PDA

View Full Version : Star Luber bullet punches

SWANEEDB
11-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Well this lump that is setting on my shoulders keeps finding things to work at. A few days ago while I was at play getting ready to size and lube some bullets but was having a dickens of a time finding that sweet spot for the lube grove, I did find it tho but the light came on to make a dedicated punch and this is what I came up with. Using 1/2 inch round brass stock, drilled and tapped center 1/4 x 28, threaded it o/d with 27 inch threads, am using RCBS seater punches with the bottom ground flat and shortened the stem. I've got quite a few molds of all different types of bullets and each time I lube it's finding that sweet spot each time, well it is now after I do some more threading and tapping i'll have a punch for each bullet variation, adjusted and ready to turn into the star sizer, I knew some day I would put to use the many RCBS seater plugs I have on hand.
?'s, just ask, I'll share.88020

ReloaderFred
11-20-2013, 12:06 PM
If you have the Star/Magma die pulling tool, the portion that screws into the punch head is also tapped 1/4-20, and will fit those RCBS seating punches. You just have to come up with a small nut to lock them in place.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Swede44mag
11-20-2013, 04:19 PM
I was going to make some punches for my Star untill I found out my 1956 Atlas Lathe will not do 27 inch threads. :-(

SWANEEDB
11-20-2013, 07:49 PM
I was going to make some punches for my Star untill I found out my 1956 Atlas Lathe will not do 27 inch threads. :-(

Yep, Leave it to Star, maybe they just wanted to corner the market at the time, I ordered a tap & die set from our local machine shop, did not ask the price, came in and $150 out of my pocket----plus tax----, and it came home with me, Ha, but it's a good set.

Old Caster
12-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Look around on the net and you can find a 27 to the inch tap and die for a decent price.

Steve Steven
12-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Heres a 1/2-27 die on Amazon for $14

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Hand-Thread-Die-TPI/dp/B008ASBXBO

and heres the tap $16
http://www.amazon.com/HSS-Right-Hand-Thread-Tap/dp/B008AS7BAG

Steve