PDA

View Full Version : Thuddy Thuddy t-die and X-die?

lastborn
11-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Does anyone use the Redding 83146 trim die 30/30? From what I understand it does not resize the case like the RCBS. Is this true? Is the Redding as precise as my L.E. Wilson case trimmer?
Could someone please give a detailed description of how the RCBS 30/30 X-die works and if it has advantages over regular dies and does your brass last longer using them. Do you have to lube the case with the X-die?
Thanks

barrabruce
11-20-2013, 10:44 AM
I have no idea but I use a lee trimmer for my 30-30 and it seems to work just fine. The one that goes through the primer hole into the shell holder.

Larry Gibson
11-20-2013, 11:49 AM
I use a Forster trimmer or Lee hand trimmers so can't comment on the Redding trim die.

As to the X-die. There is a shoulder on the mandrel that, when properly adjusted, prevents the case from flowing forward. It prevents most all of the case "stretch" in the expansion ring area of the case during FL sizing. Advantages are you don't have to trim the cases except possibly after the first one. Cases do stay the same oal for a good consistent crimp. Case life is extended, most often triple at least.

I have and use the RCBS X-die in 30-30 for my 2 M94s and a Contender Carbine barrel. Generic ammo loaded fits all 3 and I've not lost a case to incipient head separation since I started using the X die. I do still NS cases dedicated to each rifle though for specific loads for each rifle. However, when FL sixing the RCBS X-die is used. I also haven't trimmed a 30-30 case in so long I don't remember the last time........

Larry Gibson

bhn22
11-20-2013, 11:54 AM
The trim die is pretty simple. You run the case up into the die, then file off everything that protrudes above the die. Since it's dimensions don't change, it'll do the same job over and over as long as everything else is exactly the same too. That said, I use a Lyman power trimmer.

gwpercle
11-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Trim die....I have one in 30-06, it works . after filing off what protrudes , they are all the same length. It is a simple basic tool, no adjustments, no cutters, spindles or anything else to go wrong. All you need is a nice sharp file and deburring tool.
Gary