PDA

View Full Version : What size Neck Expander

Gandolf
11-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi all,

I have a 6.5x55 Swede that has an oversize bore. In a post on this same subject, it was stated that Lee will make a collet die to a specific size.

My question is: If the bore on my rifle is 0.267, and I have an oversize mold, and assuming I size the boolits to say 0.268, what diameter should the inside of the neck on the brass be?

Will a slightly undersize case neck essentially size the bullet down some by seating it in the slightly undersized neck?

Will a neck resized to the same diameter as the bullet be tight enough to hold the boolet tightly enough to prevent movement on handling and shooting?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf (new memeber, and first post)

454PB
11-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I have no experience with 6.5X55, but in general, the neck should be about .002" smaller than the boolit. This will provide a good grip on the boolit without deforming it, provided there is some flare on the case mouth. The Lyman "M" die is a great tool to prepare the case for cast boolit seating.

singleshotbuff
11-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Gandolf,

Welcome to the board!! As far as your neck size question, I use a collet die a couple (maybe 2-3) thousand less than boolit diameter for my 8mm loads. Not sure on the exact dimension, I'd have to measure it. I don't think the brass will size a fairly hard boolit down, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to give you more precise input, just wanted to welcome you and tell you what I use.

SSB

Buckshot
11-16-2007, 04:46 AM
..............Yup, 2/3 thousandths smaller. Check your casenecks' ID after each resizing. Shooting and re-sizing will workharden brass, and you'll be getting more springback. Shooting cast lead and the small amount of sizing it shouldn't be an issue for several cycles.

...............Buckshot

testhop
11-16-2007, 07:28 AM
welcome GRANDOLF
you have come to the right place for information we have the best helpers around
and thay are happy to help