PDA

View Full Version : Larry Ben Gear Another Thanks

guicksylver
11-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Well Guys here is another success story.
It starts with a 1903a3 ,advertised as having a rusted, pitted barrel,
tapped for mounts, bolt turned down, after market safety, otherwise stock, with a two groove barrel.
All Remington, dated 6-43.
All cartouches present, not to mention the sling.
I took a chance, $330.00.
One patch through the bore took care of the power fouling and spider, so much for the rusted, pitted bore.
Eight treatments later with Gunslick foam to get rid of the copper fouling, I had a mint
bore.
Check the chamber and throat, tighter than a frogs behind. (they are water proof)
Retapped the screw holes to 8-40, installed a Redfield Jr s-spec mount w/rings and a mint Weaver J4.
Now for the good part.
I full length resized 20 WRA 54 cases, primed w/ WLR, charged with 18 grs. 2400 and topped it all of with
Lyman 311332, sized 311 and weighing in at 186 grs w/o GC or lube.
Remember this rifle has not been fired yet, I used six sighting in rounds to foul the bore and warm the barrel.
The next ten rounds I used for groups.
And WHAT GROUPS THEY WERE!
TWO ,FIVE SHOT GROUPS @ 5/8" MAX @ 50 YDS
Looks like the best is yet to come!
I did not pay particular attention to seating depth, nor try any other loadings, but what a start.
From here I'll NS the cases and try different loads and seating depths.

Thanks again guys for all the help.
Especially when it came to defining best practices in casting and using cast boolits.

MtGun44
11-20-2013, 02:18 PM
The 1903 Springfield and variants is one of the most accurate military rifles every
issued to any army.

Congratulations, you have a real piece of history and a finely made rifle. Enjoy.

Bill

guicksylver
11-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks Bill ....It all comes down to pay attention, PAY ATTENTION.
The other thing I learned was to cull boolits.
If you are going to go through all the work reloading make sure you have the best possible boolits, CULL, CULL, CULL.

geargnasher
11-20-2013, 11:27 PM
:drinks:

Gear