exact would require certified specs on components such as the spring, plunger and point and a MUCH higher price.

This is why the chart is not more exact.
Gus (CabineTree)

VTDW
11-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks Gussy. I am well pleased with the unit I got from you. In fact it is wonderful beyond my wildest expectations. Thank you for the explanation.

So, will it not measure past 23 Bnh? My WW/Lino at 50/50 measure 22-23 and straight Linotype measures just about 2 marks higher. Maybe I should give you a call?

Dave

Gussy
11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Actually it would measure past that, but I do not have any standards that hard to check it with. If you know the hardness or have a positive sample, you could add it to the chart.

It is not possible to add quenched or tempered bullets as there are to many variables in making them.
Gus

VTDW
11-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks again Gus.

Dave

waksupi
11-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Gussy, I did a series of quenches, with 25 degree temperature differences, and then tested them on the Cabin Tree. This gave me a very good scale of hardnesses, to relate to. I would advise anyone who wants to know what you can do with a particual alloy, to do this, and make yourself a chart. As you say, you really can't make a chart to cover everyone, due to differences in alloys, and temperature controls on various ovens.

Actually it would measure past that, but I do not have any standards that hard to check it with. If you know the hardness or have a positive sample, you could add it to the chart.

It is not possible to add quenched or tempered bullets as there are to many variables in making them.
Gus

VTDW
11-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Good idea. I asked a friend to send me a very small piece of his Lino, one of his boolits cast of WW/Lino @ 50/50 air cooled and one of his cast and water quenched that he says is 30 Bnh. I will start establishing some baselines as I would like to know the guage #s for 30 Bnh.

God, I love this stuff!!:-D

Dave