PDA

View Full Version : Will Change in bullet lube allow for increase in velocity?

HPT
11-19-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm Shooting the following load in a 38-55:
- Lee 250 gr FP bullet made of 20:1
- Tried several other bullets and gun prefers the Lee
- Tried several powders and best accuracy is at about 1200 fps (above that goes down)
- Been using SPG lube

Question - If I keep the 20:1 (want bullet soft for hunting) can I expect any improvement in accuracy at increased velocities by switching to a different lube only?

FergusonTO35
11-20-2013, 02:01 PM
I assume you are using a plain base boolit. I would try a plain base gas check and see if anything changes.

MattOrgan
11-20-2013, 02:26 PM
The answer is maybe. I've never used SPG but I understand it was developed for black powder cartridge bullets. If your bullet fits your bore/throat lube can help some. If it doesn't there isn't any lube on earth that will fix it. At 1200 FPS you are at the edge of what you can easily do without a gas check or perfect bullet fit. What diameter are you sizing to? I used LBT Blue Soft for many years because it worked so well. You could even remove lead from a barrel by firing LBT lubed bullets through the bore. I now used Ben's Red because it's much cheaper and after 6-8 months of using it I think it works a bit better that the LBT. I cast and sized some bullets from my new Lee 379 250 grain FP yesterday. I haven't loaded any to see what they'll do yet.

btroj
11-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Lube might cause a small change in velocity.

Lube can make a big difference in accuracy. Huge.

HPT
11-20-2013, 09:40 PM
I have 2 Lee moulds that make the same bullet. The first mold made bullets .379 dia and the second mold made bullets .381 I have 2 sizing dies one at .380 & one at .381 Thinking that the mould that made the .379 dia maybe too small, I beagled it so now it casts .382. So I guess I have tried .379 - .382 without any detectable difference in accurracy (using the same load) and now mostly use bullets at .381 from the unmodified mold.

Larry Gibson
11-20-2013, 10:33 PM
I've tested a lot of different lubes, both velocity a pressure, with the same load out of the same rifle and found any increase or decrease is within normally expected test string variations. SPG is an excellent lube. If it works, why change?

Larry Gibson

btroj
11-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Rereading the OP it appears I misunderstood the question.

Yes, a different lube may allow better accuracy at higher velocity. Only one way to find out for sure, isn't there?

My bet is that alloy and fit will limit velocity more than lube in a 38-55.

runfiverun
11-21-2013, 12:05 AM
the gas check would allow more velocity.
a buffer would do the trick to a point too.
notice I said buffer not filler.

HPT
11-22-2013, 11:18 PM
I have a gas check mold but it didn't shoot as well as the Lee bullet with either 20:1 or #2 alloys. With the Lee mold both alloys shot about the same. Wanting to gain a bit of velocity increase while keeping using the 20:1 I am thinking about trying a couple different lubes - maybe an off the shelf lube. I find the following Lyman lubes are available locally:

Alox Lube
Ideal Lube
Orange Magic
Super Moly
Alox Beeswax

Which 2 of these would be most likely worth trying as an alternative to SPG?

TXGunNut
11-23-2013, 12:13 PM
SPG was developed for BP but it works fine over smokeless as well. I've found LLA suits my smokeless load needs from an 800 fps 45acp load to a 2500+ fps 35 Whelen load and everything in between. Many folks who don't like it use too much of it, it only takes a couple of light coats. Many of my moulds are Ranch Dog/Lee TL design so it's an obvious match. If I don't want lube on the exposed boolit noses a quick wipe with a rag dampened with mineral spirits cleans it right off. I use Lee sizing dies so I might as well use the LLA, a free bottle comes with them and I've got several years' worth on hand.
There are dozens of lube options to explore around here but so far I haven't needed to try them. As mentioned above one or more may improve your accuracy @ increased velocities, you'll just have to try them.
JMHO, of course.