PDA

View Full Version : Designing my boolit moulds

Joel Chavez
11-15-2007, 11:39 PM
I've been playing around with my CAD program the last few days designing some 30cal. boolits. I've used CAD for many years to design all my R/C planes and boats. My question to you folks is, if I decide to proceed with a run of my boolit who should I contract for the job? I've heard of Lee doing some jobs, but their QC scares me a bit. What do their moulds run like? For instance, do they run undersized or oversized? Do they follow the drawings(CAD DXF files)? I'll try and post some of the drawings as soon as I can figure it out. Thanks for your time guys and hope you have a great Friday. :castmine: and draw them too!

Buckshot
11-16-2007, 03:55 AM
..............Hey Joel, Lee will charge you a $100 setup fee and then the retail price of the mould to make something up. They will send you a page of instructions with their escape clause (tolerances). NEI will do a full on custom job and will charge you for the cherry and then the mould. Check their website for the exact prices.

Mountain moulds has a design program and so long as your design fits his you're gold. Dan doesn't do full custom moulds anymore. Most likely just due to the volumn of work in grinding tools for some of the oddities people ask for.

Other then Lee and NEI doing custom, and Mountain Moulds doing semi-custom, I'm not aware of another mould maker offering similar services.

............Buckshot

Joel Chavez
11-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the wealth of info Buckshot. I'll continue on my quest and see what the future holds for me.:mrgreen: I just think it an awesome idea to create your own boolit, load it and harvest game with it. It kind of reminds me of archery. I'd built my arrows from scratch, bow, strings and target and start flinging. What a rush!!!! Hope you folks have a great weekend.:castmine: