PDA

View Full Version : Case Lube

charliek
11-19-2013, 10:42 PM
I've been hand loading a long time. When I started there were no carbide dies, but when they became available I switched right away. Now I'm enjoying a 310 tool and I'm back to carbideless dies. It has been so long since I used case lube that I don't recall what I bought, and it probably isn't sold now any way. So what do you all find useful, one of the sprays, wax, powdered graphite? Any suggestions?

11-19-2013, 11:27 PM
This stuff is excellent http://www.midwayusa.com/product/623016/sharp-shoot-r-royal-case-sizing-wax-4-oz-jar

And, it leaves an excellent aroma in the reloading area.

w5pv
11-20-2013, 09:24 AM
I use Marvel Mystery Oil cheap you can get it at any parts store,Wally world etc.I have used it for years and never stuck a case yet with it.

John Boy
11-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Bag Balm

dragon813gt
11-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Mink oil. Cheap, available everywhere and lasts a very very long time. A quick trip in the tumbler afterwards removes it from the cases. A lot of people use Imperial Sizing Wax, straight Lanolin or a mix of Lanolin and Alcohol.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-21-2013, 11:59 PM
The above list by dragon 813 is all you need to choose from; they all work excellently. I myself have been using just anhydrous lanolin for several decades and never got a case stuck. I originally bought a pound jar at a pharmacy...it was cheap then and it has lasted on and on...I still have half of it. I found that the best way to use it is to put a small amount...perhaps half a teaspoon on a stamp pad...work it in equally all around and then just roll the cases on the pad surface before sizing them. RCBS sold lube pads in kits over the years for doing it that way. LLS

dromia
11-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Hornady Unique, as good as anything out there and cheap to boot.

gwpercle
11-22-2013, 04:52 PM
I like Lee case lube. stays neat in the tube, squeeze out a dab, throw the tube in the box you keep your tong tool in. No muss no fuss.

Gary

gwpercle
11-22-2013, 04:55 PM
I use Marvel Mystery Oil cheap you can get it at any parts store,Wally world etc.I have used it for years and never stuck a case yet with it.
Last week I found an unopened gallon of the stuff in my dads tool shed...I'm just looking for ways to use that stuff...THANKS w5pv.
Gary

shooting on a shoestring
11-26-2013, 11:18 PM
For heavy duty sizing like full length sizing '06 cases I use the wally world brand of STP. For light stuff like neck sizing 22-250s, ATF.

Wayne Smith
11-28-2013, 10:20 AM
In other words, you probably have at least three options already available to you. Even a lanolin based hand creme works.

Teddy (punchie)
11-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Off name STP oil treatment ( save the empty bottles to turn upside down ). One very thin covering to start and then just a little to keep things smooth. A little graphite (powered) for color for neck sizing only.

Last for a long time on case help. Keeps looking good if out in the wet and weather, tossed around the area or left in hunting coat.

country gent
11-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Many years ago I bought 2 tins of lee imperial sizing die wax after many years shooting rifles and high power rifle matches ( several thousand rounds a year) I have yet to open the second tin of it. Its very good, easy to use, and handy in the tins. For many years I rolled several thousand 308s, 243s, or 223s in a towel with a small amount of this and ran. I used the same towel all this time Saved re impregnating the towel that way. I would really consider this product if you can find it

GOPHER SLAYER
11-28-2013, 03:03 PM
You can buy a bottle of an STP clone for less than a buck at the 99 Cent store. It will last you the rest of your life.

canyon-ghost
11-28-2013, 09:56 PM
I asked about case lubes on CBA site. Ed Harris (wrote article in NRA's Cast Bullets around 1957) informed me that they used Alberto VO5 hairdressing gel sometimes. I asked about a cheap, depression-era remedy for the revolving cycle of constantly ordering case lubes. I like some others but, they're pricey. It get expensive when you are reloading several calibers of handgun bullets. I like to save my dies and haven't encountered a stuck case to date.

This stuff:

At under $4 a tube, it's cheaper than others and last quite a while. One little dab (1/4" in diameter) will do 100 cases, especially if you are just rolling the case mouths in it on a lube pad. Contains lanolin enough, the only drawback is the "parfum", the smell. It works wonderfully and can be bought at grocery stores and convenience stores. I do really use this stuff.

Suggestion came from C.E. "Ed" Harris.