PDA

View Full Version : powerbelts

jim hale
11-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Has anyone tried to cast a power belt type bullit.have not seen any posts

Lefty Red
11-20-2013, 09:13 PM
I really think its because sabots are more forgiving in the flux of bore diameters.
That and everyone thinks they have to run everything flat out with 150 grains. That is allot of recoil with such a big bullet.

Its hard to beat a soft casted bullet or an XTP. Both are better and cheaper than the PBs.

Lefty

C. Latch
11-21-2013, 09:09 AM
I once used a power-belt on deer, and the relatively lightweight soft-lead bullet disintegrated on her shoulder and didn't give an exit wound. She dropped in her tracks, but I pretty much insist on exits when I shoot deer. The design is sound, but I'd want it to weigh at least 350 grains in a .50 caliber.

My Lee mold drops a .538ish (I lapped the mold out) minie ball at right at 410 grains. I am looking forward to smacking a deer with one of those, but probably not this season.

mark2935
11-21-2013, 09:57 AM
My encore hates them. My buddy's encore loves them. The power belt bullet is a slip-fit bullet. When hunting, check your load on occasion to make sure the bullet has not slipped off of the charge. I have seen this twice with the power belt with terrible results. Yes , I am the deer camp "nanny". Whisper-don't talk. Do not slam car doors. Sight in your weapon(s) before you come to deer camp.

Mark#35

Lefty Red
11-21-2013, 10:17 AM
I think Hornady has a full size bullet out too, FPB I think.
No gasket, but hollow based and very Minnie Bullet like.

Lefty

musty nugget
11-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Out to 200yds I have only recovered 2 patched .535 round balls loaded over 90gr FF black powder. One went through shoulder joint, rib, lungs, rib and shoulder, found under hide. The other went through shoulder blade, lung, diaphragm, somehow slipped through all the gut with no punctures, and broke the rear femur, also found under hide.

waksupi
11-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Out to 200yds I have only recovered 2 patched .535 round balls loaded over 90gr FF black powder. One went through shoulder joint, rib, lungs, rib and shoulder, found under hide. The other went through shoulder blade, lung, diaphragm, somehow slipped through all the gut with no punctures, and broke the rear femur, also found under hide.

I have always figured since RB work that well, why mess with anything else?