PDA

View Full Version : Lube for 38 S&W revolver using a black powder sub

gcsteve
11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
I'd like to pan lube some bullets using Darr's #2 (50/50 parafin and Vasoline) to use in my 38 S&W revolver. I plan to use Pyrodex powder. Do you think this will be ok to try? The only other lubes I have on hand are White Label 50/50 and Recluse's 45/45/10. I don't think I should use anything with Alox in it with BP or a BP sub. Thoughts?

fryboy
11-19-2013, 11:12 PM
umm most will prolly say that the alox should be ok but the paraffin may tar up the barrel , in other words it'd act much like it does with real black powder
to be honest i never tried any of my darr variations with black or it's substitutes , i have used the lee liquid alox on several round ball as well as some r.e.a.l.'s , to be fair the round balls often also had either a lightly lubed patch or wad
dick dastardly made a lube ( or two ) that works pretty well , it's in the recipe thread as pearl lube , for black or pyro it's what i've been using with decent results for a couple of years now , while i load very few cartridges with black or pyro ( 44-40 only ) my hunting bud also uses it for both black powder type and smokeless cartridges ,it even pan lubes pretty good ( whack it crack it method ) to be fair i call my version pearl lube plus as i add a wee bit of carnuba and some lanolin

back to the " be ok to try " ...best way i know to tell if it works for you is try it !! if you're not shooting but a few cylinders it should be ok perhaps even more than a few with a quick cleaning now and then

John Allen
11-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Make up some Gatofeo #1 it works well for blackpowder I have been using it for years and it is pretty cheap to make. i use this for pan lubing my larger bullets and also run it through my sizer for my all my blackpowder pistol cartridges.

All you need is
1 part Mutton Tallow
1 part Paraffin Wax
1/2 Part Bees Wax