PDA

View Full Version : 94 Winchester trigger too light

pmer
11-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Hey guys, is there a way to adjust model 94 triggers. I have this old one and the trigger is too light for hunting, almost too light for anything. It doesn't seem to accidentally discharge but...

Larry Gibson
11-20-2013, 10:31 PM
If it's "old" a disassembly and good cleaning may take care of it, the sear notch could be gunked up. Other wise a good gunsmith can restone the engagement and angles if necessary.

Larry Gibson

fecmech
11-20-2013, 10:53 PM
The mainspring strain screw could be lost or backed out too far.

toomb
11-26-2013, 09:35 PM
How about lightning up a 94 trigger? Is that something that can be easily done? The trigger on mine is ridiculous.

300savage
11-28-2013, 12:29 AM
i have lightened the trigger on several, it can be be done rather easily with patience and a working knowledge of how to work on sears.
go slowly, it is also easy to go too far.
perhaps it might be wise to enlist the services of a good smith.

John Taylor
11-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Trigger pull to light? If it's not dirt then look for a worn or broken hammer notch or trigger.

missionary5155
11-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Good morning
Also look to be sure the screw that holds the hammer spring to the lower frame is not coming loose.
I do leave my hammer spring a bit loose for range and load developement then tighten it back some for hunting. 5 pound triggers for hunting are not a hinderance to me.
But do pull the rear stock and take a look at the hammer rear area, springs and sear area. Most rifles I have owned that were more than 50 years old needed a clean and scrub inside.

To lighten the pull on a Winchester 94 loosen the spring tension screw as stated above. That will lighteng the pull some if it was engaged. If you want less pull loosen the hammer spring screw 1/4 turn at a time. Pull the rear stock and check to see the screw maintains full thread contact in the spring threads. Personally at 3 pounds pull I would stop. Get the pull to low and you can have light hammer strikes. I do this for range work. When it is time to go hunting I am very happy with a 5 pound trigger.
Mike in Peru

pmer
11-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the information about the trigger. Its an oldie from 1906 in .32 Win Special, 26" barrel with a half magazine.

Welcome to the board toomb.