PDA

View Full Version : Sherry for cooking?

Changeling
11-20-2013, 03:26 PM
I need the name of a really good sherry for cooking (NOT the grocery store stuff) things like chicken ala king and Orenital reciepes like Beef and Brocoli stir fry.

oscarflytyer
11-20-2013, 08:57 PM
I have only ever used the cheap grocery store stuff - even on my good holiday deer roast with sherry gravy... No one seemed to know the diff...

waksupi
11-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Fino, or a not-too-sweet Amontillado, or Harvey's Bristol. Savory & James, or Wisdom & Warter.
Types of sherry: fino is the lightest, dryest; manzanilla is a slightly saltier version of fino; amontillado is older, darker, nuttier -- considered to be "medium." Any others tend more toward the sweet: oloroso, and cream.

Changeling
11-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Fino, or a not-too-sweet Amontillado, or Harvey's Bristol. Savory & James, or Wisdom & Warter.
Types of sherry: fino is the lightest, dryest; manzanilla is a slightly saltier version of fino; amontillado is older, darker, nuttier -- considered to be "medium." Any others tend more toward the sweet: oloroso, and cream.

Thanks Waksupi, I picked up a botthe of Savory & James, Amontillado, medium Sherry today, they were out of the Fino in that brand so I decided to give the Medium a go and see how it performs.
Thanks again.

Shiloh
11-22-2013, 01:43 PM
I get inexpensive sherry from the liquor store. I don't know much about it. I don't drink so only use it for cooking. Medium sherry, not the dry sherry. Stay away from cooking sherry. it has salt and other stuff in it. Brandy works good to. I stay cheap. I'm cooking with it.

Shiloh

dbosman
11-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I don't know the vintner. A Michigan winery makes onion wine. It got rave reviews when it first came out.

Wayne Smith
11-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Stay away from any 'cooking wine'. This harks back to prohibition, where wine could not be sold so salt was added to make it undrinkable and then sold as 'cooking wine'. One basic and good rule is; 'If you won't drink it, don't cook with it". I cook with wine, brandy, bourbon, scotch, rum, apple brandy, and liqueurs I buy and make. The apple brandy is rather raw but I would and have drunk it.

Changeling
11-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks Wayne, you're absolutely right! That's what led me to ask for a really good cherry to cook with.
Thanks for the reply.