PDA

View Full Version : Poor Prior Planning Promotes P*** Poor Performance, Predictably,,,,,,

Hamish
11-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Mmm-hmm. As usual, I have managed to end up trying to get ready for deer hunting way too late.

I had held off on working up a load for the Virgin Valley .357magnum Contender barrel. No excuse, blah, blah, blah.

I was in the middle of my second trip to the range for a short accuracy testing session, and began to get FTF for a couple of shots. (I know it's NOT the primers) Then I had the action open on the shot. Hmm, that will get your attention. Next shot went off fine.

Now, I have to admit, because of health, I have not shot the Contender since about a year ago. When closing the action with this barrel I did not notice anything out of the ordinary, except for having to make sure it was "snapped" closed, and I expected that, because of setting COAL to engrave into the lands.

On the next shot it opened when fired, and then would not close until I pulled the trigger guard back, and then it refused to lock up.

I figured that something in the frame had broken, I've got thousands of shot through it, and I bought it used.

In switching frames to a virtually new frame, the barrel does not want to close up all the way, and only by snapping it will it lock up.

Hmm. I Tried several other T/C factory barrels I have on the two frames, and as you slowly close the action, they all go KLUNK, and you can feel the lugs distinctly seat.

Pretty disappointed that I am not going to be able to kill a couple of deer this year with a boolit I Honcho'd, (35 Thor) but I guess I will have to muddle through with the 14" .44.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Hamish
11-20-2013, 05:10 PM
A liitle examination and contemplation showed the locking bolts were not engaging but just how little they were actually moving up under their little ledge in the frame. Also, on the breech face of the barrel there was about a 30 degree ring of wear across the top of the breech, showing that it was not planar across the whole surface, which was part of what was holding the locking bolts high. A little judicious file work on the breech and the locking bolts and it appears I have good lock up.

Apparently an uncommon problem.

Iowa Fox
11-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Hamish, What are you planning to do with the contact with the contact betwwen the end of the barrel and the breech block in the frame. Anyone else find a cure for this?

Hamish
11-23-2013, 04:01 PM
I filed it down! In extensive reading on Mike Bellm's website, he discusses frame to barrel gap in talking about headspace. As I could actually SEE that the top of the barrel was riding against the face of the frame holding it proud of closing, well, lets just say that I was awfully surprised just how easy it is to take metal off,,,.

Iowa Fox
11-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks Hamish, Hope the old girl shoots well for you no that you have it tuned up.

TXGunNut
11-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Somehow I think this will work out just fine!