PDA

View Full Version : Living in Oklahoma

oneokie
11-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Today, November 16th, is Oklahoma's 100th birthday-Centinental.

Some trivia about living in Oklahoma:

Things I have learned living in Oklahoma

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air

2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Oklahoma

3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Oklahoma plus a couple no one's seen before.

4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.

5. Onced and twiced are words.

6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.

7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic.
(Can personally attest to this as fact)

8. People actually grow and eat okra.

9. Fixinto is one word.

10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner, and then there's supper

11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!

12. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'

13. 'Jeet?' is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'

14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you' re done or it's too dark to see. (Then you can sneak off)

15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM OKLAHOMA IF:

1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day.

3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store'.

4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.

7. You carry jumper cables in your pickup...for your OWN pickup. (BTDT)

8. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup. We make our own B-B- Que Sauce !!!

9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
(We close the schools for a week.)

11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.

12. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.

13. You know whether another Okie is from, north or south as soon as they open their mouth.

14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' Wal-martin' or goin to 'Wally-world'..

15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good pinto-bean weather. Best meal in the world is Beans, Fried Potatoes and Hot Cornbread and Butter !!! AMEN TO THAT!! (plus some onion and homemade chow-chow)

16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop. It's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.

Example: 'What kinda coke you want?'

17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.

18. We don't need no stinking driver's ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

19. You understand these jokes and forward them to your friends from Oklahoma (and those who just wish they were).

OKIE = Oklahoma, Key to Intelligence and Enterprise

Not EVERYONE can be an Okie, it's an art form and a gift from God!

JMax
11-16-2007, 02:39 AM
That is why I left Oklahoma, got out of the service and finished school and left. I only go back to see my Dad but when he goes I don't return. I also too speech therapy to dump the accent.

Buckshot
11-16-2007, 06:03 AM
..........Couple things I recall about Oklahoma. We'd pass through on our way to Otwell, AR to see my grandparents (dad's folks). We'd stop in Erick, OK and that was the first place us 3 boys could buy firecrackers. Of other main interest was the railroad tracks ran by not to far from the motel so we'd sit and watch the trains thunder past.

When I was in the Navy and got out of school in San Diego I got orders to a destroyer in Mayport, FL. For some reason there was a detour and I got to drive through Muskogee, OK so I knew what ole Merle was taking about, and what it looked like :-)

...............Buckshot

Rick N Bama
11-16-2007, 06:43 AM
That is why I left Oklahoma, got out of the service and finished school and left. I only go back to see my Dad but when he goes I don't return. I also too speech therapy to dump the accent.

What accent? We Southerners don't have an accent! Everyone else does though[smilie=1:

Rick

hivoltfl
11-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the tribute to my home state, everything said is true and makes Oklahoma great, the only thing not discussed was the wind, I come from the northwest part of the state, we also have a saying, Know why the wind blows so hard in Oklahoma? Texas sucks and Kansas blows. :drinks:

Rick

sundog
11-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Happy Centennial Birthday Oklahoma!

NVcurmudgeon
11-16-2007, 08:16 AM
I have lived in CA and NV all of my life, but have been blessed with membership in a church which is full of Okies. As fine a people as you can find. I understand 'most everthang on oneokie's list, but ain't gotten real fluent yet!

Scrounger
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I grew up in Indiana but my family was from Kentucky but 'pears to me we talked Oklahoma; I can remember hearing everything he wrote about. Isn't this a wonderful country? There are so many different states, styles, environments, attitudes, outlooks, and ways of life. And they're all great! I haven't seen all the states but I've seen enough variety that I cannot pick any one state as being more beautiful than the rest. Truly, we are blessed.

rockrat
11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Lived in Oklahoma for many a year. Kind of an oddball here, though as I went to OSU (Go Cowboys) and OU (Go Sooners). Degrees from each one. Married a gal from there and hauled her off to Colorado.
Still have to go back and visit friends and in-laws and sometimes work also. Somehow it seems hotter down there now, when I go back, and definitely more humid. After a few days back there, the wife gets her "drawl" back.
I never really had one, but I can understand all of it. If I can understand the relatives in Louisiana, I can understand anything!!
Daughter kids her mom about her "drawl" and hearing "Y'all" for awhile after we get back home!
Sometimes I miss it there, but it quickly passes[smilie=1: