PDA

View Full Version : Using Commercial Lead Shot in bullet casting?????

44 WCF
11-20-2013, 08:54 PM
In the past I've used lead shot picked up from garage sales, flea markets, whatever and mixed it in with bullet casting alloy. I've always wondered if there is a max amount of lead shot that can be added to boolit casting alloy. Any input would be appreciated.
44 WCF

jmort
11-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Depends. Generally no, as it is a great base alloy going out the gate. Chilled shot may have up to 3% antimony and Magnum shot may have up to 6% antimony. You can melt as much as you want and add some tin. Also, probably will have some arsenic to boot which is a bonus.

fryboy
11-20-2013, 09:17 PM
ummm i know a guy who cast with straight magnum shot ( from the bag ) water quenches as hard as hades , i myself tend to use it more for the arsenic properties and usually figure it in as pure in my alloy , while it's true that it can have antimony etc in it the amount i add to a batch doesnt add much , however unknown quality shot gets mixed in with my ww plinking alloy as plain lead with no figuring for the arsenic it may or may not contain , in honesty it will depend upon final alloy of said shot and intended use of said alloy

cbrick
11-20-2013, 09:44 PM
I've always wondered if there is a max amount of lead shot that can be added to boolit casting alloy. 44 WCF

Definitely not over 100%. :mrgreen:

Ok, I'm being a smart **** but it is good alloy and yes it does contain As. Shot has As in it because the shot will not drop round without it. Will need fluxing due to a graphite coating that most I've used had, it will float to the surface and will not contaminate the alloy or cause any problems. Use & enjoy.

Rick

Defcon-One
11-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Magnum shot is 6% Antimony, Magnum Alloy (Hardball) is 6% Antimony, that is probably not a coincidence!

At 3% to 6% Antimony, commercial shot has always been a good bullet alloy base, requiring only a bit of Tin to make it flow better. The only real inhibiting factor is the price. If you can find shot used or at a scrap yard or yard sale for a reasonable price, it is a great base to start an alloy.

In my opinion, the accepted maximum quantity for Antimony in a bullet alloy is 6% and I think that might be the question that you really had in mind. More than 6% Sb and your cast bullets get brittle, maybe even fragile. To make even that level of Sb work, it is always good to add some Tin to the mix to toughen things up and improve castability.

I believe that the optimal quantity for Tin in a bullet alloy is about 2%, it does the job at this level without wasting anything. However, as the Antimony level rises, it is often advantageous to add additional Tin to keep the alloy from getting too brittle and maintain its malleabilty. In my opinion, the accepted maximum quantity for Tin in a bullet alloy is 5% as is exemplified by Lyman #2 alloy at 5% Tin, 5% Antimony, 90% Lead. Any more than that offers the caster no additional benefits and is truly a waste of valuable resources.

vintagesportsman
11-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Picked some up at a garage sale. Chilled #7 shot. Melted it down, fluxed, and poured some 323471's that are hard as nails! I shot some over 18 grains of 2400 with CCI 200 primers into a plastic tub filled with sand. From a hundred yards there were some that blew through the tub and out the back! Those that stopped were not even de-formed!

44 WCF
11-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the input, sounds like there may interest enough to list what I have on the swappin selling forum. I have only small amount of the garage sale stuff, but mostly the over a buck a pound stuff I bought to load shot shells with, about 40 lbs. When I was casting it was prohibitive cost to use new in plinking alloy and from somewhere I had the idea I could only use a max of 10%. If I can get $1.50 lb shipped I'll be happy. Thanks again for dispelling the myth, I should have asked years ago. 44 WCF

FishingFool
11-22-2013, 08:11 AM
I scores 100lbs of lead **** recently and it's working good. Needs tin to fill out.

smkummer
11-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Gentleman, I will trade wheel weight ingots for your shot and add extra ingots for your time. If you happen to have any number 2 lead shot I will trade double the amount of ingots for your shot.

fastfire
11-28-2013, 12:52 AM
One time years ago I was making Sturgeon weights, had some badly oxidized shot size 7 1/2 I think added it and just floated, I guess the temp was to low to melt. What temp does it take for shot to melt in lead? I see the melting temp for antimony is 1166.

cbrick
11-28-2013, 05:35 AM
It'll melt at normal 700 degrees in your casting pot. Probably what you saw floating was the oxidation & graphite coating, flux well with sawdust to return the oxidation to the melt & skim off the graphite, you'll be good to go.

Rick

tomme boy
11-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Use a spoon to push it onto the side of the pot and it will break the oxidizing and graphite coating. It will melt at normal temp if you do it this way. It also helps to break the lead slush up and get the lead off of it. Then you will have a grey powder which is the lead oxidation. Scoop it off, just be very careful as this is were you are going to get the lead poisoning from.

cbrick
11-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Then you will have a grey powder which is the lead oxidation. Scoop it off, just be very careful as this is were you are going to get the lead poisoning from.

That or simply flux the lead oxide back into the melt & be done with it.

Rick

fastfire
11-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Thank you all:)

LynC2
12-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Gentleman, I will trade wheel weight ingots for your shot and add extra ingots for your time. If you happen to have any number 2 lead shot I will trade double the amount of ingots for your shot.

PM sent

cal50
12-02-2013, 01:55 AM
I had two bags of shot that I mixed with a slightly larger amount of soft lead and it makes good bullets.
As others have said lead shot needs tin added for better flow out in molds.