PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Lube Question???

hawgfan
11-21-2013, 12:43 AM
So I have been using Lars Carnauba Red, and it is some great stuff. My question is, Does anyone know a comparible receipe? I am looking for something as hard, if not harder. My problem is I am trying to get a ready supply of boolits lubed and ready to go, but when I put the lubed boolits in my container for storage, the lube is all over the boolits. I know this is not a big deal, but I would like to load my boolits without having to wipe them off afterwards, plus I have to clean out my die.

Plus it would be a good idea to know a good hard lube receipe, just incase. Thanks

dromia
11-21-2013, 04:54 AM
Just try mixing some beeswax in with the Carnauba Red to stiffen it some.

Personally I don't find the Carnauba Red a problem, tacky to touch yes but messy no. Have you tried BAC?

randyrat
11-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Mica and separate with wax paper, store in a cool place. Coffee is ready and off I go.

runfiverun
11-21-2013, 08:59 AM
they sell a bit harder and not as sticky recipe called carnuba red commercial.

to make carnuba red at home you'll need 7 different waxes blended in exact amounts to control the melt temp of the lube.
your on your own to figure out which 7 you'll need to duplicate glen's recipe.

if you wanna make something similar I'd start out with synthetic wax [maybe B/W 351] and natural bees wax blended 50-50, then go from there with 3% carnuba and an oil to control the viscosity of the final blend, a mineral oil based one would soften the mix easily.

geargnasher
11-26-2013, 01:09 AM
If non-sticky, loose storage is of paramount importance, consider the multitude of people who are using the various thermoset powder-coats and epoxy paints to eliminate the need for traditional lube. It might be for you.

If you want a more traditional-type lube for pistols that won't melt, is hard, very clean-shooting, and not very sticky, melt a 4-ounce bar of Ivory soap with two ounces of high-temp microwax and two-three ounces of Lucas oil stabilizer. Flow point is about 460F, gel point is around 430F, and below about 300F you can't stir it with a spoon.

Gear

Ted
11-26-2013, 02:27 AM
If you want a more traditional-type lube for pistols that won't melt, is hard, very clean-shooting, and not very sticky, melt a 4-ounce bar of Ivory soap with two ounces of high-temp microwax and two-three ounces of Lucas oil stabilizer. Flow point is about 460F, gel point is around 430F, and below about 300F you can't stir it with a spoon.

Gear

Just out of curosity how does one get this lube from pot to luber-sizer without melting every plastic/rubber part in the luber-sizer?

Ted

geargnasher
11-26-2013, 03:14 AM
Just out of curosity how does one get this lube from pot to luber-sizer without melting every plastic/rubber part in the luber-sizer?

Ted

Pour into a pan, let cool, slice into strips, pack it in by hand.

Gear

garym1a2
11-26-2013, 08:39 AM
I just pour my lube in, you just melt the lube to a temp where it just melts. This is much lower than the melt temp of rubber. Works in my Old RCBS LAM and my Lyman 450.

Ted

btroj
11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Gary, you obviously haven't used a lube like Gear is speaking of. That lube needs better than 300 degrees to begin to flow. That is way more heat than I want to put into a sizer reservoir.

Having used much lube of a similar makeup I can assure you that the cut into strips and pack it in method is the way to go. Messy, but it works and isn't going to over heat anything.